Mr Black Reverbs

Everyone needs a stompbox.
tune_link
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Mr Black Reverbs

Post by tune_link » Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:45 pm

Thinking of picking up either (or hell both) a Supermoon or an Eterna. Was wondering if any of you had either of these and liked them that might want to tell me your thoughts.....

kingmedicine
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Mr Black Reverbs

Post by kingmedicine » Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:03 am

I've had the regular Eterna, regular Supermoon, and Supermoon Chrome, and I still have a Bloodmoon. I think the general voicing of the Mr. Black reverbs sounds pretty great and they're probably my favorite smaller format pedals for a big, ambient reverb thing. I like them less for subtle room-type reverb settings, but they do still sound good for this. The reverb of the Supermoon-type pedals sounds a little warmer to me than the Eterna reverbs, but they both sound good and not super dissimilar unless you're comparing them directly I think.

I can't speak to the extra effects as much as I think the modulation of the Supermoon and shimmer effect of the Eterna get out of control pretty fast, but I primarily use them with the effects all the way off anyway.

tune_link
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tune_link » Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:19 am

kingmedicine wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:03 am
I've had the regular Eterna, regular Supermoon, and Supermoon Chrome, and I still have a Bloodmoon. I think the general voicing of the Mr. Black reverbs sounds pretty great and they're probably my favorite smaller format pedals for a big, ambient reverb thing. I like them less for subtle room-type reverb settings, but they do still sound good for this. The reverb of the Supermoon-type pedals sounds a little warmer to me than the Eterna reverbs, but they both sound good and not super dissimilar unless you're comparing them directly I think.

I can't speak to the extra effects as much as I think the modulation of the Supermoon and shimmer effect of the Eterna get out of control pretty fast, but I primarily use them with the effects all the way off anyway.
Thanks for this! Was already leaning heavily toward a Supermoon but having trouble deciding on a model. How much difference is there between the three versions? Seems like the Chrome is brighter in demos but I'm wondering if it can be more versatile if you can dial in regular Supermoon settings on it. Is that the main difference between the three is just the general voicing of the reverb?

kingmedicine
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kingmedicine » Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:39 am

tune_link wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:19 am
Thanks for this! Was already leaning heavily toward a Supermoon but having trouble deciding on a model. How much difference is there between the three versions? Seems like the Chrome is brighter in demos but I'm wondering if it can be more versatile if you can dial in regular Supermoon settings on it. Is that the main difference between the three is just the general voicing of the reverb?
No problem! Yeah, I’d say the chrome is brighter and almost more suited to ambient stuff than the others. It always sounds huge, but I think it’s less versatile because of this actually. It doesn’t really get into the more subtle range of the regular Supermoon and always maintains that brighter, sort of large ambient sound. The Bloodmoon is the same as a regular Supermoon in terms of voicing, but it’ll go 100% wet (well I think it’s the same voicing, at least much more similar than compared to the Chrome). The Bloodmoon has been the most versatile for me in that I can do the saturated shoe gaze reverb thing, but the darker voicing works better for subtle stuff than the brighter voicing of the chrome. BTW, he usually runs sales around Black Friday, so if you wait you might be able to snag a good deal on one of these.

Gav Haus
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Gav Haus » Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:41 am

Most of the above covers my thoughts too. I have an Eterna (blue) and a Bloodmoon, and used to have the standard Supermoon too. All sound great - they’re really unique; for shimmer the Eterna really beats everything else I’ve tried, including Eventide, Meris etc. I’d add that the blue Eterna is markedly more pleasant than the gold to my ear. With the shimmer dialled back it’s still a really great reverb too. The bloodmoon is really, really lush - I’m a total sucker for modulated reverb and it’s as wonky as you’d ever want. Vastly underrated pedals in my opinion, Mr. Black.
http://wearerichlist.com

tune_link
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tune_link » Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:30 am

Excellent! Thank you both so much! I also greatly preferred the blue Eterna in all of the demos. I think I know what I need to do now.

panoramic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by panoramic » Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:04 am

i've liked all of these that i've heard or tried
I used to be cool, now I just complain about prices.

tune_link
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tune_link » Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:11 am

Ended up buying a Bloodmoon based on the input here. It should be arriving tomorrow! Very stoked! Will report back on how I like it, etc.

Gav Haus
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Gav Haus » Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:57 pm

Oh you’ll like it
http://wearerichlist.com

tune_link
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tune_link » Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:05 pm

And like it I do! In fact I absolutely love it. The tone of the reverb is far more agreeable to me than the Walrus Fathom I’ve been using. It doesn’t have as many features as the Fathom of course but the only thing I’m gonna miss about the Fathom is its temporary infinite sustain foot switch. Other than that the Bloodmoon works way better for me since I use a ton of fuzz. Greatly appreciate all the input!