Warren Cuccurullo??

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
rat n' fuzz factory
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Warren Cuccurullo??

Post by rat n' fuzz factory » Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:11 pm

Anyone into him?
Just discovered his interesting processed tones and quirky lead playing, on Missing Persons and his solo stuff. But can anyone tell me which Duran Duran album/period as the best guitar, no disrespect to Duran Duran, but I don't feel like wading through it all right now.
Yeah I am aware of the Zappa period too.
Really cool sounds, I gather he use a Foxx Tone Machine for the fuzz, the distortion sounds like Rockman, but from what little I can find on his rigs he doesn't use one. Must be the sound of the Carvin amps?
love his soloing, slightly otherworldly & deranged feel to it, interesting note choices

EDIT.
yuck just tried listening to Duran Duran with Warren, hard work they sound as bad as I remember from my youth !! but there must be some good bits somewhere.

mediocreplayer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Warren Cuccurullo??

Post by mediocreplayer » Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:04 pm

I think I can safely declare myself as the biggest Duran Duran fan on this board. I love Duran Duran.

I think Warren started playing on DD albums with Notorious. This album usually gets little love, but I absolutely adore it. It is a nice mix of the faux new wave-ish pop from the previous albums with some funk courtesy of Warren and Nile Rogers. Skin Trade is the highlight of this album (and a failed single back when it was first released).

That said, you don't really listen to DD to hear interesting guitar playing, so if you do not like the band, it is very unlikely that you will find something that will make going through the Warren period worthwhile..

electric12
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Warren Cuccurullo??

Post by electric12 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:15 am

Kinda young, kinda wow!

Apparently.