EQD x DBA "Time Shadows" & ZVEX x Chase "Bliss Factory" The Pedal Movie Exclusive

Everyone needs a stompbox.
Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Re: EQD x DBA "Time Shadows" & ZVEX x Chase "Bliss Factory" The Pedal Movie Exclusive

Post by Maggieo » Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:27 am

Sold out before I even knew about them.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

Jorix
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: EQD x DBA "Time Shadows" & ZVEX x Chase "Bliss Factory" The Pedal Movie Exclusive

Post by Jorix » Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:25 am

If they are in such high demand, why don`t they put out higher numbers? It seems expensive to make a complicated pedal as the Bliss Factory and only sell 1000 units.

fever606
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fever606 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:52 pm

Because hype. They're all but guaranteed to sell out within days if not hours... that's $600k worth of product moved at near-cocaine speed. Reverb gets their cut, then gets to make an extra slice off the flip market. Double-win for them.

Oh and the R&D on the "Bliss Factory"* can't have taken more than a long weekend at most. The CBA platform is a done-deal, and the FF is so ubiquitous that grafting the two together was a bit of soldering A-to-B and some time programming the CPU. Then a couple rounds of beers. Done.

Again, I harbour no ill will toward any of the parties involved... I'm just over it.

EDIT: SO IT BEGINS... :fp:

* Seriously, what a f***ing godawful name. I was trying to not cast stones here but every time I type it my hackles go up. Ugh.

Veitchy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Veitchy » Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:49 pm

fever606 wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:52 pm
EDIT: SO IT BEGINS... :fp:

* Seriously, what a f***ing godawful name. I was trying to not cast stones here but every time I type it my hackles go up. Ugh.
WTAF? That's almost double what they went for a FRIGGING DAY AGO!

I kinda don't get flipping sometimes. If CBA charged 1000 USD for these straight up people would have justifiably called them maniacs. Two days later after they've sold out 1000 USD is still a dumb price but they'll sell for that without too much hassle. I did economics throughout high school, I understand scarcity, I understand veblen goods, but there's a key part of this specific economy that's eluding me a tad.

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:02 pm

ElephantDNA wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:20 pm
I guess the plot of the movie is how to make the same modulated reverb under 20 different names and charge $300 for it?
Now if EQD put all them in their own "big sky" or "space" then the pedal god would explode.

I dont think is same though, too gnarly, resonant, for weird phasey noise stuff

Whiny Minotaur
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Whiny Minotaur » Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:01 am

Guy from Chase Bliss told people to not buy the Bliss Factories unless you ‘really like that color scheme’ and said that he’s ‘done with limited releases’. Looks like he’s thinking of making more due to the flippers?

https://www.reddit.com/r/guitarpedals/c ... ame=iossmf
soundcloud.com/kkamaguicrow

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:10 am

Whiny Minotaur wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:01 am
Guy from Chase Bliss told people to not buy the Bliss Factories unless you ‘really like that color scheme’ and said that he’s ‘done with limited releases’. Looks like he’s thinking of making more due to the flippers?

That would be really cool of him. Especially since he and Z. Vex get along. I'm sure they could make a ton more and a bunch of money.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

fever606
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fever606 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:00 am

Last night, there were 13 listings for the BF, ranging from $700 to $1100.

This morning, there's one - currently 33 minutes old - for $750.

Did Reverb clamp down on the flippers?! Very interesting if so... the relationship with Joel/CBA being greater than the almighty dollar (which, if you've followed the "F Reverb" thread, seems... let's say out of character for Reverb)?

I'm now following this from an economic perspective, as this has become an interesting microeconomic study.

For the record, there's one Time Shadows listed for $550 as of this writing. I hadn't looked at those before, but I'll be doing so now as well.

Nick and the Noise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Nick and the Noise » Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:48 am

beninma wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:21 am
Maybe we're nearing a peak, maybe these just aren't even guitar pedals.
They're more like collector's items, which is nice for collectors I guess. You know, I used to be a collector of all sorts of random stuff. Until you get too much of it - now I just want to keep what I use. I still have to sell a lot of junk that's stored (including pedals). There's now also that minimalist trend that perhaps goes too far in the other direction (but more power to you if you just can live with having 3 t-shirts).

A lot of professionals also have a board with only Boss + MXR + Fulltone. Nothing wrong with that, it's what I prefer. I now try to only purchase pedals I use and that can be bought at any music store. Sometimes hobbies focus too much on the meta stuff like collecting, which specific rare tool to use or marketing instead of just enjoying the pursuit itself.

Then there's the elephant in the room: what about some more guitar practice instead? ;)

fever606
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fever606 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:16 am

fever606 wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:00 am
Last night, there were 13 listings for the BF, ranging from $700 to $1100.

This morning, there's one - currently 33 minutes old - for $750.
Update: The listing has been suspended... I think we can safely say that Reverb is taking action on the flippers of the BF...

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:26 am

I'm actually impressed that pedal builders have figured out how to 'instagram' their products.

Guitar effects pedals are not essential products. They realized that with limited runs you attract this different kind of buyer who want the exclusivity as much, if not more, than the actual product.

I've seen people freak out over those Chase Bliss pedals before and the builder is always like 'aw shucks, I had no idea people would be so crazy for these pedals.' ::) Yeah right, this is like the 10th time it has happened.

It's annoying to watch people exploit this system, but then I take a step back and realize people do it with all sorts of products all the time. Generally I don't want or need the items in question, but when I do... DAMMIT.

Edit: Chase Bliss is going to make more of them in a different color, and is offering a refund to all the toolbags that only wanted them for the exclusivity.

blunderbuss
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by blunderbuss » Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:18 am

I'm glad Reverb is cracking down. It won't stop folks from going to eBay to flip these. I'm also glad the manufacturer saw the error of their ways here. For my money, I want tried and true pedals. I don't really need the collectible aspect here; I want a pedal that does a job well. I think the way 1981 handles collectibility is fine. It's always the same pedal, but they release different colorways.
Ryan

beninma
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by beninma » Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:42 am

I think some of the "aw shucks" is cause if he made 10k of them right off the bat and they tanked he goes out of business.

I listened to an interview with Joel Korte a while ago and I thought he said they have less than 10 people in the company. These are fairly substantial risks if a product tanks and I think he also said 1000 is a big run for them.

Not every company wants to grow.. IIRC analogman is the same way. The wait is because they don't want to jack the prices to be mean, but they also refuse to hire a bunch of people and turn into a larger company just because they don't want to run a bigger company.

The whole thing leaves a bad taste in my mouth but it's more the collectors causing it rather than the small companies.

This is not really a pedal thing either.. this behavior exists in other non-music hobbies. There are guys that make custom bicycles that have 5+ year wait lists and such. That generally leaves a bad taste in my mouth too but not cause of the guy who wants to make all the product himself instead of becoming a manager.

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:09 pm

My Time Shadows pedal showed up this evening, and after the kids went to bed and my wife went upstairs I was able to play it AT A VERY MODERATE VOLUME through my Princeton Reverb.

First impression is that I’m fairly underwhelmed. It has some cool sounds in it, and I really need a chance to crank things up.

Chances are pretty good I will sell it on at some point down the road. I already know what I will charge.

Or... what it cost me if I can somehow verify that I’m not selling to a flipper.

Veitchy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Veitchy » Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:30 am

Honestly, good on the guy from CBA for sticking it to the flippers and speculators.

It was a while ago now, but I remember Tim Brennan being pretty disgusted when people were buying his J Mascis Fuzz Munchins and selling them a month or so later for around double retail. This is a guy who does everything he can to help out actual players, and likely wanted the pedal to go to people who'll use it, as well as honor J's vision for the pedal. That was the first time I saw a non-vintage piece of equipment command stupid money shortly after release. I think the regular music press here picked up on it. These'a'days it seems all to common. I heard Nels Cline recently quip that his Tone Concepts Goo pedal was "never commercially available" because of the launch day rush.

The idea that someone would knowingly tank the (grey market) value of their own product so that consumers can more readily have access to it is a breath of fresh air. Refunds for speculators is icing on the cake. A really classy move.