Fender "Panorama" Tremolo System -- American Performer II Jazzmaster

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Vendetagainst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Fender "Panorama" Tremolo System -- American Performer II Jazzmaster

Post by Vendetagainst » Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:57 pm

andy_tchp wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:51 pm
Vendetagainst wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:03 am
andy_tchp wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:20 am

Wait, what? Which models have the wire attached to the collet? And what method do they use to attach it?

The traditional 'wire through to the vibrato cavity' method simply has the wire wedged down between the plate and the top of the guitar, secured in place once the (6) vibrato fasteners are tightened down.
Huh weird, both me and my friend's JM (AM Pro I) has it. I guess I'll try that next time. That would make WAY more sense lol
So how were they attached to the collet? The only way I could see that working would be with a large ring terminal secured by the collet itself, which would actually make a good mechanical connection in spite of the movement.

Were these instruments purchased brand new, as all pictures of American Professional Jazzmaster bodies from the likes of Stratosphere/Reverb show the stranded wire pressed down adjacent to the treble-side hole like this?
Well not totally sure about my friend's JM, but I built mine myself and a guide told me to attach it to the collet. My Warmoth trem did come with a toothed washer, I attached it to there between the collet and the washer. That's an interesting point about a ring terminal, I'll definitely consider that.

blunderbuss
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by blunderbuss » Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:38 pm

Having spent some time with the Panorama (belated NGD someday), I have to say it feels really really good. A bit more stable/musical than I expected. I really quite like it.
Ryan

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:29 pm

Vendetagainst wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:57 pm
Well not totally sure about my friend's JM, but I built mine myself and a guide told me to attach it to the collet. My Warmoth trem did come with a toothed washer, I attached it to there between the collet and the washer. That's an interesting point about a ring terminal, I'll definitely consider that.
The 'toothed' washer is a lock washer to prevent the collet loosening mechanically, and is absolutely not designed to have any involvement/interaction with wiring.

Disregard anything that 'guide' says and sandwich it between the plate and the body like Fender/every other builder does it.
Last edited by andy_tchp on Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

Vendetagainst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Vendetagainst » Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:05 am

andy_tchp wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:29 pm
Vendetagainst wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:57 pm
The 'toothed' washer is a lock washer to prevent the collet loosening mechanically, and is not absolutely not designed to have any involvement/interaction with wiring.

Disregard anything that 'guide' says and sandwich it between the plate and the body like Fender/every other builder does it.
Yeah, you're right, it would make way more sense to sandwich it between the body and the plate. I recently acquired some Kapton tape, so I'll fix it the right way tomorrow.

Ricey
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Ricey » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:57 am

I sent an email to Fender product support and they replied that the Panorama tailpiece is a direct, no mods required drop in replacement for all Fender vintage style Jazz/Jag Trems. They also indicated, "the problem is that it is not currently available as a replacement part" and they made no indication as to if or when it would be made available. They will probably start using it on the the next update to the AmPro Jaguars and may want to try and sell a few new Panorama equipped Jazzmasters and Jaguars before they make it available as a replacement part?

Vendetagainst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Vendetagainst » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:35 pm

Ricey wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:57 am
I sent an email to Fender product support and they replied that the Panorama tailpiece is a direct, no mods required drop in replacement for all Fender vintage style Jazz/Jag Trems. They also indicated, "the problem is that it is not currently available as a replacement part" and they made no indication as to if or when it would be made available. They will probably start using it on the the next update to the AmPro Jaguars and may want to try and sell a few new Panorama equipped Jazzmasters and Jaguars before they make it available as a replacement part?
Thanks for emailing them, it's good to hear that it fits in a standard route. Sucks that they don't even know when it'll be released though.

blunderbuss
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by blunderbuss » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:16 pm

Encouraging that they mentioned an Am Pro Jaguar.
Ryan

Futuron
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Futuron » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:57 am

Ricey wrote:
They will probably start using it on the the next update to the AmPro Jaguars
Was that their words or just your thoughts?

Veitchy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Veitchy » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:38 pm

Ricey wrote:
[emphasis mine]

That's my thinking - aside form Stratosphere and similar chop-shops I don't see it being available for at least a year, possibly longer depending on what their designs are with the Jags. Certainly not as a spare with a part number.

HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HNB » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:42 pm

I always run grounds to the bridge thimble. I hate having a wire in a cavity where a piece of metal is moving up and down. LOL I know it is the vintage way, but I would rather have less stuff in the tremolo area.
Christopher
Lilith Guitars

Vendetagainst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Vendetagainst » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:34 pm

HNB wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:42 pm
I always run grounds to the bridge thimble. I hate having a wire in a cavity where a piece of metal is moving up and down. LOL I know it is the vintage way, but I would rather have less stuff in the tremolo area.
Unrelated, but that Jazzmaster in your profile picture looks beautiful!

Veitchy wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:38 pm
Ricey wrote:
[emphasis mine]

That's my thinking - aside form Stratosphere and similar chop-shops I don't see it being available for at least a year, possibly longer depending on what their designs are with the Jags. Certainly not as a spare with a part number.
You're probably right, but I hope it won't take that long. I'm really itching to get that trem for my guitar. Guess I'll keep on checking Stratosphere and Darren Riley's everyday.

HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HNB » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:58 pm

Thank you. I built that one inspired by my wife.
Christopher
Lilith Guitars

Ricey
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Ricey » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:04 am

Fender only explicitly indicated in their email that the Panorama tailpiece was a direct drop in replacement for current versions, that it is currently only available in the American Performer II Jazzmaster, and that it is not yet available as a replacement part. When I wrote that they will probably update the next iteration of the American Pro Jaguar with the Panorama and that they probably want to sell a few of the newer guitars before making the Panorama available as a part, that was merely personal speculation. Sorry for the confusion!

Ricey
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Ricey » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:11 am

Here is the exact text of Fender's email reply to me:

"Doug James (Fender)

Nov 19, 2020, 17:36 MST

Hey there,

Thank you for reaching out to us. The Panorama Tremolo System is the same footprint as the original, there would be no modification needed to install it onto your guitar. The trouble is, we do not currently offer this part for sale. I am not sure when the product team will release it for individual sale. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Cheers,

Doug James

Gear Advisor

Fender Musical Instruments Corp.

17600 N. Perimeter Dr., Ste-100

Scottsdale, AZ 85255

(480) 845-5136

Hello,

Can you please tell me if your new Panorama Tailpiece assembly will retrofit with no or minimal modification on my 2011 Fender Classic Player Jaguar HH?

Thank you for your assistance."

Bradley-Jazz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Bradley-Jazz » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:39 am

Ricey wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:11 am
Here is the exact text of Fender's email reply to me:

Thank you for reaching out to us. The Panorama Tremolo System is the same footprint as the original, there would be no modification needed to install it onto your guitar. The trouble is, we do not currently offer this part for sale. I am not sure when the product team will release it for individual sale.
I find the “when” in there encouraging. Suggests it will happen.
All the cheeses....