Buying staytrem arm. But what do i have?

For help with setups and other technical issues.
jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Buying staytrem arm. But what do i have?

Post by jorri » Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:42 am

I was considering a Descendant vibrato, but i think for price i have gone off that, and would rather buy a Squier Jag with a tiny bit more.

But, my trem isnt functioning even as well as a squier, is the real problem, and doesnt necessarily need overcompensating with best tech.
I like the arm extended higher. But i put tape on it weekly and the collet teeth have snapped a while back in some modification attempt. Plus the collet sometimes unscrews.

I think the staytrem would be ideal, then. But i have no idea what i have!
Just listed as an old tremolo unit on eBay ten years ago, looks a bit battered.

Main features are a patent number, it has narrow string spacing plus looks thinner with a chromed lock button so i guess its MIJ and needs the 10mm thread.

***Plus any other suggestions for a trem? Is there a cheaper one available now? Its £30 ish for the staytrem so perhaps a new model has something as a part to buy. Never liked the narrow spacing either i think exacerbates the bridge issues.

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Buying staytrem arm. But what do i have?

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:52 am

Hey Jorri!
Pics would help identify - but maybe you can do it yourself with a look at this: https://www.alphabetcityblog.com/2012/0 ... emolo.html there are some crucial points that make distinction pretty clear.

I got both a AVRI and a Japanese unit - both with Staytrem Arms and Bridges - and both work wonderfully fine, stay where I want them to, smooth action and great range! Totally worth the 30 bucks!

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:01 pm

Thanks, that made it easy, i think its the string spacing. Although something off about it, like the lock button is rounded off and chromed, not flat- maybe its aged or an early MIJ, was labelled as 80s and always thought the pivot point was uneven.

Think i'll have a browse to see if any Mexican units are possible to find, or anything like that. To me it must have lock button. Not with narrow spacing, and not cost MIA price otherwise Staytrem is going on my quirky one.

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:31 pm

Underneath distinguishes some trems. See some pics here ...
https://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/vi ... 5#p1525263

Also MIJ has a more elongated, less circular hole in the top plate for the collet ...
https://darrenriley.com/product-categor ... -tremolos/
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:22 pm

timtam wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:31 pm
Underneath distinguishes some trems. See some pics here ...
https://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/vi ... 5#p1525263

Also MIJ has a more elongated, less circular hole in the top plate for the collet ...
https://darrenriley.com/product-categor ... -tremolos/
I dont have much luck with posting images here...

But yes its strange. It seems to have features of both.
Rounded button. Narrow spacing. Looked MIJ from underside. Round tremhole.
Did someone go at it with a drill as its hardly neatly round?
Well its clearly aged too, well worn. I barely remember how i obtained a decade ago for Warmoth parts but recall it was 'vintage tremolo' without information plus a lot less price than american listings.

The collet looks japanese. With the anti-slip ring. Come to think of it the arm that it came with was without a notch like MIJ.
I will go for that metric type!

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:36 am

I think I have worked out what I want here. I need to prioritise having a non-worn, non-broken trem.
I think if the strings were aligned unlike MIJ it would only help. I still get a certain buzziness or a popped high E off its groove i am sure could be resolved or just sound better - no need for overkill with a staytrem or descendant. My squier trem on my vi holds its arm very well...

Does anyone have a link for an MIM or USA trem in the UK for sale?

-i thought MIM would save cash, but i would need to get a mexican arm, or a usa collet.
-usa is probably top range so may go for that.
-everything has $20-30 plus customs although may have found cheaper, still importing, on ebay.

hwestman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hwestman » Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:28 am

This budget solution is a pretty good one. I've gone the same route and use the CIJ trems with Staytrem and Halon arms respectively.

This is a fantastic upgrade and I feel absolutely no need for upgrading the the trems (vibratos).

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:26 am

hwestman wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:28 am
This budget solution is a pretty good one. I've gone the same route and use the CIJ trems with Staytrem and Halon arms respectively.

This is a fantastic upgrade and I feel absolutely no need for upgrading the the trems (vibratos).
I feel with the wider avri spacing maybe id be rid of the minor bridge buzz . As dont want to upgrade that too! And maybe the collets are better, my squier one (no lock) holds its arm well but MIJ (old rusty trash one though) not so goodm