Soft V shaped neck on Jazzmaster?

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
jonnyrocket
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Soft V shaped neck on Jazzmaster?

Post by jonnyrocket » Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:29 am

Recently I got into Jazzmasters and Offset guitars and have been wondering a few things:

1. Why are Soft V shaped necks so rare among Jazzmasters?
2. Why do most Jazzmasters have a Rosewood or Pau Ferro fingerboard instead of maple?

I mainly play Strats and Teles and there seem to be a greater variety of neck shapes and fingerboard wood among these. I prefer maple fingerboards as well as Soft V shaped necks so I have been thinking of getting a Strat neck and put it on a Classic Vibe 60 Jazzmaster. Has anyone here tried a neck from the Jimmie Vaughan Strat on a Jazzmaster?

I had that guitar a long time ago and loved the neck!

cheers,
Jon

Bradley-Jazz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Soft V shaped neck on Jazzmaster?

Post by Bradley-Jazz » Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:43 pm

I think it’s down to “authenticity” - the original v necks were on early production Strat models, before the Jazzmaster came into being, and similarly, when the Jazzmaster came out in 58, it was only available with rosewood, and strats and teles were switching over to rosewood at the same time. So you won’t find maple fingerboards on any JM that is trying to give a vintage look.

V necks were changed to C on strats in the 50s as the V was (and probably still is) an acquired taste, so is one of the less used neck profiles today.

A Strat neck *ought* to fit a Jazzmaster, but only one way to know for sure.....
All the cheeses....

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:15 pm

Bradley-Jazz wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:43 pm
...A Strat neck *ought* to fit a Jazzmaster, but only one way to know for sure.....
Yep. One of the unforeseen pitfalls of early Jazzmasters is how close the necks resembled those on a Strat. I've heard several stories of Jazzmaster necks being removed, their headstocks being re-shaped & the decal being switched to a Strat. Then, suddenly, you can sell a $1000 Jazzmaster neck for $5,000.
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

jonnyrocket
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by jonnyrocket » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:11 pm

Thank you both for your input. It sure makes a lot of sense!

I'm usually not very picky about neck shape but I often do feel soft V necks are more fun to play for me.

Maple vs. Rosewood, I for some reason always gravitated more towards maple fingerboards. I think what I prefer about them is that they feel more solid and smoother to me. I often feel the wood grain on Rosewood fretboard. Another advantage I like is that maple does not need oil and seem more hearty. I have not compared the same guitar with Maple vs Rosewood so I'm not sure I would notice a different in sound. I know many people believe they sound different.

I will keep looking for a neck with a maple fingerboard for the Squier Jazzmaster. Once I do I will report back!

HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HNB » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:13 pm

My next build is an all maple v jazzmaster. The v neck shape isn't for everyone. I like it though. Had to get a strat neck since you don't see many v Jazzy necks or all maple ones. :)
Christopher
Lilith Guitars

Singlebladepickup
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Singlebladepickup » Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:31 pm

Hopefully it's for me, because I've never played one but have one on the way soon

BarnyardCoral
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BarnyardCoral » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:53 pm

Bradley-Jazz wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:43 pm
A Strat neck *ought* to fit a Jazzmaster, but only one way to know for sure.....
It does. I have a Roadhouse Strat neck on my CPJM. Radius matches the bridge now, 22 frets, and truss rod adjustor at the top of the neck instead of the heel. The way it bloody well should have been from the start when they came out with this model.
And I will be the one to hold Larry Csonka down, kiss him so hard, I'll take Larry Csonka's breath away...
*Scheckenbacker on TGP

HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HNB » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:50 pm

Yeah strat necks fit Jazzy's fine. They have the same heel shape and scale length. Coronado necks and other full scale Fender necks fit also. Just not telecaster necks because they have a square heel.
Christopher
Lilith Guitars

Jan Deal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jan Deal » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:26 pm

I have a soft V neck on my MJT Jazzmaster, which also happens to have a maple fingerboard. When I decided to get a Jazzmaster 10 years ago, the fact that these options were not available to me was why I went down the parts route. I know the shape isn't for everyone, but it's my favourite.

I'm a big fan of maple fingerboards too, I just think that there is some more immediate about them. In reality, I doubt it changes the sound of the guitar (brighter/darker tone), but I think the tactile feeling changes how you play and how the guitar reacts to how you play.
Seas, Starry : Fuzz / Pop / Noises

"Gorgeous, soaring waves of guitars which feedback and squall deliriously with fluid and organic rhythms”

www.seasstarry.bandcamp.com

jonnyrocket
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by jonnyrocket » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:17 am

Jan Deal wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:26 pm
I have a soft V neck on my MJT Jazzmaster, which also happens to have a maple fingerboard. When I decided to get a Jazzmaster 10 years ago, the fact that these options were not available to me was why I went down the parts route. I know the shape isn't for everyone, but it's my favourite.

I'm a big fan of maple fingerboards too, I just think that there is some more immediate about them. In reality, I doubt it changes the sound of the guitar (brighter/darker tone), but I think the tactile feeling changes how you play and how the guitar reacts to how you play.
Totally agree about maple feeling more immediate! To me it's so much more enjoyable and every time I grow from a maple neck to a rosewood, I feel like there is something in the way. Never though about it in these terms but that's just how it feels to me! I will try getting a neck from a Jimmie Vaughan strat and will report back once I put it on the Jazzmaster. It will be a while though.

2after909
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by 2after909 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:25 am

Hey, yeah, I tried my jimmie vaughan strat neck on one of my jazzmasters. Worked fine. If you want a jm with soft v neck with a maple board I think your idea to mate a jv neck with a classic vibe body is a good one.

jonnyrocket
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by jonnyrocket » Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:10 pm

2after909 wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:25 am
Hey, yeah, I tried my jimmie vaughan strat neck on one of my jazzmasters. Worked fine. If you want a jm with soft v neck with a maple board I think your idea to mate a jv neck with a classic vibe body is a good one.
Thanks! It’s great to know that you have tried this specific neck on a Jazzmaster and that it worked fine!

I will look for a used neck and will report back once I get one.

Cheers,
Jon