Everyone needs a stompbox.
Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: RATs for grownups

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:43 am

stevejamsecono wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:55 pm
Fantastic. And yeah, I've noticed the Rat functions best (at least in my setup) as the end of the line, so-to-speak, so I've been trying to tailor my gain-staging accordingly. It makes for a great fuzzy sound without all the stuff I typically don't care for in fuzzes.
That's something I haven't messed with in a while. My gains (in order) are: Catalinbread Naga Viper > IdiotBox Effects Power Driver > Magnetic Effects Lonely Robot > EQD Westwood > EQD The Dunes. I have my treble booster first because all my gain pedals sound pretty good with the treble booster driving them if I want a little extra. The sound I found that I always had in my head was the Naga Viper > The Dunes, so I put The Dunes last. I'm kinda wondering if I should try my Lonely Robot (RAT-type) last. Never done that.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:01 am

I usually like highest gain first, although when I was using a treble booster that was first because it wanted to be and that worked.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:20 am

marqueemoon wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:01 am
I usually like highest gain first, although when I was using a treble booster that was first because it wanted to be and that worked.
That's kind of how I have mine arranged. I usually have the Lonely Robot set at a higher gain than the Westwood or the Dunes.
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by stevejamsecono » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:07 am

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:43 am
stevejamsecono wrote:
Fantastic. And yeah, I've noticed the Rat functions best (at least in my setup) as the end of the line, so-to-speak, so I've been trying to tailor my gain-staging accordingly. It makes for a great fuzzy sound without all the stuff I typically don't care for in fuzzes.
That's something I haven't messed with in a while. My gains (in order) are: Catalinbread Naga Viper > IdiotBox Effects Power Driver > Magnetic Effects Lonely Robot > EQD Westwood > EQD The Dunes. I have my treble booster first because all my gain pedals sound pretty good with the treble booster driving them if I want a little extra. The sound I found that I always had in my head was the Naga Viper > The Dunes, so I put The Dunes last. I'm kinda wondering if I should try my Lonely Robot (RAT-type) last. Never done that.
Do you tend to use them separately (aside from the NV) otherwise? I'm honestly pretty new to using more than one gain extra gain stage, so the idea of stomping off something before stomping on something else is pretty foreign to me.
And you find out life isn't like that
It's so hard to understand
Why the world is your oyster but your future's a clam

Resident Yamaha Fanboy

COYS

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:18 am

stevejamsecono wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:07 am
Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
stevejamsecono wrote:
Do you tend to use them separately (aside from the NV) otherwise? I'm honestly pretty new to using more than one gain extra gain stage, so the idea of stomping off something before stomping on something else is pretty foreign to me.
Sometimes, yeah. I always have 5 gains on my big home board, but usually only use 1 per song. I've got the Power Driver, Lonely Robot, Westwood, and The Dunes in a bypass looper, so I usually preset which gain I'm using beforehand, and then turn it on or off with the loop pedal. The only switching I do or the loop pedal or the Naga Viper during the song, which are right next to each other.

stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by stevejamsecono » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:30 am

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:18 am
stevejamsecono wrote:
Shadoweclipse13 wrote:

Sometimes, yeah. I always have 5 gains on my big home board, but usually only use 1 per song. I've got the Power Driver, Lonely Robot, Westwood, and The Dunes in a bypass looper, so I usually preset which gain I'm using beforehand, and then turn it on or off with the loop pedal. The only switching I do or the loop pedal or the Naga Viper during the song, which are right next to each other.
That's super interesting and seems really practical. Any photos of that setup? I'd be curious to see it.
And you find out life isn't like that
It's so hard to understand
Why the world is your oyster but your future's a clam

Resident Yamaha Fanboy

COYS

soggy mittens
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by soggy mittens » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:21 pm

I've always had my overdrive that I stack with the turbo rat before as I like the sound of pushing the input more than boosting an shaping the output. :)
If OSG has tort me anything...

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:05 pm

stevejamsecono wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:30 am
Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:18 am
stevejamsecono wrote:
That's super interesting and seems really practical. Any photos of that setup? I'd be curious to see it.
Thanks man! Here's a picture of it as it is right now (everything loose on a table to figure out final pedal order before permanently mounting them to a board):

Signal chain (please excuse the SUPER shitty drawing from Paint (I prefer using the grid lines in Illustrator ;) ):
(EDIT: I hate how the BOSS LS-2 has the send and return jacks on the opposite sides of traditional bypass looper pedals. It makes no sense).

soggy mittens wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:21 pm
I've always had my overdrive that I stack with the turbo rat before as I like the sound of pushing the input more than boosting an shaping the output. :)
So Turbo Rat > overdrive or overdrive > Turbo Rat?

soggy mittens
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by soggy mittens » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:46 pm

um...if looking at it from the start of the signal chain to the end.

guitar----overdrive----rat----amp.

I just find pushing the input of the rat makes it crumble in a nice saturated way. :)
If OSG has tort me anything...

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:57 pm

I like the idea of having dirt options in a loop like that.

I've been waffling about building a bigger board with a volume pedal and simple loop switcher for a while now, but it feels dumb/pointless in plague times.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:03 am

soggy mittens wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:46 pm
um...if looking at it from the start of the signal chain to the end.

guitar----overdrive----rat----amp.

I just find pushing the input of the rat makes it crumble in a nice saturated way. :)
I'll have to try that! I've never put my TS-type before my RAT-type. Might be fun. I always put the TS-type at the end, like Gilmour always used the Colorsound Power Booster after his Muff/Fuzz Faces, to be a basic EQ and final volume.

marqueemoon wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:57 pm
I like the idea of having dirt options in a loop like that.

I've been waffling about building a bigger board with a volume pedal and simple loop switcher for a while now, but it feels dumb/pointless in plague times.
I always did too. It's handy having that many options at your fingertips/toes.

I hear what you're saying, but I think pandemic/plague times, where we're at home just chilling, is the BEST time to do it! My second signal splitter came in the mail the other day, and I actually hooked up 3 amps today as a wet-dry-wet thing. Overkill? Absolutely. Fucking epic and a lot of fun? Absolutely.

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:44 am

tdbajus wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:46 pm
jorri wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:04 pm
tdbajus wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:43 pm
This is interesting:

https://www.electrosmash.com/proco-rat
Thats where i got info for changing these in my clone.

The ruetz mod simply discards one.
Much like a tone pot you can however tune the resistance affecting gain or tune the capacitance affecting frequency.
40db, not sure id unbelievable or not, its below guitar frequencies. It does say "dec" so i think that means an order of magnitude (10*) not octave (2*).
Ah. Thanks.

jorri wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:04 pm
Also has information on the components causing the high end rolloff effect i mentioned when gain is dimed. This possibly could be tuned? Also has info on why lm308 may be favoured and why it may be due to not changing one of the caps to suit particular chips which would have desirable effects too.
Can you dumb this down a little bit for me? Would I put a resistor between C8 and ground to lessen the slope?
I cant remember, i think is called "slew rate" on the site. C3. For perhaps matching non-lm308 chips better without having to get one- or just get one? Idk if there is a socket in the official rat because desoldering is hard.

Or C8 is the tone control. What i did is use a smaller cap, or a larger one, (the next values up maybe) actually both on a switch. But smaller one had less slope of tone control, and found more mids still in there when turned it down instead of darkening too much.

Almost all caps there will have SOME affect on high end. Caps generally filter. Except the huge one for power supply that just filters the power in, improving noise and interference. The 100pF might be the one causing the rolloff with gain, but info is there somewhere.

Often C5 C6 R4 R5 are fiddled with for clones. They are like distortion frequency response.
It takes some experimenting as a lot of options. Like on an eq control, caps are frequency and resistors are gain. They change character of it not just like a tone control.

But one popular mod was to clip out the 47 but that completely turns the device into something unrecognisable and too dark imho- like a TS808 with the tone control rolled off- its just easy for no soldering.
If want less ice pick can raise the 47 value maybe 100. More fullness try lowering the 560 to 470 or 330.
If want just different flavour, like a deeper sound maybe try bigger caps, like for bass or drone metal usage!