Guitar Heist of the Day

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
shoule79
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Guitar Heist of the Day

Post by shoule79 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:29 pm

s_mcsleazy wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:47 pm
My favourite way to piss off a Radiohead fan is to say "oh yeah, they did wonderwall"
When we fought once I told her I preferred the Bends to OK Computer. That was the beginning of the end...

sookwinder
Mods
Mods

Post by sookwinder » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:18 pm

BoringPostcards wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:09 pm
It's trendy to hate really pivotal artists these days.
what ? I stopped listening to the latest "modern music" that is played on the radio or where ever in the early 1990s. I had no idea what or who Radiohead were. I was asked by some friends to get a dozen live and studio bootlegs of Radiohead while I was in Japan on business in the mid 2000s.

I sourced/bought the Radiohead CDs and while in Japan listened to them all.
Cannot recall any of the 12 discs of music, nothing was memorable, nothing was "whistle-able", nothing was "out there on the edge" or to use your word "pivotal", it was just mundane boring shit. That was the last time I can think I have listened to Radiohead.

To quote a famous US philosopher …. it is what it is.
relaxing alternative to doing actual work ...

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:42 am

sookwinder wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:18 pm
BoringPostcards wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:09 pm
It's trendy to hate really pivotal artists these days.
what ? I stopped listening to the latest "modern music" that is played on the radio or where ever in the early 1990s. I had no idea what or who Radiohead were. I was asked by some friends to get a dozen live and studio bootlegs of Radiohead while I was in Japan on business in the mid 2000s.

I sourced/bought the Radiohead CDs and while in Japan listened to them all.
Cannot recall any of the 12 discs of music, nothing was memorable, nothing was "whistle-able", nothing was "out there on the edge" or to use your word "pivotal", it was just mundane boring shit. That was the last time I can think I have listened to Radiohead.

To quote a famous US philosopher …. it is what it is.
Maybe I should have specified. It was pivotal to my generation of musicians, as in people born from 1980 to 85ish or so.
They're not even particularly a favorite of mine. I am going on experience here. From my time playing in high school bands up until well into my university years, there wasn't a single musician I met or played with, who wasn't influenced by Radiohead's first few albums.
Maybe it was different elsewhere, but up here in Canada, they were a very popular and hyped up band.
Their hype died down a bit, when they started experimenting with electronica, and picked up again around the release of Hail to the Thief.
I find it hard to imagine anything from The Bends or OK Computer being forgettable in any way, but music is a subjective experience.
I was really into Sonic Youth during that whole time period, and I found it hard to get anybody in to them, however they're known as a very important band.
You'd never know it at the time, as nobody ever wanted to listen to them, or cover their music.
It is what it is.
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:52 am

Different generations have their bands, and some people get rather offended that the kidz these days don't recognize their greatness.

There are two main ways one will miss the train: 1)if you come into some pop-culture juggernaut way after they were relevant or 2) if you stumble onto a pop-culture juggernaut after you are relevant in terms of your age, tastes, and whatever else.

Listening to Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Radiohead, Public Enemy, Elvis, Nirvana, Prince, Michael Jackson-- or whoever was the king or queen of your decade of 'youth'-- for the first time with tween/teenage ears could be mind blowing. Listening to the same band for the first time in your 30s, 40s, 50s, or beyond will probably not hit the same way. Your brain is wired differently. Is Robert Plant a dynamic bard/balader or a howler monkey?

I still enjoy finding new music and trying to discover 'lost' bands from around the world that make/made catchy tunes. But a band like Tool? I feel like there is a very small (and powerful/important) window of time where the right flavor of angsty teen will really fucking like them and end up being a fan for life. Outside of that window it's a crap shot.

jakeisjake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jakeisjake » Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:16 pm

Ceylon wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:03 am
it's things like this that makes me want a "like" button.
If I was a byrd, I'd be mighty sore every time they shut the door and I don't think I'd sing...

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:29 pm

Jaguar018 wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:52 am
Different generations have their bands, and some people get rather offended that the kidz these days don't recognize their greatness.

There are two main ways one will miss the train: 1)if you come into some pop-culture juggernaut way after they were relevant or 2) if you stumble onto a pop-culture juggernaut after you are relevant in terms of your age, tastes, and whatever else.

I still enjoy finding new music and trying to discover 'lost' bands from around the world that make/made catchy tunes. But a band like Tool? I feel like there is a very small (and powerful/important) window of time where the right flavor of angsty teen will really fucking like them and end up being a fan for life. Outside of that window it's a crap shot.
Pretty much this. Tool were a fun band to jam along to, when I was 15. I can't imagine going out of my way to hear them nowadays.
I only ever really liked Undertow and Aenima, and only in the way that I wouldnt complain, if you put it on in your car, and I didn't protest to my bands covering a song or two.

What I will never understand is people who outright dismiss bands, without giving them any credit whatsoever.
You can dislike Radiohead all you like, but denying their influence in the music world, or to deny their musicianship with phrases like 'oh, yea. They wrote Wonderwall' is peak hipster behaviour.
Reminds me of people who dismiss the Beatles or the Beach Boys, because their music is simple in the context of today's music, but they fail to consider that the band really was pushing ground in their time.
There isn't a Music school in the world that doesn't cover Pet Sounds at some point in the curriculum.
There also isn't a band in existence, that isn't derivative in some way or another. I understand, that older folk heard Radiohead, and heard all sorts of derivative elements, but the same argument can be made about any band that hits it big.
The average person doesn't get the references and derivations. The average person only knows that this band is new, and that they're interesting.
I can only think of a few bands, whose influences are really hard to spot. Most bands, that break out of an underground scene, are obvious in their influences, but only to those who are in the know.
Nirvana, for example. Nobody, who wasn't keen on their local scene, knew they sounded a lot like the Melvins when they blew up. A lot of people still never heard the Melvins, yet Melvins fans, and Buzz himself, will talk trash about Nirvana and their fans to this day.
Seems petty. I tried to get into the Melvins. I find them boring, and understand why they didn't blow up.
Also, Buzz is a real asshole. That being said, they're good musicians, and his guitar tone is great. Their overall sound and catalog just doesn't do it for me.

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:17 pm

Nothing to do with being "trendy".

"Pivotal" or not, some people genuinely just don't like those artist's songs. And I rate "The Bends" as a really good, perhaps even "great" album, even today. But from there I don't have much interest. I bought "OK Computer" when it came out and was probably the right age/demographic to become the annoying superfan people complain about, but it just doesn't do anything for me outside of a couple of moments. I listened to it a handful of times after buying, it's been in its case since then, I have no desire to hear it again.

Common theme for me with them (and the Beatles) is the grating vocals.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:28 am

andy_tchp wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:17 pm
Nothing to do with being "trendy".

"Pivotal" or not, some people genuinely just don't like those artist's songs. And I rate "The Bends" as a really good, perhaps even "great" album, even today. But from there I don't have much interest. I bought "OK Computer" when it came out and was probably the right age/demographic to become the annoying superfan people complain about, but it just doesn't do anything for me outside of a couple of moments. I listened to it a handful of times after buying, it's been in its case since then, I have no desire to hear it again.

Common theme for me with them (and the Beatles) is the grating vocals.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Cosigned. For me they have a lot in common with the Beatles, both bands being part of a cohort of bands for people who often don't seem to like music just a band in particular. See; Queen, U2, Oasis, Michael Jackson, The Foo Fighters and...even Coil (who I love beyond all reason). You know the sort that buys every format/edition/reissue/merch.

With Radiohead I get they are competent and all that, clearly talented and have a some good songs but I always thought them Disco Inferno for Dummies (they might even agree with this). Radiohead were smart or lucky enough to cultivate a following through releasing a really studenty singalong indie style first album suitable for the MTV mindset and they managed to take this following with them. On the other hand the likes of Disco Inferno and Bark Psychosis only really broke into the consciousness of more active followers of music and unfortunately they had more good reviews than records sold and sadly they pretty much gave up when early 90's spud rawk crushed even fringe interest in anything even remotely 'progressive'. (I remember being one of six at a DI concert around this time)

Speaking personally, Radiohead's great impact was I guess heralding in an era of 'indie' type singers who weren't flat and totally offkey. Though it's certainly unfair to blame them for all the landfill mewling emotion that came after.

I do understand Jaguar018's thoughts on how and when you come to a band*, I guess this is why I never really felt anything when I heard the OK Computer on music because, I'd already heard DI and Talk Talk and other stuff they are well in hock to and wasn't too bothered with the indie rock veneer.

D

*with me that might well be Unknown Pleasures aged 12 or 13, which would I guess formed the light source of a music beam that's continued to widen even now. I guess it would easy to dismiss them in such a way in hindsight and I struggle myself to see them lumped in with leaden 'legends' of rock like they were somehow the same thing but it is and at least Joy Division are heard and loved by new audiences, even if I'm hiding behind the sofa at some of the baw shriveling merch and cringey live debacles because I believe you should buy merch when a band is still trading or forget it (and I even forgot that in favour of actual clothes) and I somewhat frown upon splinter members touring their old rope down the bottom of the barrel. I do still love Joy Division and play the records every year or two but I feel a bit sad inside when I see youngsters in tees and the like because I really want 'the kids' to fucking alienate me with their horrible noise (like I did) and not be all retro schmetro boxed set with their grandads bands and reunion tours.
Last edited by shadowplay on Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Are you loathsome tonight?

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:12 am

Some of us grew up in places were it was impossible to follow music on such a deep level.
I am not less of a music lover, because I grew up on the island of Newfoundland, where you only had local acts, TV and radio for the majority of my life, am I?
Only after the internet came around was I able to dig into the influences of the artists, who I discovered via said sources.
Zines didn't exist here, nor did underground radio stations. Subscribing to record company newsletters and release lists was an option, but then you had no record store to get it from.
The local record stores refused to take chances on anything unheard of, due to people ordering stuff and never actually buying it.
I had notebooks full of bands to look up someday, most of which were obtained from interviews of popular artists. Still had no way of getting anything prior to mIRC.
When I showed up for university in mainland Canada, I spent a big chunk of my scholarship on records. I was like a kid in a candy store.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:21 pm

Apparently Gibson has reached out to some of the people that were due to get these guitars, and have expressed condolences and said that they were going to make the guitars again but in this case different and unique from all the others. They are keeping it a surprise, I guess.

I think that's a nice touch.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

sookwinder
Mods
Mods

Post by sookwinder » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:43 pm

[puts on tin foil hat]

Could this be a big conspiracy by Gibson to at last get some good press for once … i.e. Gibson were the bandits that stole the guitars in the first place.
One of the truck drivers gave a description of the thieves and the following was created by Police artists:

:D
relaxing alternative to doing actual work ...

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:58 pm

Very diabolical of Gibson, I see that now. Without question, these were a bunch of poorly constructed guitars from a factory that cannot make good guitars due to quality control issues, so instead they rappelled onto the truck, killed the driver, and drove the eighteen wheeler off a cliff.

All to cover up the orange peel on the finish and the tool marks on the binding. Someone should do something! Someone should alert the press... wait, is that the doorbell? Who would ring the doorbell this late at night? Everyone's asleep... it's just me...
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:22 pm

Larry Mal wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:21 pm
Apparently Gibson has reached out to some of the people that were due to get these guitars, and have expressed condolences and said that they were going to make the guitars again but in this case different and unique from all the others. They are keeping it a surprise, I guess.

I think that's a nice touch.
I think so too. Especially considering the amount of profit they were set back by having to recreate these. After all, these guitars were already sold.

Will be interesting to see how they spice it up for them

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:39 am

Unicorn Warrior wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:22 pm
Will be interesting to see how they spice it up for them
Robo tuners and bowling ball finish! :w00t:

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923