NBD - Sherwood Green Player Mustang Bass

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
vistavision
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NBD - Sherwopod Green Player Mustang Bass

Post by vistavision » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:57 pm

marqueemoon wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:45 pm
I hate P/J setups, but the Sherwood hides the bridge pickup well. :)
P/J is the HSS of basses. It's the lazy manufacturer's choice. My short scale Talman bass immediately had the J pulled out.
Of course my main bass is an '04 P-Bass Special I'll never get rid of so I'm kinda playing both sides!
I'm sure some Fender dealer in '64 looked at the new Duo-Sonic II and thought, "That's not a Duo-Sonic. That's a Mustang".

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NBD - Sherwood Green Player Mustang Bass

Post by BoringPostcards » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:37 pm

It looks great. I love the blend mod.
I don't understand the hate for P/J combo.
Sure it looks super awkward, but Jazz bass bridge pickups sound good, and are ideal for lots of different styles, especially pick style and fuzzy bass lines.

I love the necks on Mustang Basses. Someday I'll get one to go with my Jazz Bass. Not a P Bass fan at all. They sound fantastic, but I never played one that didn't have an overly wide nut and uncomfortably fat neck.
I'll likely inherit my father's P Bass someday, and I guess I will get used to it, because it ain't going anywhere.
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

HarlowTheFish
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HarlowTheFish » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:42 pm

Yeah PJ hate I don't get - if you don't use the J then don't use it, but knocking it (and HSS, as above) as the cop-out option is a cop-out: darned PJs (and HSS whatevers) are crazy versatile, can be used for just about everything, and even if you never use the J or the H or the SS in either setup, the only way I see either as a problem is if they're actively impeding you in getting the setup dialed in how you want, but I've run into maybe two guitars where that was a problem and it was because of other underlying issues.

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:03 am

Another vote here for PJ setups. It's all the goodness of a P bass, with a lil' more if you want.

The blend pot is a really nice modification. My shortscale PJ has individual volume knobs, which I really like.
This is an excellent rectangle

Futuron
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Futuron » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:15 am

Wanted one of these (sherwood!) for a while before the pandemic, but ended up getting a vintera instead. Not quite as good a colour, but I like its feel & sound more than the player bass even though it only has 1 pickup. I didn't need a 3rd P/J bass...

Nice idea to add the blend knob, my precision bass has one, I prefer it to the usual aproach of individual volume controls. I actually find it quite bizarre to have a 3-way switch on a bass.

vistavision
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by vistavision » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:23 am

BoringPostcards wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:37 pm
It looks great. I love the blend mod.
I don't understand the hate for P/J combo.
Sure it looks super awkward, but Jazz bass bridge pickups sound good, and are ideal for lots of different styles, especially pick style and fuzzy bass lines.
It's funny, I record and gig a Fender with a P/J setup and my bass has the Jazz neck, so super comfy. But having worked in a music shop for a long time, seeing basically every guitar manufacturer go straight to a P/J setup it just seemed obvious and lazy after a while. Also, I understand why its done, though.
I'm sure some Fender dealer in '64 looked at the new Duo-Sonic II and thought, "That's not a Duo-Sonic. That's a Mustang".

burpgun
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by burpgun » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:33 am

I’ve got some PJs and the only one where I actually get something out of the set up is on my US Jaguar. When you have both pickups on there’s a switch that goes between series and parallel and while I don’t know which is which, one of those settings is really good and sounds nothing like a stock PJ with both pickups going. It’s just very full and driving.

My other beef with J pickups is that if you play with any dirt the hum is really annoying in a way it’s not on guitar. I’d like to put a noiseless J in my Jaguar but the wiring setup inside that bass is crazy. On my Mustang I never use the J pickup and if the bass has any issue, the stick switch is already broken.

HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HNB » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:36 am

I like J pickups honestly. They are more clear in the ones I have tried. I don't use them individually. Kinda like a Jazzmaster where I use middle position. :)
Christopher
Lilith Guitars

Bradley-Jazz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Bradley-Jazz » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:02 am

Thanks for the kind comments, all!

On the PJ thing, I only have this one bass and find the flexibility of the set up is useful for me - i do make use of the J pickup. Though I did notice when researching the bass and blend pot, that the PJ set up is regarded as absolute heresy by quite a few people!
All the cheeses....

dc
Expat
Expat

Post by dc » Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:10 am

Bradley-Jazz wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:45 pm
Hi everyone,

I've recently received my limited edition Player Mustang Bass PJ in Sherwood Green....

Sounds good, feels good, and it's a cool colour!
you have to do much in the way of setup on yours? I favor a low action generally, but with the factory setup i'm finding that even with ye olde 2-finger playing and drawing the strings across the body (as opposed to "up"), the low E and often the A are terribly clack-clack against the frets. what's your experience?
in the coldest night / huddled 'round the dying embers

burpgun
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by burpgun » Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:50 am

dc wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:10 am
Bradley-Jazz wrote:
Hi everyone,

I've recently received my limited edition Player Mustang Bass PJ in Sherwood Green....

you have to do much in the way of setup on yours? I favor a low action generally, but with the factory setup i'm finding that even with ye olde 2-finger playing and drawing the strings across the body (as opposed to "up"), the low E and often the A are terribly clack-clack against the frets. what's your experience?
I play in drop D which challenges short scales just a touch, and my solution for improving volume balance for lowest strings and reducing clacking was to put heavier flats on then I normally use on a long scale. My lowest string is a 105 and the Mustang plays much better.

HarlowTheFish
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HarlowTheFish » Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:33 am

Even on a 34" bass I run a 105+ on a low D for tension and prefer flats for the added stiffness.

Bradley-Jazz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Bradley-Jazz » Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:33 pm

burpgun wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:50 am
dc wrote:
Bradley-Jazz wrote:
Hi everyone,

I play in drop D which challenges short scales just a touch, and my solution for improving volume balance for lowest strings and reducing clacking was to put heavier flats on then I normally use on a long scale. My lowest string is a 105 and the Mustang plays much better.
I have .045 to .100 D’Addario Chromes flats on mine, and it doesn’t suffer from excessive fret buzz. I’m in standard tuning though. If I dig in with a pick I can get the strings to hit the frets, but I find it sounds good with a lighter touch anyway.
All the cheeses....

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:15 pm

dc wrote:

It's a short scale bass so strings used on long scale basses may not work the same way, so you will have to find the the string gauge and height of action which suits you.

It may need a trust rod adjustment to put some relief in the neck as well.

It's a compromise between these things