Incoming NGD: By Zeus, now what did I buy? Orpheus semi-hollow

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
wproffitt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Incoming NGD: Christ, now what did I buy? Orpheus semi-hollow

Post by wproffitt » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:06 am

As someone who teaches Latin and Greek for a living, I can tell you that this is a MUCH better thread title! As for the writing on the pickups, it's definitely Cyrillic (Orfeu) which is interesting because all of the other photos I've seen of these have logos in the Latin script. I'd guess this one wasn't built for export outside of the Soviet bloc.

Ceylon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Incoming NGD: Christ, now what did I buy? Orpheus semi-hollow

Post by Ceylon » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:25 am

wproffitt wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:06 am
As someone who teaches Latin and Greek for a living, I can tell you that this is a MUCH better thread title! As for the writing on the pickups, it's definitely Cyrillic (Orfeu) which is interesting because all of the other photos I've seen of these have logos in the Latin script. I'd guess this one wasn't built for export outside of the Soviet bloc.
All right, by popular demand I'll change the title :D

Indeed these were apparently made both for the domestic market and for export. Interestingly though, according to a string of comments I saw either on Youtube or some forum says the exports show up under both the Orpheus and Orfeus name. Might be for different markets, or just variations due to whatever I suppose.
Science Friction burns my fingers
Electricity still lingers

antisymmetric
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Incoming NGD: By Zeus, now what did I buy? Orpheus semi-hollow

Post by antisymmetric » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:04 pm

Ceylon wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:12 am
But the combination of the sweet, swinging looks, the loving wear, the semi-hollow body with a Jazzmaster-inspired vibrato and the iron curtain-era Bulgarian origin all just got to me.
I totally get that and would have grabbed it too. If there's enough coolness/redeeming features going on with a guitar, it's usually possible to work out any issues and help it live up to its potential. May not be viable in terms of getting your money back, but if you like it enough, who cares?
The Iron Curtain thing is potentially my next rabbit hole. I live on the wrong side of the planet when it comes to shipping costs from Europe, but amazingly I recently found a Jolana Rubin locally, so there's my start down the slippery slope. :ph34r:
Watching the corners turn corners