PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Recommend Me An Amp.

Post by seenoevil II » Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:05 am

jvin248 wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:38 am

Orange 35RT or any of these amps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKWhhRznr54
Lol. Gorilla. Total flea market amp. Yeah, need some air moving headroom, not maxed out hairball transitors. Though, one of my favorite amps is a Squier 15 watt SS duder. The most gnarly sounding amp ever.
If it wasn't for disappointment, I wouldn't have any appointments.

ElephantDNA
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ElephantDNA » Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:01 pm

DRRI sounds about right here. Seems like it does what you want it to do.

hexes
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hexes » Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:14 pm

hot rods are safe and boring, but also totally fine, plus there are a handful of mods for them.

that said, I'd like to play one of the new 68custom silverface vibroluxes. i love the originals. I've never liked deluxe reverbs much. there are so many cheaper amps nowadays that do a LOT (egnater tweaker series is very intriguing. choose your power tubes, flip some switches, play.)

but amps made without labor violations ARE expensive. i've been building my own for this very reason. get what I want for less than a new hotrod deluxe, and learn about electricity!

seenoevil II
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by seenoevil II » Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:38 pm

hexes wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:14 pm
but amps made without labor violations ARE expensive. i've been building my own for this very reason. get what I want for less than a new hotrod deluxe, and learn about electricity!
Speaking of boring and safe, the blues Jr. might the only amp anyone needs. I've recommended it to so many people and never heard a complaint. If I didn't already own my bass breaker, I'd get one of those in 2 seconds. But I like my bass breaker and intend to keep it, and those two amps are so similar, I can't see having both.
Itd be like owning a Ford Fiesta, and a Focus (do they still make those?)

Honestly, I've always been ok with Mexican fender stuff. Unless somebody wants to ruin my day by saying fender treats their Mexican employees terribly. They're my neighbors, I like supporting industry down there. Besides, historically, fender always used cheaper Mexican labor. Except instead of being in land annexed from Mexico, now its in actual Mexico.

As for kits. I'm the dumbest kind of smart. I'd understand the process in the abstract, but id never be able to chase down the mistake that I'd inevitably make after I switched it on and smoke came out.

DiAmoroso
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DiAmoroso » Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:28 pm

You need a Line 6 Pod Go, Helix, Kemper, any good modeler, and in ear monitors. Probably the best move I ever made for live performances. I love my tube amps, still have an Orange TH30, Fender TRRI, and a Vox AC15, but will probably never use them on a stage again.
www.littleevilmusic.com

Sauerkraut
Expat
Expat

Post by Sauerkraut » Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:36 pm

seenoevil II wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:38 pm
hexes wrote:
Speaking of boring and safe, the blues Jr. might the only amp anyone needs. I've recommended it to so many people and never heard a complaint.
I’ll be the first then; I’ve met quite a few and never gotten one to sound good. To me, they’re shrill little screamers incapable of warmth. I’m sure they can be modded into something better, but why bother when there and loads of better alternatives in that price/size segment: peavey 30, ampeg j12, vox ac15, to name a few

redchapterjubilee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by redchapterjubilee » Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:03 am

DRRI with your choice of speaker for whether you want something inefficient for earlier breakup or leave it clean and mean for a pedal platform.

SAVEStheDAY
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SAVEStheDAY » Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:32 am

HarlowTheFish wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:23 am
I'll toss an oddball in and say maybe one of the Hughes & Kettner Tubemeisters
I second that, I've got the older Tubemeister 18 and it can handle everything you can throw at it. It's completely stuffed with features.

HarlowTheFish
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HarlowTheFish » Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:57 am

SAVEStheDAY wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:32 am
I second that, I've got the older Tubemeister 18 and it can handle everything you can throw at it. It's completely stuffed with features.
OP mentioned wanting to move away from the EL84 thing, and I'll say that it's the amp that has the least '84 pitfalls out of everything I've played - somewhere between a Tweed Junior and an AC15 in tone (AC bass & treble, Tweed mids) when clean/slightly dirty, and basically splits the difference between an old Mesa Nomad 45 in Extreme mode (brighter & bloomier Mark-whatever tones) and a Marshall when cranked.
There's also the Black Spirit 200, which is solid state (and smaller and lighter) but has a bit more power amp headroom and less of the EL84 singy sizzly upper mids. Sounds a touch darker to my ear (mostly just because it can pump out more bass) and is a bit drier in the initial attack because of the headroom but the preamp voicing is a bit more compressed.

hexes
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hexes » Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:58 pm

seenoevil II wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:38 pm
hexes wrote:
Speaking of boring and safe, the blues Jr. might the only amp anyone needs. I've recommended it to so many people and never heard a complaint. If I didn't already own my bass breaker, I'd get one of those in 2 seconds. But I like my bass breaker and intend to keep it, and those two amps are so similar, I can't see having both.
Itd be like owning a Ford Fiesta, and a Focus (do they still make those?)

Honestly, I've always been ok with Mexican fender stuff. Unless somebody wants to ruin my day by saying fender treats their Mexican employees terribly. They're my neighbors, I like supporting industry down there. Besides, historically, fender always used cheaper Mexican labor. Except instead of being in land annexed from Mexico, now its in actual Mexico.

As for kits. I'm the dumbest kind of smart. I'd understand the process in the abstract, but id never be able to chase down the mistake that I'd inevitably make after I switched it on and smoke came out.
for actual fender, i only own mexico fender guitars. no american stuff.

as for the blues jr. highly disagree. it does not produce a sound I favor, but it's fine in the hands of some people.

and kits are good, lots of instructions included. i have never built from a kit though. i source all the parts myself and drill my own turret boards. cheaper that way. and, what has helped me learn is failure to notice something small that could lead to a failure.

seenoevil II
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by seenoevil II » Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:58 pm

I was looking at mojotone and they'll assemble the kit for you for a charge. Even so, you can get a hand wired DR for 1600. That's kinda wild.
Last edited by seenoevil II on Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MirageIndigo
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by MirageIndigo » Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:33 pm

What's your actual budget? Matchless clubman is right out?
Dumb question, but waht do you play? I'm guessing you're playing a jazzmaster?

The DRRI I really nice, the RI Vibrolux (the 2x10) is also really great. I just sold my 1995 DRRI to a friend but only because I built a princeton BFR head with master volume from scratch.

The DRRI is a great amp.
-> grab a dummy powersoak of some sort. I was using the weberMASS 50W. Super useable. The DR goes from useable to too loud really fast, but a power soak is a must. You set up for the edge of breakup with the guitar coil output range, then dial in the stage volume with the attenuator.
-> I highly recommend the "reverb on the normal channel" mod.
-> I had a weber P12N in mine.

Tafarel
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Tafarel » Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:03 pm

Used Dr. Z Jetta -- it meets all your requirements. Solid bass, chimey, clean; can be played at bedroom levels at necessary, but has all the oomph you need in anything but the largest venues.

I was looking for similar and once I found this amp, my wanderlust has ended. It is better for my needs than my Morgan AC20 or Goodsell Super 17, although both are amazing amps.
"I'm nostalgic for conversations I had yesterday. I've begun reminiscing events before they even occur. I'm reminiscing this right now. I can't go to the bar because I've already looked back on it in my memory, and I didn't have a good time."

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:08 am

andy_tchp wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:45 pm
Larsongs wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:36 pm
How about an SM57 on the Amp thru whatever your using for vocals.. PA or whatever....
From the OP:
seenoevil II wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:39 am
I have run into problems.

Ameteur shows that are bigger with only a very basic PA set up. I'd max out the amp and lose all semblance of headroom and be left with a hideous, sputtering tone.

Medium actual venue stages where despite there being ample monitoring and reinforcement, the single 10" just dissappears in the open air and the wedge monitor winds up being louder than the actual amp on stage.
If those are problems you'd have, it sounds like the OP needs a DRRI....... Not too big, not too small, good headroom... good Cleans... Plenty loud... Works very well Mic'd...