Q. for Larry Mal re. Eden WTDI

Everyone needs a stompbox.
timiscott
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Q. for Larry Mal re. Eden WTDI

Post by timiscott » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:22 am

Sorry to intrude, but I've got a WTDI arriving and I was wondering if you could give any advice re. settings etc. that work. I'm using a PJ format bass into a DAW via a Scarlett. I'd really appreciate it as I struggle with bass sounds!

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Q. for Larry Mal re. Eden WTDI

Post by Larry Mal » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:59 am

Hey buddy! I guess the main thing I could say is that the thing is very versatile and you can actually dial in some very authentic and different sounds to it.

You start off with the Gain knob, getting that up there and riding the Master output in conjunction with the compressor can give you a very aggressive sound. Take the Gain knob down and putting the the Master up will give you a cleaner sound obviously and you can get a nice Motown type thump that way.

It's worth mentioning that this thing is pretty extreme, actually. I have no idea what the compression ratio is or any of the other parameters there, but I can tell you that a little is a lot with that knob. Put it up to where the "2" would be results in a lot of compression, I can't imagine going past "5" for any reason.

I'm actually going to post the manual here since I had to look some stuff up to write this and figured why not:

The bass EQ is deep (30 Hz) and has a lot to it (15dB). You'll note that mid-shift button there, you can make the mids be lower 550 Hz or higher at 2.2kHz. I tend to just use the lower setting.

As I recall I used to enjoy putting the bass knob up a little bit and the treble also the same amount, while decreasing the mid range on the 550Hz setting by about 20%, I put the Gain to about 3, compression at about 2, and the Master output at whatever makes sense with your recording interface.

The bass boost button is fun, and it sounds good... but you might quickly find that it's too much there. The bass has to live with the kick drum and the other low end stuff and while boosting the bass sounds really cool it can overwhelm a mix.

Just some thoughts... all that being said, it's a pretty easy to use pedal and it really does work. It's a well designed product and I'm sure you'll be dialing in usable sounds in no time.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

timiscott
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Q. for Larry Mal re. Eden WTDI

Post by timiscott » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:40 am

You are a god-send! Thank you sooo much for taking the time out to post this - the generosity is greatly appreciated!