$350 ASAT Classic Stupid Deal

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: $350 ASAT Classic Stupid Deal

Post by BoringPostcards » Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:16 pm

HarlowTheFish wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:51 pm
mbene085 wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:48 pm
BoringPostcards wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:45 pm
ASAT is an acronym for anti-satellite weapons systems. Leo loved naming things after military stuff. He must have been a history buff.
I've heard many hypotheses that he named G&L after military hardware, but the official story is that ASAT stood for "After Strat, After Tele" to signify that it was the evolution of his design work.
Have also heard "A Strat, A Tele" because Leo loved making new, better things, and didn't get that people got attached to specific models -- this was his "F y'all this does all those tones but more and more better ya dinguses".
That is Leo romanticism at best. The ASAT was originally released as the Broadcaster, but Leo got hit yet again by Gretsch, so he went back to the prototype name early in the production.
He definitely was not making a statement.
The Broadcaster versions are rare and are the most expensive vintage G&L. They are all black with Leo's signature on the headstock or body.

Here is one on Reverb:
https://reverb.com/item/5486294-g-l-bro ... 1985-black

Also, I just found the CLF Research video posted a year ago, where Dave McLaren explains the history of the ASAT, and he confirms it as Anti Satellite missile:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar-f6L5X2F4
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

HarlowTheFish
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HarlowTheFish » Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:12 pm

BoringPostcards wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:16 pm
HarlowTheFish wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:51 pm
mbene085 wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:48 pm

I've heard many hypotheses that he named G&L after military hardware, but the official story is that ASAT stood for "After Strat, After Tele" to signify that it was the evolution of his design work.
Have also heard "A Strat, A Tele" because Leo loved making new, better things, and didn't get that people got attached to specific models -- this was his "F y'all this does all those tones but more and more better ya dinguses".
That is Leo romanticism at best. The ASAT was originally released as the Broadcaster, but Leo got hit yet again by Gretsch, so he went back to the prototype name early in the production.
He definitely was not making a statement.
The Broadcaster versions are rare and are the most expensive vintage G&L. They are all black with Leo's signature on the headstock or body.

Here is one on Reverb:

Also, I just found the CLF Research video posted a year ago, where Dave McLaren explains the history of the ASAT, and he confirms it as Anti Satellite missile:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar-f6L5X2F4
Yeah it's a complete garbage story, but it's hilarious and every time I tell it to someone they laugh their butts off when they hear it, then again when I tell them it's crap and that it's named after exactly what it looks like :D

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:47 pm

Now I'm kind of feeling weird about buying it for the guy. He can always return it and get something else I guess.

I guess it's a free guitar. But if he gave it to me I'd never play it.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:52 pm

Larry Mal wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:47 pm
Now I'm kind of feeling weird about buying it for the guy. He can always return it and get something else I guess.

Why? They're fine guitars in every respect. He will likely love it, if he likes Teles.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:00 pm

BoringPostcards wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:52 pm
Larry Mal wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:47 pm

Why? They're fine guitars in every respect. He will likely love it, if he likes Teles.
Yeah, I don't know. He'll be happy, or he'll put it in a closet or something. Maybe it's just enough Telecaster that satisfies him on the concept. He's been a guitar player since the 60's, he has a 50's era Les Paul Junior Special... he knows guitars, and if a Telecaster meant that much to him then he would have one. But maybe this will be just enough.

I did ask him if he liked Telecasters when he was playing mine, trying to feel him out. I was hoping to get him a used American Standard but I only had about $400 to work with. I once had $600 to work with and got him a nice Les Paul Studio but the third partner dropped out.

It was this or a Strymon Iridium, and frankly, I didn't like mine very much and he already has a recording chain he uses all the time.
Last edited by Larry Mal on Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Veitchy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Veitchy » Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:02 pm

Pepe Silvia wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:05 pm
I put the MFD pickups from a ASAT Special into an early AVRI Jaguar, it was pretty cool, but in really enjoyed how they sounded in the real ASAT Special I had. My only issue was it was heavy, you couldn't tell it was semi hollow and it wasn't resonant. I want to try again though.
You know, I've often wondered this exact thing - how would Jumbo MFDs sound in a Jag. How did you find them compared to the stock pickups, specifically once they were in the Jag?

Pepe Silvia
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pepe Silvia » Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:04 pm

Veitchy wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:02 pm
Pepe Silvia wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:05 pm
I put the MFD pickups from a ASAT Special into an early AVRI Jaguar, it was pretty cool, but in really enjoyed how they sounded in the real ASAT Special I had. My only issue was it was heavy, you couldn't tell it was semi hollow and it wasn't resonant. I want to try again though.
You know, I've often wondered this exact thing - how would Jumbo MFDs sound in a Jag. How did you find them compared to the stock pickups, specifically once they were in the Jag?
I felt like there was experimenting to be done to determine optimal pickup placement. But I think there was something there. I need to find pics of it.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:05 pm

BoringPostcards wrote:

Here is one on Reverb:
And it's two thousand dollars... also, it's been up for a while, it hasn't sold at that price.

G&L guitars are seriously underrated on the used/vintage market, just like Mike says.

I love G&L, I have four of their basses- the best in the world- and one electric. All excellent.

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:28 pm

Larry Mal wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:05 pm
BoringPostcards wrote:

Here is one on Reverb:
And it's two thousand dollars... also, it's been up for a while, it hasn't sold at that price.

G&L guitars are seriously underrated on the used/vintage market, just like Mike says.

I love G&L, I have four of their basses- the best in the world- and one electric. All excellent.
I have only ever owned an ASAT special, but I plan on getting a Doheny V12 with the special humbuckers one of these days, and would alsp like a Skyhawk reissue. I have played many G&Ls over the years, and especially enjoyed the Comanche and S500s, that I've played.
The S500 I played was the old style body, which is basically the same as the Skyhawk reissues, down to the pickups and all.
We've had a few good discussions about G&L.
They are seriously underrated, especially amongst Fender fans. I figure it is the headstock for the most part, because the average factory model is better than a US standard and a fair bit cheaper used.
I agree about the basses. Love them. Excellent pickups and a huge sound on just about every model in their lineup.

HarlowTheFish
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HarlowTheFish » Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:10 am

I think the only moderately dubious model I've ever seen them do is the Ascari/Fiorano with the Strat-style carved-top body but a LP-ish headstock and a pretty garbage control layout. Notice I said "moderately dubious" -- I don't think they've ever done a bad model, at worst just weird and a bit naff-looking.

The Tributes with US pickups sound better than probably anything in the price range, and the newer Fullerton Standard stuff at high-end Fender MIM/low-end Fender MIA prices is ridiculous value, with some incredible QC and great playability. I remember them saying the idea was to get the custom-order quality down to production prices, and it really shows.

Pepe Silvia
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pepe Silvia » Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:00 pm

Larry Mal wrote:
BoringPostcards wrote:

Here is one on Reverb:

It is now sold. Were all the Broadcasters inspected by Leo? This could be the guitar that makes me give up my Tweedy SG

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:13 pm

Ha! Shit, what do I know.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:15 pm

I do know that I've had a G&L L-1000 that was made in the early 80's, I've had it since '95 or something.

Early G&L is incredible. So is modern era.

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:55 am

Pepe Silvia wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:00 pm
Larry Mal wrote:
BoringPostcards wrote:

Here is one on Reverb:

It is now sold. Were all the Broadcasters inspected by Leo? This could be the guitar that makes me give up my Tweedy SG
Leo did indeed inspect all the Broadcasters, and many of them even have his signature in the cavities or on the neck joint.

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:58 am

HarlowTheFish wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:10 am
I think the only moderately dubious model I've ever seen them do is the Ascari/Fiorano with the Strat-style carved-top body but a LP-ish headstock and a pretty garbage control layout. Notice I said "moderately dubious" -- I don't think they've ever done a bad model, at worst just weird and a bit naff-looking.

The Tributes with US pickups sound better than probably anything in the price range, and the newer Fullerton Standard stuff at high-end Fender MIM/low-end Fender MIA prices is ridiculous value, with some incredible QC and great playability. I remember them saying the idea was to get the custom-order quality down to production prices, and it really shows.
I remember the Asciari/Fiorano models. They were Tribute line only, I believe. Don't think they ever made any in the US. The headstock was from an old model that was never released called the G200, which was designed by George.