Is there a pedal that can give me Purity Ring synth sounds?

Everyone needs a stompbox.
zhivago
Mods
Mods

Is there a pedal that can give me Purity Ring synth sounds?

Post by zhivago » Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:30 am

Hey guys,

I've just been listening to Purity Ring again after a long long time, and love the synth sounds they used...

I read that they used software synths on the record, but is there a pedal that will do the sound for example at 0.10?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xqw4wo8vdY8

The high-pitch-vibe-string-synth-Stranger-Things-sort-of-sound?

The 80s kid inside me needs to know :)
Resident Spartan.

Zork
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Is there a pedal that can give me Purity Ring synth sounds?

Post by Zork » Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:35 am

The Meris Enzo or the Pamda Audio Future Impact will both be able to get you there. The Future Impact has a great software editor with all the parameters of a proper synthesizer but is mainly monophonic. The Enzo does polyphonic tracking, has more tweakability with the physical knob layout but is a bit more complicated as far as I know.
These are the two pedals on the market that bother with true synthesis parameters. Most other contenders like the Boss SY-1 or so are very basic and aimed at guitarists who don't want to dive into actual synthesis.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:57 pm

Many thanks!

I will look into them...I saw the Enzo on YouTube yesterday and it sounded really cool! 8)
Resident Spartan.

Drill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Drill » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:24 am

I will chime in just to say that meris pedals are not for everyone (I have the Hedra, but I think the Enzo is a bit more complicated).
Given your pedal history I wouldn't say that you'd be the kind of guy that will like to dive into the manual and memorize the alt-controls, etc.
However, I wouldn't imagine you searching these kind of sounds, so I might be completely wrong...

Hope you don't take this wrong way!

In Meris defense, I have the Hedra. I love it. It sounds really good and it became more intuitive than I thought initially. But I had never spent so much time with a manual before :P (I'm also not a fan of trs in - 2 double mono outs thingy...).

Regarding the sound, I'm not sure I understood the exact sound you want. But if it is the one I think it is (high-pitch-ethereal-kinda-sample) I think I could recreate a pretty "convincible"/live sound with a pog 2 (+1 and +2 voice perhaps), delay and a lot of reverb.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:59 pm

Hehehe!!

I think you are right, no offence taken! :)

I've been researching the Enzo online, it definitely sounds like a complex pedal...the one thing that I found interesting is that some people online complain about volume level issues for certain settings...I did have a go at using the POG2 to make a similar high pitched synth sound and it gets close, especially if I throw in some Boss DC2 in the mix. 8)
Resident Spartan.

CorporateDisguise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by CorporateDisguise » Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:53 am

I’m not familiar with with purity ring, so I may be off base here, but have you checked out any of the EHX9 series?

Edit. Just watched the video you posted. Check out the Synth9. It has a string synth sound that might work.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:02 pm

CorporateDisguise wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:53 am
I’m not familiar with with purity ring, so I may be off base here, but have you checked out any of the EHX9 series?

Edit. Just watched the video you posted. Check out the Synth9. It has a string synth sound that might work.
Hey thanks! I've only played the Mel9...will have a look at the Synth9. :)
Resident Spartan.

ElephantDNA
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ElephantDNA » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:23 pm

zhivago wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:02 pm
CorporateDisguise wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:53 am

Hey thanks! I've only played the Mel9...will have a look at the Synth9. :)
Yeah I have the C9 it's pretty cool.