Is loud guitar-based music destined to be "throwback" music from here outwards?

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Is loud guitar-based music destined to be "throwback" music from here outwards?

Post by Larry Mal » Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:39 pm

smjenkins wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:30 pm
What's djent?
I think it's klezmer or maybe reggaeton.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

smjenkins
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Is loud guitar-based music destined to be "throwback" music from here outwards?

Post by smjenkins » Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:06 pm

Larry Mal wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:39 pm
smjenkins wrote:
What's djent?
Thanks Larry. :)

FWIW, my comment was inspired by what I consider to be the ultimate post on OSG: https://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/vi ... A#p1352334

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:18 am

smjenkins wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:06 pm
Larry Mal wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:39 pm
smjenkins wrote:
What's djent?
Thanks Larry. :)

FWIW, my comment was inspired by what I consider to be the ultimate post on OSG: https://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/vi ... A#p1352334
Oh god, that thread was crazy. It got pretty heated.
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:39 am

smjenkins wrote:
What's djent?
it's a meme that people treat like it's somewhere between a genre and a religion.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:56 am

s_mcsleazy wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:39 am
smjenkins wrote:
What's djent?
it's a meme that people treat like it's somewhere between a genre and a religion.
Yup. Also very corny music. Detuned guitars are cool, but metal genres always seem to come with a certain level of camp and edgyness, which ruins any good musical ideas. For me at least. I can't take any of the big metal acts seriously.
I never cared about personas in music, and the more an artist piles on a persona, the more corny it becomes.
I am ok with a certain level of theatrics and showmanship, but when it approaches cartoonish levels of identity like Marilyn Manson or Cannibal Corpse, I can't take it seriously at all.
GWAR are an exception. That shit is on purpose. That is ok with me. By all means, don't take yourself seriously.
The artists that take themselves seriously, whilst also being over the top and theatrical, is something I find corny.
I guess I prefer a modest approach. I don't care how heavy something is, I just want to hear the music without all the cool dude attitudes and edgy nonsense.
I dig a band like Opeth. They employ the imagery and brutal heaviness of metal, but they seem totally normal and chill as people.
You can listen to an interview and see that they are just artists that want to make music.
You never get that from Marilyn Manson. He is 100% serious in character all the time. He is a dated example, but I hope my point is clear.

I don't buy it. I acted and played music all my life, and we are real people, Marilyn. Real people.

If all those metal guys were chill and sincere like
Robert Smith, I would feel differently. He has a larger than life appearance and stage presence, but I have never seen him come across as arrogant or into his own persona too much. He just expressed himself without the extra baggage and seriousness.

budda12ax7
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by budda12ax7 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:40 am

Old smithy is larger than life...like XXXXL large. Please Bob....ditch the makeup and get a hair cut. Maybe stop eating fish and chips. I love the Cure, but he looks like my cat lady neighbor.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:11 pm

budda12ax7 wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:40 am
Old smithy is larger than life...like XXXXL large. Please Bob....ditch the makeup and get a hair cut. Maybe stop eating fish and chips. I love the Cure, but he looks like my cat lady neighbor.
Robert Smith is unfortunately a textbook example of how not to age gracefully. He's only 3 years older than someone like Rick Beato. Wild, right?
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

DeathJag
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DeathJag » Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:08 pm

When I caught a glimpse of him in 2012 I actually experienced a twinge of fear because he looked like such a horror show. But then he started singing and playing and there he was, with all the important parts functioning. I love that band so much. And they absolutely killed it for three hours.

Veitchy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Veitchy » Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:54 pm

Larry Mal wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:18 pm
That being said, some years ago he was giving an interview and he was lamenting how he never gets any kind of respect and the White Stripes do, and I was like, shit, dog... you really can't see it, can you?
And here's me thinking Joey B is more of a character performance than in-period Jack White ever was.
Larry Mal wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:13 pm
Maybe I'm just bitter though because my album "Chant Down Babylon Jah Ras Tafari" did so poorly for me.
OK that's fucking gold.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:17 pm

Veitchy wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:54 pm

And here's me thinking Joey B is more of a character performance than in-period Jack White ever was.

Well, I would say that no matter what one thinks of Jack White or the White Stripes, one would have to acknowledge that he was a very good writer of lyrics in that band.

Were Joe B writes hack bullshit about being poor, which he never was but he dimly knows that a lot of blues musicians used to be, Jack White wrote sharp fucking lyrics in my opinion.

I'm not a big White Stripes fan or anything, I had some albums, saw them a couple of times. But I'll tip my hat to the man's writing no problem.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

wooderson
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wooderson » Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:00 pm

BoringPostcards wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:44 pm
I wasn't really disagreeing with you, more just adding to it, and lamenting the state of popular hip hop right now.
A group like Tribe Called Quest would be seen as 'boring oldhead junk' to many of today's hip hop fans.
I mean... yeah. ATCQ peaked 30 years ago. A 29-year old rap fan wasn't born when "Bonita Applebum" released.

Rap, far more than rock, has been a living art form over the last several decades - new sounds and new styles coming out. A 29-year old 'rock fan' (such as people aren't heterogenous fans of all music these days) is probably more open to 30-year old music, because rock is largely built around nostalgia and has been for a long time - underground and above-the-ground.

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:21 pm

wooderson wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:00 pm
BoringPostcards wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:44 pm
I wasn't really disagreeing with you, more just adding to it, and lamenting the state of popular hip hop right now.
A group like Tribe Called Quest would be seen as 'boring oldhead junk' to many of today's hip hop fans.
I mean... yeah. ATCQ peaked 30 years ago. A 29-year old rap fan wasn't born when "Bonita Applebum" released.

Rap, far more than rock, has been a living art form over the last several decades - new sounds and new styles coming out. A 29-year old 'rock fan' (such as people aren't heterogenous fans of all music these days) is probably more open to 30-year old music, because rock is largely built around nostalgia and has been for a long time - underground and above-the-ground.
I think nostalgia is a factor in many forms of music, but I agree it is very prevalent in rock. Hip hop does morph quite a lot, but there is always an element of the past in there somewhere, be it a sample or a simple lyrical nod.
There is an expected level of respect to be given to past masters, and artists that go against that are often seen as controversial, such as machine gun kelly. The guy openly states his disdain for the past masters. He wants to be the only master. He is rather lackluster though.

I really don't buy that guitar is going to actually disappear. It's quite obvious from the huge amount of YouTube channels, all of which earn enough to pile up fancy gear and attend trade shows, that guitar isn't unpopular with the youth.
Bands like Polyphia are making waves with young kids. Also people like Yvette Young and other similar players are obviously not being ignored. The guitar styles here are not blues based or jazz based, instead they're coming from prog, math and acoustic tapstyle folk, and ending upbnot sounding like any of it.
Much of it is overcomplicated and cerebral, but the younger crowd eat it up.
Bass channels are pretty big too. Davie504? I don't watch any of this stuff, because I get annoyed with the juvenile meme culture, but these people have millions of viewers and drive ferraris around.
Bass is in a different boat though. The electric bass is everywhere and isn't always sufficiently replaced by synths. Bass killed the tuba, but it will take a lot to kill the bass.

Veitchy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Veitchy » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:01 am

BoringPostcards wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:21 pm
Bass is in a different boat though. The electric bass is everywhere and isn't always sufficiently replaced by synths. Bass killed the tuba, but it will take a lot to kill the bass.
I think I understand what you mean by this (electric bass was able to cover a lot of the bottom end as big bands evolved into smaller combos?) but could you please expand on this?

If nothing else "Bass killed the tuba" would make a great sticker...

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:22 am

Veitchy wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:01 am
BoringPostcards wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:21 pm
I think I understand what you mean by this (electric bass was able to cover a lot of the bottom end as big bands evolved into smaller combos?) but could you please expand on this?

If nothing else "Bass killed the tuba" would make a great sticker...
Tuba was a very common bass instrument for centuries, but the electrification of the bass guitar slowly removed it from almost every genre that employed it. You can still hear it used for basslines in Klezmer, German traditional music and Balkan folk, but it has been replaced nearly everywhere else.
Before amplication of basses, the tuba was your best bet to keep up with the volume of an orchestra or big band.

mcbrandt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mcbrandt » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:17 am

I wonder if all the emo-inspired younger guitar virtuosos will actually excite kids to play guitar though? That stuff is so out of the sphere of a beginner. It seems like 'indie' music as a whole swung back to highly skilled players and songwriters, and it'll probably create a backlash to simple songs. Sometimes I watch the Yvette Young clips, but I can't say it ever inspires me to play, and I don't think I can listen to one of Covet's songs all the way through because it doesn't even really sound musical to my ears. I attributed it to being old and not of that generation.