Hendrix Live Maui....just because.

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
budda12ax7
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Hendrix Live Maui....just because.

Post by budda12ax7 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:58 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFfnlYbFEiE

yes...great live stuff. Ya got to love the wasted hippies dancing....seems like fun.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Hendrix Live Maui....just because.

Post by Larry Mal » Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:08 pm

They sure were concerned about wind in the microphones, weren't they?
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:24 pm

budda12ax7 wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:58 pm

yes...great live stuff. Ya got to love the wasted hippies dancing....seems like fun.
The comment section has some comedy gold in it, as usual.
Lots of dudes calling him a sloppy player, who "wasn't really that good", due to how wild his solo was.
Really, guys? I am not a Hendrix worshipper or anything, but GTFO. Did they think he wanted to carbon copy his album solos? Hardly anyone likes doing that.
So what, if he slips up here and there during improvisation, that's the whole point of jamming it out, no?
I would rather see him and his band go buckwild live, than to sound like the record. Imagine if you had the chance to see one of these early trailblazers, and you came home thinking they were trash musicians. Seriously? Unlikely.

Some of the best shows, I have seen, were when the band improvised and jammed out, rather than just playing a list of hits. The Tragically Hip live shows were always amazing for that reason. You might even end up experiencing the birth of a future song in the jams they went into.
Totally different music, but the point remains.

Thanks for posting. I don't like much blues rock, but I always appreciate live Hendrix. He was just so interesting. It is sad how copied he is, because it makes some of his unique stylings seem like cheap novelty nowadays.
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:43 pm

Good quality of film.

Small crowd tho'

blacktiger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by blacktiger » Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:40 am

Larry Mal wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:08 pm
They sure were concerned about wind in the microphones, weren't they?

Yup, with good reason. Apparently, there were 40 mph winds, and this was being filmed as part of a (ridiculous) movie. Sound was definitely a problem. Mitch actually had to re-record his drum parts to make the film/recording at all usable. For the recent official release, they had to do some more clean up to improve the vocal levels. The wind was a bitch, for sure.
Thread killer

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:44 am

Crazy... I guess that also explains the small crowd, since maybe it wasn't a real concert but a simulated one.

But when I saw Jimi step up to that big ass sock on there and try and sing into it I was cracking up.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

blacktiger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by blacktiger » Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:47 am

BoringPostcards wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:24 pm
budda12ax7 wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:58 pm

The comment section has some comedy gold in it, as usual.
Lots of dudes calling him a sloppy player, who "wasn't really that good", due to how wild his solo was.
Really, guys? I am not a Hendrix worshipper or anything, but GTFO. Did they think he wanted to carbon copy his album solos? Hardly anyone likes doing that.
So what, if he slips up here and there during improvisation, that's the whole point of jamming it out, no?
I would rather see him and his band go buckwild live, than to sound like the record. Imagine if you had the chance to see one of these early trailblazers, and you came home thinking they were trash musicians. Seriously? Unlikely.
These people are idiots with no sense of history, even if Hendrix is not your bag, he should be acknowledged for changing the face of rock guitar forever. Pretty much all the rock musicians from that era will acknowledge that, even (especially?) his “competition” among guitar hot shots.

I would personally rather hear a “bad” Hendrix show than a good one from 99% of other guitarists (and 100% of wangy technique-focused shredder types).
Thread killer

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:01 am

Yeah, I'm not a big Hendrix fan, I don't dislike him or anything just never really connected a whole lot with it.

But to call the guy sloppy is ridiculous, since his whole thing was improvisation to a degree. People that don't play guitar often still think that they know about guitar when they don't. It's so ubiquitous that everyone thinks they're an expert.

Regardless, it's well known that Hendrix was looking for a new direction at that point, and frankly that's what I saw when he was playing that song, a man that had played it more times than he wanted to at that point. I guess I could be wrong, but it seemed like the joy had gone out of it to some degree at that point.

dc
Expat
Expat

Post by dc » Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:58 am

blacktiger wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:47 am
These people are idiots with no sense of history,
this. people can talk all the shit they want, but i doubt anyone can point to a concert video from 2020 (or 2019 if you like) that people will still be talking about in 2070 :whistle:
in the coldest night / huddled 'round the dying embers

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:21 am

If you want to see a real end of the road performance, check out a drunk and tired Jim Morrison limping his way through a song he clearly was well past wanting to sing here.

It's funny when I watch these guys, knowing what I know about them, it seems clear to me that they were completely burned out. Traveling like they did as part of tours really isn't easy, add in the drugs and the legal problems and shit and it's clear that these guys were really in need of some kind of intervention.

Maybe it's because I'm an old man now, but shit, when I look at Jimi and Jim in these videos I don't see great musicians or legends or anything, I see young men that were soon to be dead because they didn't know how to step back from a success that was killing them.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:28 am

Not to bring the party down or anything.

blacktiger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by blacktiger » Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:40 pm

Larry Mal wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:44 am
Crazy... I guess that also explains the small crowd, since maybe it wasn't a real concert but a simulated one.

But when I saw Jimi step up to that big ass sock on there and try and sing into it I was cracking up.
Hendrix’s manager and Warner Brothers were bankrolling the movie, and when they saw that it was a bunch of hippie mysticism with no script or real plot, they figured that a Hendrix performance was the only thing that could possibly save it. There was no advertising. There were one or two guys who went to the hip spots in Maui and rounded people up on the morning of the show. Apparently, even if you drove as far as you could, there were still a couple of miles to hike before you got to the spot, which was on the side of a volcano. People were asked to sit according to their astrological sign. It definitely wasn’t a normal concert in any way.
Thread killer

budda12ax7
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by budda12ax7 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:28 am

The entire concert has been released in various forms, but I like this show because Hendrix always pushed the boundaries of his playing all the time...Billy is a beast of bass player. Hendrix plays very aggressively and goes for it.....it’s chaos but amazing all at the same time.

FrankRay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by FrankRay » Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:39 am

Larry Mal wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:21 am
If you want to see a real end of the road performance, check out a drunk and tired Jim Morrison limping his way through a song he clearly was well past wanting to sing here.
That's funny, they sound great to me. I love the way they're just four guys playing together, tight, no stage show, no grandstanding.... quite awesome. I guess it's just a marmite thing.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:41 am

Yeah, I don’t know how you can play electric guitar and not appreciate Jimi Hendrix on some level. He had such a fluid style and seemed to just be able to play whatever was in his head. He really let it all hang out live, but was always listening to the rest of the band.

I know he had his issues with the Experience, but I generally like the stuff from that era better for the songwriting.

I was amused by the smoking guy making a half assed attempt at keeping the stacks from blowing over.