Squier CV jaguar - Mastery

For help with setups and other technical issues.
MigJim
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Squier CV jaguar - Mastery

Post by MigJim » Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:42 pm

Hi guys

I'm pondering changing out the bridge on my CV Jag to a mastery, but for the life of me I can't work out whether it'll drop straight in, or whether I'll need the specific mastery thimbles. And if I need the thimbles, will these near enough drop in, or will I need to enlarge the thimbles holes in the body?

Cheers

Meriphew
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Squier CV jaguar - Mastery

Post by Meriphew » Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:14 am

Shoot an email off to Mastery with info on your guitar. They have different thimbles for different models.

jgpouton
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by jgpouton » Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:07 am

OP you will need to enlarge the holes because Mastery thimbles are too large.

I did what you plan and I'm disappointed by the M bridge.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:54 pm

I don't personally "get" putting Mastery stuff on a Squier.

Mastery is at the far end of the cost/benefit spectrum where a whole lot of extra cost gets you marginal benefit. Squier is at the opposite end where minimal cost got you lots of benefits. Spending Squier money on 99% of the guitar and Mastery money on a bridge is not the way to get the most guitar for your money IMO.

I felt weird paying Mastery money for a bridge to put on my most expensive offset, and I've now sold every Mastery product I ever owned (which was four bridges and two vibratos). I can't imagine having spent that kind of upgrade money on a Squier.

They're nice, but I'm just happier with Staytrem and Fender's higher end stuff like the AVRI vibrato and AmPro/Marr bridges. If I want the benefits and drawbacks of a fixed bridge guitar I have many available options and I don't need to pigeonhole a vintage style JM or Jag into being that guitar.

I had two Mastery bridges that, after all the expense and hassle, would sometimes just randomly vibrate and make weird noises that would stop when you push them down into their thimbles like you were palm muting. I had shims and great setups on those guitars that worked with vintage style bridges, so if a Mastery is gonna be more temperamental to set up than a vintage JM bridge, I frankly don't want the hassle and expense.

The vibratos are really nice but I like to change tunings and the lack of a lock button became an issue. They also only match visually with their own bridges IMO and once I decided I didn't like the bridges, it didn't make sense to use the vibratos either.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:38 pm

Before pondering installation, it often helps to analyse the reasons for switching to the Mastery, and the setup implications. If you just prefer the Mastery aesthetics and don't mind any fitting issues, go for it (although as mbene085 points out, it's a slightly unusual cost 'equation'). But if you have problems with your setup with the CV's 9.5" radius Mustang-style bridge, they should be fixable. And switching to a fixed bridge like the Mastery - where strings must slide over the saddles with trem use (unlike the rocking bridge) - then requires a somewhat opposite set of set up considerations ... tending towards lower individual-string downforce (less string break angle/shim, maybe lower string gauge/tension).
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

MigJim
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MigJim » Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:04 am

Thanks for all the reply guys, some really thoughtful replies, and is definitely something to ponder on.

mbene085, I agree with you saying it's weird to put something so expensive on a squier, I think I'm just curious to try it to be honest because it's the only bridge solution I've not tried. Timtam, there's actually nothing wrong with the setup of my squier now, again it's just curiosity to try a fixed bridge! Weird I know, considering I love it as it is with the stock bridge.

I'll let you know what I decide.

jgpouton, what exactly made you disappointed in the mastery?

Thanks

Mike

algeriet
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by algeriet » Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:14 am

mbene085 wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:54 pm
I don't personally "get" putting Mastery stuff on a Squier.

Mastery is at the far end of the cost/benefit spectrum where a whole lot of extra cost gets you marginal benefit. Squier is at the opposite end where minimal cost got you lots of benefits. Spending Squier money on 99% of the guitar and Mastery money on a bridge is not the way to get the most guitar for your money IMO.
Hard agree!
mbene085 wrote:

would sometimes just randomly vibrate and make weird noises
On my Deep Seat Jazzmaster I went from flatwounds to rounds on a Mastery Bridge/Descendant vibrato setup and suddenly that thing would create all these ghost harmonics whenever I'd play. It got very annoying. Had to make a full on setup to get it right. Changed from same size gauge so was very surprised. Finally replaced the vibrato with a matching Mastery one (Descendants going on another guitar).
mbene085 wrote:
lack of a lock button became an issue.
Imho the best part about Descendant/Mastery vibratos are the missing lock buttons. 😎

To OP: Unless you're in the UK Staytrem will be difficult to get ahold of. They also offer a fixed bridge version.
You can either go for the Johnny Marr bridge that resembles the Staytrem or keep an eye out on Descendant's Instagram page as Chris Swope is about to release a new bridge very soon.

Mojo pickups UK is also working on a bridge.

Either way right now Staytrem and/or the Marr bridge are the most bang for the buck options what I know.

jgpouton
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by jgpouton » Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:30 am

The Mastery bridge disappointed me because tuning stability with vibrato use is not better, intonating the guitar is not easier, and vibrations and noises are still there.

MigJim
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MigJim » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:52 am

Thanks for all the advice and opinions guys.

I ended up taking a punt and ordering the Mastery with the extra thimbles (in the hope that they would just slot in without any routing). Unfortunately that wasn't the case, the holes would have to be enlarged. I may do this at some point in the future, but for now I just decided to wrap a couple of layers of tape round the bridge posts and use the Squier thimbles......sheer laziness but worked a treat and makes an incredibly snug fit without any buzzing.

Wow, what a difference it makes! I'm 50-50 as to whether its a change I like or I don't. It feels SOLID, which is great for some things, but then it also takes away the slightly 'unpredictable' nature of the floating bridge, and the slight shimmer which comes with it.

The good thing is I've noticed absolutely no difference in tuning stability, even with fairly heavy tremolo use.

In terms of sound, I think it's actually decreased the treblyness slightly, I can now happily run with the tone knob on full without it being piercing. This was a bit of a surprise, because I presumed that the treble response would INCREASE with the Mastery bridge.

I think my conclusion is, if someone doesn't like the feel of a jag or JM, the mastery could be just the ticket, but if offsets are already something you like, I think the mastery takes away a bit of its personality. It's an absolutely fantastic piece of engineering though, I can't fault the quality or design of it. I just sat and stared at it for the first half an hour of owning it!

I'm definitely gonna leave it on for a while and get used to it, and maybe change back to the original bridge during the next string change just to compare.

JMNewb
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by JMNewb » Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:17 am

I know I'm way behind the curve in this one, but wanted to answer the OP original question. The inner diameter of the stock thimbles is the same as the Mastery thimbles. So, at least for me, the Mastery bridge was a drop in replacement for me Squier CV 60's.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:39 am

I've had Mastery bridges on about 6 guitars. I never once had a single issue with mine. No rattles, no issues intonating. I gradually moved over to Staytrem based on the fact they are a little comfier underhand than the Mastery and look more vintage correct. The fact they are half the price was a bonus, but not any justification for my shift.

I still have one and its on my weird Firebird Mustang that has a strange vibrato setup and the need for deep saddles meant the Mastery was the best for it. I still have one of the Vibratos on my Jazzmaster purely because I havent bothered taking it off yet.

I. personally, wouldn't bother spending that sort of money on a Squier - truth be told a half-decent Mustang bridge is totally fine for most setups and is what we all used before Mastery became a thing a decade or so ago.
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?