The Beatles : Get Back - a film by the great Peter Jackson...

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
adamrobertt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: The Beatles : Get Back - a film by the great Peter Jackson...

Post by adamrobertt » Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:17 pm

s_mcsleazy wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:43 pm
adamrobertt wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:48 am
s_mcsleazy wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:12 am
oh great. another beatles movie/book/documentary/think piece/article/youtube video (strike off where necessary) because we didn't have enough of those already.

so over the years, i've realized i'm not the target audience for the beatles music, yet i know a lot about them simply because there's so much media out there about them where people are like "watch this, it will change your mind" or "read this book, it will change your mind" when it hasn't. i'd imagine for someone more into the beatles, the idea of a peter jackson directed movie with lost footage is like a wet dream but i feel like even 50+ years later, we don't need any more beatles worship. hell, i got more enjoyment from that trailer looking at all the SF fenders in the background than anything beatles related.

the sad part is i dont even hate the beatles from a musical POV, their music just does nothing for me. i just feel everything that could be said about the band has been said 1000 times. even the negative criticism. hell, i even realize my thoughts that there's nothing else to really say about the beatles is probably not new. i just find it weird that there's still so much time/energy/money poured into people remembering the beatles. but i guess it must still make money. so why not?
There's always someone who has to remind everyone that they're too cool for the Beatles in every Beatles conversation. Millions of people still love them, and there's a reason why. If you don't get it that's fine, but you really don't have to chime in every time. It doesn't really add much to the conversation.
honestly, i dont think i'm too cool for the beatles. my honest opinion on the beatles music is "nothing special. some ok songs" but the beatles are more a culture than a band at this point. plus because they're often considered to be such a big part of music history, having an opinion on them often is something you have to have. hell, i've been prompted by complete strangers about the beatles...... quite a few times. one time was literally when i was at the urinals and a middle aged man next to me asked "do you like the beatles?"

i'll admit, my initial response might have seemed snide and out of place which was not my intent. honestly, i think the major impact of the beatles is really less with their music and more down to the culture and technology. so i shall say something positive about the beatles so people know i do understand them on A level.

the culture side is really down to them weaponizing the whole "fan culture" as effectively as they did. it's obviously something many people still care about if we're still talking about them 50 years after they release their last album. i think they did a good job of pivoting towards that. they started out as teen heart throbs then convinced many of those fans to get into more experimental music. that's a good thing. i also think for better or worse, they were a big inspiration on boy bands and what we now call "stan culture" am i saying the beatles are the 60's version of k-pop and boomers are just beatles stans? kinda. but just like those k-pop stans, they know who their audience is and no doubt this documentary will be very important to them.

the technological side more comes from what they did for the art of recording but also how they used TV and radio to push themselves into the public light. what history teaches us is if you can push the boundaries just enough so you dont scare people off and use the mediums of the time, you can usually have a lasting impact. just look at how bands used MTV in the 80's or even today how artists are using tiktok.

plus hey. this is a definite money maker for jackson and if it means i can finally get a peter jackson directed lovecraft movie, i'll support it.
I mean, I'm a Beatles fan, and not just because of their cultural impact, but because of their music. They're one of my biggest musical influences, kind of by far, and Paul especially is a gigantic impact on my sense of melody and my bass playing too.

Edit: My point being that many of their fans (if not most imo) ARE into them because of their music. The cultural stuff is real, but its more of a side effect. The Beatles were a normal band and they were excellent musicians and songwriters. The cultural phenomenon that coincided with their rise wasn't their intention, it was just a culmination of a lot of different factors coming together. Boy bands with no substance copied them ad-nauseum, but that is not what they themselves were.

Singlebladepickup
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Singlebladepickup » Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:24 pm

I don't like most of what they put out and can't listen to any of their albums all the way through, but I'm still impressed that they could put out maybe 20 songs I still enjoy in less than 10 years. Plus, there could probably be a threads worth of decent beatles covers out there in every imaginable style.

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:29 pm

Paul's basslines on some songs are proto-Novoselic style.
He totally used Paul's approach on songs like On a Plain and others.
I didn't realize it until I heard the isolated Glass Onion tracks.
I think an education in music theory is key to appreciating the Beatles and George Martin.
They were not just a boy band that experimented.
They did unprecedented things on many levels, speaking in purely musical terms.
They were to rock and roll what NIN, Tool, Death and Skinny Puppy were to metal genres.
Took things places they never were and everyone followed.
Only crusty old Jazz players are salty at the Beatles. That and people who play instruments, but really aren't a musician in their hearts.
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:14 am

BoringPostcards wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:29 pm
Only crusty old Jazz players are salty at the Beatles. That and people who play instruments, but really aren't a musician in their hearts.
I think it's a mandatory requirement if you're a "punk" too, whatever that means nowadays.
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:22 am

PorkyPrimeCut wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:14 am
BoringPostcards wrote:
I think it's a mandatory requirement if you're a "punk" too, whatever that means nowadays.
Covered under instrument players. Lol
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

sookwinder
Mods
Mods

Post by sookwinder » Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:40 am

I have had all of the entire films audio footage (in perfect quality) for 25+ years (bootleg CDs) and it always was strange when I would hear / read people say that the GET BACK SESSIONS were down and un productive. If you listen to the audio they had a great time. Yeah there are the afternoons when George left because macca was being a controlling arsehole, but there were also joyous sessions... too many to name... but one is when Billy Preston joined them.

I suspect this perception of the entire month of recording being the low point is because (1) Lennon would say shit like that and (2) the original cut of the LET IT BE movie was crap pure crap. During George's guitar solo on ONE AFTER 909 from the roof, the film suddenly cuts to some of geezer on the street and you see nothing of George. What was the director thinking?

So given the fact that they have transferred everything to digital and can see what gems really are there I also cannot wait to see it.
relaxing alternative to doing actual work ...

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:22 am

PorkyPrimeCut wrote:
BoringPostcards wrote:
Wow you two, elitist much? It's also possible to just not be a fan, but don't let that stop you making arrogant generalisations about your fellow forum members.

Signed,
A 'non musician' (in spite of many years of music theory and practice starting when I was about 6 years old) according to you guys.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:49 am

andy_tchp wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:22 am
PorkyPrimeCut wrote:
BoringPostcards wrote:
Wow you two, elitist much? It's also possible to just not be a fan, but don't let that stop you making arrogant generalisations about your fellow forum members.

Signed,
A 'non musician' (in spite of many years of music theory and practice starting when I was about 6 years old) according to you guys.
;D Oh boy! I was kinda joking.

As someone else said, there's always the usual suspects when the Beatles get mentioned (me included). The "punk" thing is actually pretty accurate in my personal experience. I've lost count of the amount of times I'd get into conversations with "punks" back in my early clubbing days. We'd talk music & everything would be going fine - grunge, garage, hardcore, psych - all good. But then The Beatles would get mentioned & there was almost always the same reaction. "I fuckin' hate The Beatles". Kinda funny.
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

FrankRay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by FrankRay » Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:23 am

Having listened to the Beatles a lot, it strikes me that they did something no one else has really done, and that’s try out pretty much every style possible. You want baroque chamber pop? Yesterday. Or proto metal? Helmet Skelter. Avant garde? Take Revolution 9? Children’s singalong? How about When I’m 64.
This means that don’t really stand for anything the way the stones stooges or sex pistols stand for something. It also means that the albums all have tracks I can’t stand next to tracks I love. Can’t stand Piggies. Love Cry Nany Cry. Hate your Mother Should Know, love I Am The Walrus.

I mean I don’t think there’s a single stones track I dislike until Black and Blue, maybe. But the Beatles covered so cub ground as to seem dilettantes in some ways. And I’d be very happy to never hear Maxwells Silver Hamer again.

Can’t knock Tomorrow Never Knows though. They’ll always have that

FrankRay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by FrankRay » Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:25 am

Cry Baby Cry. Apologies for typos. It’s cold and I’m on lunch in a square in limehouse.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:20 am

FrankRay wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:23 am
...the albums all have tracks I can’t stand next to tracks I love...
I totally relate to this!

mediocreplayer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mediocreplayer » Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:30 am

FrankRay wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:23 am
Having listened to the Beatles a lot, it strikes me that they did something no one else has really done, and that’s try out pretty much every style possible. You want baroque chamber pop? Yesterday. Or proto metal? Helmet Skelter. Avant garde? Take Revolution 9? Children’s singalong? How about When I’m 64.
This means that don’t really stand for anything the way the stones stooges or sex pistols stand for something. It also means that the albums all have tracks I can’t stand next to tracks I love. Can’t stand Piggies. Love Cry Nany Cry. Hate your Mother Should Know, love I Am The Walrus.
I never understood the "not stand for anything" reasoning. Not specifically about The Beatles but in general. Like, I enjoy listening to different kinds of music, so if I make music, why do I always have to make it in one particular style?

I remember watching George Martin say that he was initially resistant to Yesterday because it's "not really a Beatles song." This sounds crazy to me. My favorite Beatles album is The White Album just because of how all-over the place it is, and Cry Baby Cry is a great song!

As for some of the posts earlier, I agree that "I don't like The Beatles" is usually a simple way to signal coolness. Yes, it is legit to not like The Beatles or any music for that matter, but it's always an easy way for a Lou Reed or a Michael Stipe or whomever to release some insecurity by describing them as garbage or elevator music.
Last edited by mediocreplayer on Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:03 am

I mean, the Beatles kicked off the idea that rock and roll could be all the things that we take for granted today. The Stones, The Who, Pink Floyd, I could go on and on, they all traveled ground that the Beatles broke first. After the Beatles spread their wings, literally everything else that came next was a reaction to it.

Punks were talking about taking rock and roll back to what it was without all the excess, which is a fine concept I guess, still a reaction against the "excesses" that the Beatles had introduced in the first place.

Rock and roll is basically divided into pre and post Beatles to me, anyway.

Personally I think the Beatles have a lot of great songs.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:17 am

andy_tchp wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:22 am

Signed,
I hope you will recover from this slight, and get back, get back to where you once belonged.

In the future, I hope that all generalizations made about people get way more specific and less arrogant. :freako:

I personally feel like anybody, anywhere can dislike a band, movie, book, poem, or whatever else for any goddamn reason they want no matter how arbitrary. Maybe I will agree; maybe I won't. My eyes start to glaze over whenever I hear people talk about why they like or dislike most things unless I feel the same way, so I know people feel the same way when I start going on about my personal journey on my tastes.

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:04 pm

Jaguar018 wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:17 am
I personally feel like anybody, anywhere can dislike a band, movie, book, poem, or whatever else for any goddamn reason they want no matter how arbitrary. Maybe I will agree; maybe I won't. My eyes start to glaze over whenever I hear people talk about why they like or dislike most things unless I feel the same way, so I know people feel the same way when I start going on about my personal journey on my tastes.
I feel much the same way. But I would never suggest someone wasn't 'really a musician' or imply they lacked musical education over those differences in tastes.

Oh and in your rush to snark you missed the irony in BoringPostcards's's's remark about stereotypical 'crusty old Jazz players' while exhibiting the exact same attitudes as said crusty old Jazz guys in the same post :'( :fro:
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.