The Beatles : Get Back - a film by the great Peter Jackson...

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
Futuron
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: The Beatles : Get Back - a film by the great Peter Jackson...

Post by Futuron » Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:47 am

I think that "being salty about The Beatles" and not really enjoying their music are 2 very different things

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:23 am

Futuron wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:47 am
I think that "being salty about The Beatles" and not really enjoying their music are 2 very different things
I figured the not liking them on taste is a given. We don't all like the same things.
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:29 am

sookwinder wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:40 am
I have had all of the entire films audio footage (in perfect quality) for 25+ years (bootleg CDs) and it always was strange when I would hear / read people say that the GET BACK SESSIONS were down and un productive. If you listen to the audio they had a great time. Yeah there are the afternoons when George left because macca was being a controlling arsehole, but there were also joyous sessions... too many to name... but one is when Billy Preston joined them.

I suspect this perception of the entire month of recording being the low point is because (1) Lennon would say shit like that and (2) the original cut of the LET IT BE movie was crap pure crap. During George's guitar solo on ONE AFTER 909 from the roof, the film suddenly cuts to some of geezer on the street and you see nothing of George. What was the director thinking?

So given the fact that they have transferred everything to digital and can see what gems really are there I also cannot wait to see it.
George was the only member, whose inner soul matched the music. RIP Ringo is harmless. John n Macca seem a bit sleazy. I know that is blasphemy to some.
Anyhow, Revolver is my fave record. Blue Jay Way is my fave all time next to Glass onion.

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:30 am

BoringPostcards wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:23 am
Futuron wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:47 am
I figured the not liking them on taste is a given. We don't all like the same things. I meant the ppl saying they couldn't play or read n write sheet music.

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:40 am

I think The Beatles were a fine band, and I guess I'll watch the new film at the first opportunity.

I think Frank Ray's point about them not standing for anything misses the point that the demise of the music hall was a recent phenomena when they were growing up, rather than the ancient history it seems to later generations. The TV shows that killed it off leaned heavily on the kind of variety shows music halls offered right through to the 1970s, so old-style songs were still the lingua franca in their time - witness Ray Davies's mid-60s output, and even, dare I say, some of The Stones' less bluesy numbers. I hate some of McCartney's "granny music" as much as the next guy, but I can forgive it as very much of its time, while hitting the skip button.

mediocreplayer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mediocreplayer » Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:18 am

UlricvonCatalyst wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:40 am
I think The Beatles were a fine band, and I guess I'll watch the new film at the first opportunity.

I think Frank Ray's point about them not standing for anything misses the point that the demise of the music hall was a recent phenomena when they were growing up, rather than the ancient history it seems to later generations. The TV shows that killed it off leaned heavily on the kind of variety shows music halls offered right through to the 1970s, so old-style songs were still the lingua franca in their time - witness Ray Davies's mid-60s output, and even, dare I say, some of The Stones' less bluesy numbers. I hate some of McCartney's "granny music" as much as the next guy, but I can forgive it as very much of its time, while hitting the skip button.
Very interesting perspective! I always wondered why he wrote these songs (Maxwell/Rocky Raccoon/Teddy Boy/Desmond and Molly/ etc.) and this anthropological/technological explanation makes sense. These songs maybe grating in isolation (though not to me, I like all of them) but I feel that having them next to other songs where someone is screaming "In the morning wanna die, in the evening wanna die" provides a perfect balance.

SAVEStheDAY
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SAVEStheDAY » Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:08 pm

I saw Peter Jackson's They Shall Not Grow Old and was blown away by what he did to restore WWI era footage. I don't really know or care that much about the Beatles, but I've been in a band, and been in the studio, and that alone makes me very interested in this doc. I loved seeing them laughing and goofing around with each other in the preview. It took me back to hanging out with my former bandmates. The fidelity is amazing and seeing that gear in crystal clear HD is appealing too.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:53 pm

SAVEStheDAY wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:08 pm
I saw Peter Jackson's They Shall Not Grow Old and was blown away by what he did to restore WWI era footage. I don't really know or care that much about the Beatles, but I've been in a band, and been in the studio, and that alone makes me very interested in this doc. I loved seeing them laughing and goofing around with each other in the preview. It took me back to hanging out with my former bandmates. The fidelity is amazing and seeing that gear in crystal clear HD is appealing too.
Yeah. Just on face value the gear will be fantastic to spot, George's rosewood Tele, for instance.
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

Singlebladepickup
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Singlebladepickup » Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:17 pm

mediocreplayer wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:18 am
UlricvonCatalyst wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:40 am
Very interesting perspective! I always wondered why he wrote these songs (Maxwell/Rocky Raccoon/Teddy Boy/Desmond and Molly/ etc.) and this anthropological/technological explanation makes sense. These songs maybe grating in isolation (though not to me, I like all of them) but I feel that having them next to other songs where someone is screaming "In the morning wanna die, in the evening wanna die" provides a perfect balance.
Let's not forget "Honey Pie". That's some granny rock there.

sookwinder
Mods
Mods

Post by sookwinder » Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:20 am

I wouldn't describe HONEY PIE as Granny Rock. That is just Macca harking back to his childhood and the vaudeville acts that would be on the radio. The thing is about Beatle albums … they really are albums and should be listened to as a complete piece of music, rather that grabbing a track from here or there. There is an ebb and flow with the music. It certainly isn't ACDC with every track being effectively the same style.
Some like the change of styles within an album, some prefer every some to be from the same cookie cutter.

Yeah WHEN I'M 64 is Granny Rock and I know I will be flamed but SHE'S LEAVING HOME is pure Granny rock and if you ever run out of sugar at home, just play that song and stick you cup of coffee next to the speaker and it'll fill up very quickly.

The weird thing about MAXWELL'S SILVER HAMMER which I loved as a kid but hate now... is that his initial premise for a song was about a psychotic murderer that went from town to town … which is a great premise …. just look at what the Stones did with MIDNIGHT RAMBLER …. but it ended up as a kiddies tune with psychotic lyrics.
relaxing alternative to doing actual work ...

Scout
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Scout » Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:35 am

I never heard the term granny rock, but it applies to McCartney’s influences for sure.
You can go back and pick out the chord changes that are lifted from the ‘30s and ‘40s
and be pretty certain McCartney wrote that music. No surprise there, that’s what he heard
growing up and it stuck with him.

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:42 am

"Granny music" (or "songs", or "tunes", but definitely not "rock") was a term used by Lennon when he was at his most scathing towards his old pal's old-time numbers, typically self-absolving his own excursions into that oeuvre, such as Good Night, and probably several others.

sookwinder
Mods
Mods

Post by sookwinder » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:15 pm

One of Lennon's comments that has blown me away since I first heard it 40 odd years ago was in relation to the track IT'S ONLY LOVE from the second side of the HELP! album. I adore this track... when I first heard it I could not understand how Lennon could know exactly how I was feeling (I was a love sick 13 year old).

But Lennon in his latter years derided the track saying it was throw away and that he could write those sort of songs every day of the week. WTF?
I wish I could have written that one alone.

Lennon liked to put down his past catalogue/achievements.

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:54 pm

sookwinder wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:15 pm
One of Lennon's comments that has blown me away since I first heard it 40 odd years ago was in relation to the track IT'S ONLY LOVE from the second side of the HELP! album. I adore this track... when I first heard it I could not understand how Lennon could know exactly how I was feeling (I was a love sick 13 year old).

But Lennon in his latter years derided the track saying it was throw away and that he could write those sort of songs every day of the week. WTF?
I wish I could have written that one alone.

Lennon liked to put down his past catalogue/achievements.
I love that song too - first one I learned with an augmented chord, which is just one aspect of its sophistication. Another is the somewhat trixie strumming pattern. Such a strong chorus too.

Presumably Lennon was dismissing the lyric, which is a bit moon'n'June, but very much of its time.

sookwinder
Mods
Mods

Post by sookwinder » Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:00 am

but that moon'n june lyric is how a 13 year old or someone to new to romance feels. What a song!