A big question: How do you store your guitars?

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
Jan Deal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

A big question: How do you store your guitars?

Post by Jan Deal » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:19 am

Between myself and my wife, we have something like 15 guitars and basses at home, I appreciate this is quite a lot of instruments but I feel you folks may have similar amounts. How are you guys storing them? At the moment, we have numerous in gigs bags, 6 at home in a multi guitar stand and then a few stragglers left free in our music room. The gig bag solution isn't great, as they're bulky and it also hides the guitars away. I was considering wall hangers, as they'd be out of the way and somewhat decorative...

is it possible that there are just too many guitars?
Seas, Starry : Fuzz / Pop / Noises

"Gorgeous, soaring waves of guitars which feedback and squall deliriously with fluid and organic rhythms”

www.seasstarry.bandcamp.com

Jazzmastervsjaguar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: A big question: How do you store your guitars?

Post by Jazzmastervsjaguar » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:40 am

No such thing as too many guitars!

I bought a piece of wood from home depot stained it and mounted it to the wall using lag bolts making sure I hit studs. If you are not sure you are going to hit a stud use toggle bolts. I lived in an old house before moving that had plaster and lathe walls and couldn't use lag bolts but the toggle bolts did the trick. I then bought 8 angled string swing hangers and mounted those to the board. I am a big dude 220 lbs and could do pull ups on the board so no worries of it falling down with the weight of the guitars. I only had to use 8 bolts for the entire set up.

I think this is the best solution it keeps the guitars safe but accessible and I just put my amps under the hanging guitars and that freed up space from the floor with floor racks. Plus when you see your guitars it makes you want to play them more (at least for me).

MrFingers
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrFingers » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:57 am

If you've got the depth available, angled wall-hangers are the way to go.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:22 am

Yes, I am wondering if I have too many guitars. I have four guitars under my kid's beds.

I have four guitars under my own bed. I have a little office/studio and it's pretty filled with guitars, and I have a bunch of storage in the basement and there's a bunch of guitars down there.

I'm having trouble physically accessing them, and I know that this means they'll just sit in the case. If that keeps happening, I might move some on.

Turns out there is a limit!
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:44 pm

I only have 8, and 2 of those are the long scale, 4 string variety.

I keep one out as a couch guitar and one out in my little project studio space and the rest are all stored in hard shell cases in a closet. The 2 unused cases go under my bed.

I don’t have room (or fingers) for more and part of me thinks it would be better if I had 4 guitars and 1 bass, but I can’t decide which ones to part with. The other part thinks I should have a Bass VI and at least 2 more guitars and a Moog of some sort. I just don’t have anywhere to keep them.

sookwinder
Mods
Mods

Post by sookwinder » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:25 pm

relaxing alternative to doing actual work ...

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:27 pm

I only keep 1-2 out on a stand at a time, and the rest are in their cases. I just don't like dealing with things like dust from everything hanging out on a wall. They're also less affected by rapid changes in humidity when they're in cases, like if a humidifier runs dry

Most of mine live in one of these in a mixture of hardshell cases and gig bags:

(not my photo)
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

O Drones
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by O Drones » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:46 pm

Jazzmaster on a stand in the living room and a Mustang under the bed in the Jazzmaster case. Any more than two guitars and I start having some sort of panic :D My abilities barely merit one.
The Cherry Wave

MattK
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MattK » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:53 pm

sook that's, ah, that's quite a few you got there

I'm in love with the Epi acoustic with the giant pickguard, what's that one?

sookwinder
Mods
Mods

Post by sookwinder » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:44 pm

Is it a Frontier .
Some have the large guard, some have the small Epiphone standard guard.

The Frontier has maple back and sides, so is effectively a Hummingbird but with maple back/sides.
relaxing alternative to doing actual work ...

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:12 am

honestly, i've got a few guitar racks and i'm starting to worry i'm running out of space. my walls aint really strong/deep enough for hangers except for lighter guitars. i've been tempted to try seeing if i can take the base of those older warwick rock stands (the 7 guitar ones) and see if i can get some of those uprights for industrial shelves and make myself a 2 layer guitar stand (with maybe a storage shelf below or above) my flat is small and also really narrow so i've usually got to think about building up rather than anything else.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

Nevets
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Nevets » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:53 am

I have 3 on hangers in the living room. 3 on stands in my office. 2 in their cases.

shoule79
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shoule79 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:37 am

Always in their cases. I used to keep a few out on display, but I still had to store the cases, and space was a premium. Two kids ate up space quickly so I had to be pragmatic.

I also want to keep the environments impacts on them to a minimum. My house has a humidifier, and I have an in room humidifier in my basement music room. I keep it at 50% humidity at all times. Even then i've still seen seasonal swings that make me leery to keep guitars out in the open. My tele got some checking on its neck when I used to leave it out, and needed neck adjustments more frequently. Since I've been storing them in cases the tele and others need adjustments less.

Here's the whole setup. I've managed to fit everything except my wife's amp into a small corner during COVID, especially since the music room is now an office for two people and classroom for one. Everything fits except the Gibson acoustic and my kids guitars. When the Gibson's in line with the others the couch gets in the way of the door to the room.

jakeisjake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jakeisjake » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:06 am

I keep the acoustics (and empty cases) in the corner of the music room and the electrics on stands and wall hangers. I love the look of the electrics out...they are both practical tools that produce art and they are works of art in and of themselves.

The cases in the corner bug me...but, I don't know what else to do with them. To store them out of the way (under the bed or in a closet or storage room) is a bother because they do get used a lot...so, I guess we kind of live with that.

Here's an older pic of some of them:
If I was a byrd, I'd be mighty sore every time they shut the door and I don't think I'd sing...

papa_hotel_delta
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by papa_hotel_delta » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:59 pm

MrFingers wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:57 am
If you've got the depth available, angled wall-hangers are the way to go.

(how-to-deface a wall with 14 PRS's)

Cute, but I wouldn't choose this configuration anywhere with regular seismic activity.