Just how fragile are these thin skin nitro finishes?

For help with setups and other technical issues.
shishkabobs
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Just how fragile are these thin skin nitro finishes?

Post by shishkabobs » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:49 am

I recently picked up a AVRI 65 Jag and have some OCD questions in relation to its finish and the potential for checking.

Just how sensitive are these to temperature changes? I usually store my guitars in the basement which can hover in the 50s during a cold spell. I'll commonly run a guitar back and forth to my heated living room or fire up a small space heater to play in the basement.

Should I be wary of doing these sorts of things before the guitar acclimates in its case, or is that not enough of a temp swing to cause issues?

I get I'm being overly cautious but these things aren't cheap. Help ease my pain OSG!

Norrin Radd
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Just how fragile are these thin skin nitro finishes?

Post by Norrin Radd » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:28 am

Probably not enough of a temp swing but, no guarantees! Those thin skins were made for fast aging and if you don't want it checked, best to keep it temp controlled all the time. Personally I'd put it outside overnight (I live in Minnesota) on a cold evening (below zero) and then quick hit with a hair dryer right after bringing it in! Get that checking going so you don't have to worry about it anymore! :blush:

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:08 pm

If you're going to take your guitar from a cold basement and remove it from its case straight into in a warm living room, that is absolutely the type of thing that can cause nitro to check.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

augur
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by augur » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:33 pm

I have played a thin skin JM (from Dave's Guitars) for many years.
Played it on stage many time, travel inside car by winter and quickly on stage etc.
Absolutely no crackling on varnish. Only some paint wears because of friction with my arm and picks...
Actually it doesn't become reliced as fast as you would expect ;)