How the other half lives...

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
HarlowTheFish
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: How the other half lives...

Post by HarlowTheFish » Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:04 am

andy_tchp wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:41 pm
seenoevil II wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:55 pm
Thank you for this ethnography. Now I don't have to join them to find out. Man, that sounds horrendous.
Whenever the 'darkest corners of the internet' gets mentioned they're actually referring to that forum.
MyLesPaul: the 4chan board at the bottom of the list that nobody acknowledges

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:37 am

Larry Mal wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:40 pm
I was on the Gear Page over the weekend and was in a discussion about whether or not Gibson's "quality control" was terrible or what. I don't get all worked up about it, I usually just mention that I have bought somewhere under 50 Gibsons and have never found one of them to have any of the "fit and finish" things that the internet would tell was constant.

I really don't care to argue about it, I just feel that maybe there's some third person who might be reading the discussion who might genuinely believe that Gibson was putting out nothing but crap unless they see a counterpoint. Like, just go ahead and order your guitar from Sweetwater already... you'll be fine, if not deal with it, don't worry about what a bunch of people on the internet say.

Anyway, then some character made some point about how there's a group of people that tell nothing but lies and those people are liberals so I told the guy that he was a dumb asshole and I was admonished for it.

Quite rightly, also. I mean I put the guy's comment in a quote and said he was an asshole knowing that this would get attention. It was my way of calling attention to it without having to be a snitch, because snitches get stitches. Better that both of us end up in the hole than to get a rep for being a snitch to the guards.

So I'm in the hole on the Gear Page and I'm going to God damn stay in the hole until they let me out. I ain't saying nothing.

That's the difference between OSG and the Gear Page. Snitches get stitches over here.
I witnessed that discussion and would have jumped in, had I not already been banned 6 months ago for telling off a guy, who was ranting about Canada being the reason the world is full of "degenerate trannies" in a thread about censorship.
The ban reason: Using vulgarity towards a paid member.
You cant make that shit up. Bunch of right wingers censoring people in a conversation about censorship.
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:25 am

I'm not banned, and apparently don't have any "infraction points", but before I could post anything I would have to acknowledge that I have been admonished and have read the reason why.

Which I will probably do someday, but maybe I'll leave that up as a little flag telling me that I don't need to really use social media all that much.

When I was wanting to quit smoking, I did a bunch of things to make it burdensome and annoying to myself. Like I would never carry any cigarettes with me so that I only smoked at home, and if I went to a bar and bought a pack there I would throw them all away on the way out the door so I had to consider how I had wasted seven dollars on three cigarettes. After a while most people in my life had no idea that I ever smoked cigarettes.

Maybe this can be like that. I am looking to restrict my social media use considerably. That little warning might say, dude, let's reconsider. Do you really have anything to add? Is there nothing better you can do with your time?
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

CivoLee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by CivoLee » Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:43 pm

HedonismBot wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:38 pm
Just today I was trying to find information on how a particular line of LPs is different from its predecessor. Read an entire thread about the specs: "lawyer grade" flame tops, expensive feel, ditching standard LPs in favor of custom shop (these are just a couple grand more and they look so much better, c'mon man) and so on and so forth. NOTHING about the sound qualities! Some people just buy 'em Les Pauls for the bragging rights.
I don't get this about some players. Why buy/not buy a guitar just because of the grain pattern? Isn't the overall color more important as far as looks go? I've often said I'd settle for an "AA" (with regards to Gibson's "AAA" or "AAAA" top rating system) or a Seven- or Eight-Top (with regards to Paul Reed Smith's "Ten-Top" rating system) if they could be sold a grand or two cheaper. PRS, in particular are so intent on maintaining their reputation for nice tops that they actually destroy any bodies that aren't "perfect" by their standards. So wasteful.

Another thing that bothers me about "classic" models is some people who don't even play buy them as wall ornaments, or worse, as "investments". Great instruments that could be used to create more great music like how they got their reputation in the first place, now hanging in some rich prick's man-cave for "vibe" or sitting in some billionaire's vault to sell once it's appreciated enough. Maybe they could redeem themselves by auctioning it off for charity, but in the meantime that's one (or two) instruments robbed from a generation of musicians.

Then again, who am I to criticize how other people spend their hard-earned money? Freedom, dude! And besides, scarcity creates value for product in the market :fp:

Nick and the Noise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Nick and the Noise » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:19 am

Well, we can devise stereotypes for every forum out there can't we:

TDPRI: blues lawyer boomers discussing if the sleeves of Pete Townshend is interfering with his playing at the Superbowl.
The Gear Page: tan pants guys playing "praise and worship" music, with a board full of Strymon pedals.
Ultimate Guitar: teenagers into metal asking if one really needs a 7-string guitar since the top string is only used for sissy music.
Offset guitars: hipsters into unlistenable stuff like post-punk and noise, playing guitars with a broken bridge as an excuse to not learn musicianship.
Gearslutz: kids with trust funds collecting expensive analog rack gear, faking it as an professional and secretly hoping to become a famous producer one day.

DeathJag
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DeathJag » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:30 am

Don’t forget:

Talkbass - Bassists in cover bands feeling marginalized.

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:16 pm

DeathJag wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:30 am
Don’t forget:

Also: 'Jaco' tone/equipment/EQ/strings/string height/"mwah"/underpants
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

wooderson
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wooderson » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:59 pm

CivoLee wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:36 pm
If MyLesPaul is anything to go by, the average Les Paul player who isn't a rock star is a jaded older man who thinks any music made or got popular after 1987 is garbage ("The 'c' in rap is silent") and thinks only LPs, SGs, Strats and Teles are "mature" instruments (and PRS guitars, while pretty, just don't sound as good).
This isn't the profile of mylespaul, it's the profile of all the largest "music gear forums" - whatever kind of music or gear that might be. Gearslutz, Muffwiggler, TGP, etc. are largely older white men being older white men. The synth related ones are only unique in the presence of European dudes lamenting the decline of synthpop and Italo-Disco instead of butt-rock.

(OSG isn't as immune as one might think, nor I Love Fuzz. )

to be real honest, the least stereotypical "music nerd forums" might be the circlejerk subreddits

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:07 am

DeathJag wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:30 am
Don’t forget:

i got a 2 week ban on there for saying "listen, i get that it's reliable money but i get no joy from playing covers" yet the butt hurt people saying shit like "what, you too good to play music by professional songwriters? i bet your music sucks" didn't even get a warning.

honestly. i read 2 pages of the strat vs. jazzmaster post and couldn't read any more. tbh the video they linked too, i could only watch maybe 10 seconds before i shouted "fucking blooze lawyers" and closed the video. there's a few users that seems to have an opinion but they think it's a fact. something tells me these are the same kinda guitar players who have cornered me in a guitar shop (unprompted, might i add) and started telling me i need to play a "real" guitar and how i need to listen to "real" rock music. seriously, if one more boomer corners me in a guitar shop and tells me i should play a les paul and listen to peter green and "feel what he's laying down" i think i'm gonna pull a megan and start getting ball stabby
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

DeathJag
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DeathJag » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:20 am

Ha! But man TB has by far the best cat thread...

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:18 am

s_mcsleazy wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:07 am
seriously, if one more boomer corners me in a guitar shop and tells me i should play a les paul and listen to peter green and "feel what he's laying down" i think i'm gonna pull a megan and start getting ball stabby
I never got the Peter Green thing. Maybe I just missed it and if I would have been exposed to it as a young man I would like it or something.

I can't think of any of his music and have no idea why he's someone you hear about. I guess he did "Oh Well"? That's a good tune I guess.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:57 am

Nick and the Noise wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:19 am
Well, we can devise stereotypes for every forum out there can't we:

TDPRI: blues lawyer boomers discussing if the sleeves of Pete Townshend is interfering with his playing at the Superbowl.
The Gear Page: tan pants guys playing "praise and worship" music, with a board full of Strymon pedals.
Ultimate Guitar: teenagers into metal asking if one really needs a 7-string guitar since the top string is only used for sissy music.
Offset guitars: hipsters into unlistenable stuff like post-punk and noise, playing guitars with a broken bridge as an excuse to not learn musicianship.
Gearslutz: kids with trust funds collecting expensive analog rack gear, faking it as an professional and secretly hoping to become a famous producer one day.
XD

Stellar post. Post of the year.
much love,
J McAlpin
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

wooderson
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wooderson » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:36 am

Larry Mal wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:18 am
s_mcsleazy wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:07 am
seriously, if one more boomer corners me in a guitar shop and tells me i should play a les paul and listen to peter green and "feel what he's laying down" i think i'm gonna pull a megan and start getting ball stabby
I never got the Peter Green thing. Maybe I just missed it and if I would have been exposed to it as a young man I would like it or something.

I can't think of any of his music and have no idea why he's someone you hear about. I guess he did "Oh Well"? That's a good tune I guess.
I had someone try to sell me this as 'proto-stoner' and I guess but it's still boring to me. The guitar tone is pretty nice in the abstract, but I feel like I'm just allergic to white-guy blues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIOablw_ZhQ

(actually... I guess it is proto-stoner in that most stoner bands are less Om and more boring classic rock)

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:04 pm

Probably the best Peter Green track there is, written after he'd lost his mind too.
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

andy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:15 pm

My favourite part is when one guy responds with:
Fuck you
He makes a great point! :D
Send me western swing vids