Recommend me a boost/overdrive, please

Everyone needs a stompbox.
hillerheilman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Recommend me a boost/overdrive, please

Post by hillerheilman » Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:32 pm

Okay forum, I need your help please.

I had intended to order a Laney TI Boost for my ampless setup but had an unfortunate experience on reverb today and ended up just getting my money refunded. I think this is kind of a blessing in disguise though, as I now have time to play more with my setup as is and consider other options. Currently I’m using a DSM/Humboldt Simplifier as my preamp, with the fuzz side of a Keeley Monterey serving as my distortion.
The simplifier and the Monterey have a similar problem though, in that I think they both need an extra gain pedal with them.

The Simplifier is a really excellent clean pedal platform preamp type thing, but the built in gain isn’t doing it for me. The best way I can describe it is that somewhere around 2-3 o clock it gets “farty”. It gets worse the further up you go.
With the Monterey it’s sort of a similar situation to the Simplifier. The fuzz is okay, but it doesn’t feel like it’s all there. It needs to go into a drive of some kind to be more useful I feel.

So what I’d like is a drive pedal that can do things ranging from fattening up my clean tone to edge of breakup type tones that I can then stack with the fuzz for a more distortion type sound. I thought that a rangemaster type pedal would do because I use flatwound strings and too much bass is sometimes an issue for me, but I’m open to other options. I don’t necessarily think I want it to be entirely clean or transparent, but not so colored that it completely masks the clean tone. What do you recommend, forum?

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Recommend me a boost/overdrive, please

Post by jorri » Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:07 pm

Well just as you say amp-less, Ive recently got a hudson Broadcast (Dual) I am very pleased with both at band practice thru amp, and with DI recording, as well as a bass saturator due to it having a transformer which is some part of 'preamp drive warmth'..
It arrived basically as a slightly dirty boost or an explosive fuzz on the right footswitch, but its adjustable with trimmers (i went for more overdrive or distortion territory (have two fuzzes) but there is room on the trims to set almost any gains you want in between. and further adjustability with voltages. I have only used 9v/12v and its hugely different in gain/treble but can go to 24v especially if wanted super clean boosts . ).
It has lo cut only, as you mention needing. I do find it could be more versatile with a highcut or mid hump option if i was picky and wanted ocd/screamer tones but not found it missing in practice (can always run eq on a later pedal, as i guess you can on your preamp)

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:16 pm

A klone would be great for this I think. I like my Archer Ikon a lot. I have more, but a klone and a Rat will do just about everything I need dirt-wise.

JVG
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JVG » Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:34 pm

As a treble booster fan, i’d suggest one of the modern variants with a tone switch, eg Kelley Java, Jam Rooster, Fulltone Ranger, etc .

ElephantDNA
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ElephantDNA » Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:00 am

JVG wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:34 pm
As a treble booster fan, i’d suggest one of the modern variants with a tone switch, eg Kelley Java, Jam Rooster, Fulltone Ranger, etc .
Yeah this application treble booster seems like a good call.

Meriphew
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Meriphew » Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:53 am

The Fairfield Circuitry Barbershop is an awesome boost pedal. It also works incredibly well for stacking. It makes just about any other OD/fuzz that you run In to it sound better.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:09 am

ElephantDNA wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:00 am
JVG wrote:
Blammo! makes a very cool looking one with a 3 position tone switch, user-adjustable bias trim, and soft switch.

I personally would not go TB here though. I think flatwounds might accentuate the honk in an unflattering way, and who knows if the Simplifier will sound good pushed in that way.

Another one that might be worth a look is the Emerson EM-Drive.

Some low-mid gain drives have a grainy thing going on, or an unflattering mid hump. Those are the qualities I’d want to avoid.

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:55 am

Meriphew wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:53 am
The Fairfield Circuitry Barbershop is an awesome boost pedal. It also works incredibly well for stacking. It makes just about any other OD/fuzz that you run In to it sound better.
I have heard this from just about everyone that owns a Barbershop. I have a couple of Fairfield’s and keep thinking about adding the Barbershop. They even have an “always on” version without a stomper.

del
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by del » Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:06 am

here's my low-brow favorite: DOD 250 Overdrive/Preamp.
It's easy to find, there are lots of copies, and has a tonal range from the lightest dusting of drive to dirty grit to fuzz.
The Kinks - The Fall – The Bad Seeds - Spacemen 3 - The Gories - Royal Trux
"The idea is to put a pick in one hand and a guitar in the other and with a tiny movement rule the world." - David Fair

ElephantDNA
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ElephantDNA » Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:32 am

del wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:06 am
here's my low-brow favorite: DOD 250 Overdrive/Preamp.
It's easy to find, there are lots of copies, and has a tonal range from the lightest dusting of drive to dirty grit to fuzz.
Answer to every thread lol. My always-on best friend :)

hillerheilman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hillerheilman » Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:08 pm

marqueemoon wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:09 am
ElephantDNA wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:00 am
JVG wrote:
Blammo! makes a very cool looking one with a 3 position tone switch, user-adjustable bias trim, and soft switch.

I personally would not go TB here though. I think flatwounds might accentuate the honk in an unflattering way, and who knows if the Simplifier will sound good pushed in that way.

Another one that might be worth a look is the Emerson EM-Drive.

Some low-mid gain drives have a grainy thing going on, or an unflattering mid hump. Those are the qualities I’d want to avoid.
That could be true about the honk. I just don’t want the bass to become overwhelming or muddy, and with flat wound strings tuned down to C, as you can probably imagine, that definitely happens. My thinking was that a treble booster with bass cut would help to give it non farty gain and clarify those muddy low strings.

Lately I’ve been considering giving half round strings a shot to see if that helps. I just really hate all the string noise that comes from playing the way I do with round wounds.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:25 pm

hillerheilman wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:08 pm
I just don’t want the bass to become overwhelming or muddy, and with flat wound strings tuned down to C, as you can probably imagine, that definitely happens. My thinking was that a treble booster with bass cut would help to give it non farty gain and clarify those muddy low strings.

Lately I’ve been considering giving half round strings a shot to see if that helps. I just really hate all the string noise that comes from playing the way I do with round wounds.
I missed the part about tuning down to C. The traditional Rangemaster eq curve lops off a shit ton of bass. If you go that route I think you'd want to be able to vary the amount of bass rolloff via a switch or rotary control.

You might also look at circuits designed for bass. I've used my Darkglass Vintage Microtubes for guitar a few times, and the clean blend integrates well with the dirt at milder settings. Overall there is a bit of low mid bump though, which I don't much like on guitar (same reason I don't like closed back cabs).

bubba899
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bubba899 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:22 am

jorri wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:07 pm
Well just as you say amp-less, Ive recently got a hudson Broadcast (Dual) I am very pleased with both at band practice thru amp, and with DI recording, as well as a bass saturator due to it having a transformer which is some part of 'preamp drive warmth'..
It arrived basically as a slightly dirty boost or an explosive fuzz on the right footswitch, but its adjustable with trimmers (i went for more overdrive or distortion territory (have two fuzzes) but there is room on the trims to set almost any gains you want in between. and further adjustability with voltages. I have only used 9v/12v and its hugely different in gain/treble but can go to 24v especially if wanted super clean boosts . ).
It has lo cut only, as you mention needing. I do find it could be more versatile with a highcut or mid hump option if i was picky and wanted ocd/screamer tones but not found it missing in practice (can always run eq on a later pedal, as i guess you can on your preamp)
I second this. Super versatile drive and boost, stacks really nicely with other gain. There is also a version you can get with a hi cut from Regents Sounds on Denmark St.

https://www.regentsounds.com/products/h ... ZtEALw_wcB

Gavanti
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Gavanti » Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:36 am

The SSBS Mini and Benson Preamp are both super versatile with a wide range of dirt and tone shaping. I prefer the feel of the Benson and stack other dirt into it. A booster beforehand works well too.

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:55 am

bubba899 wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:22 am
jorri wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:07 pm
I second this. Super versatile drive and boost, stacks really nicely with other gain. There is also a version you can get with a hi cut from Regents Sounds on Denmark St.

https://www.regentsounds.com/products/h ... ZtEALw_wcB
That's cool I have never seen this version.
But they did these limited runs for specific shops in different colours for each shop and now majority of them are sold out including this one.

It would be the easiest mod in the world except for screwing with a nice pedal though. I've found it versatile enough though, its only that it evolved out of GAS for a Palisades or Odyssey or another low-gain Rat but I dont seem to require that much options especially stacking 4 dirt boxes, amp drive, some eqs on my zoom pedal if ever so desire to get that in depth.