Recommend me a boost/overdrive, please

Everyone needs a stompbox.
bubba899
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Recommend me a boost/overdrive, please

Post by bubba899 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:25 am

Yeah, they're not always easy to get hold of. That being said, i think they've done a couple of runs with Regents, so will probably come back around again.

You're right though, It doesn't really need that mod. It's character is what makes it great and when staked with other pedals can easily get you a range of gain sounds.

hillerheilman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hillerheilman » Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:20 pm

marqueemoon wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:25 pm
hillerheilman wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:08 pm
I just don’t want the bass to become overwhelming or muddy, and with flat wound strings tuned down to C, as you can probably imagine, that definitely happens. My thinking was that a treble booster with bass cut would help to give it non farty gain and clarify those muddy low strings.

Lately I’ve been considering giving half round strings a shot to see if that helps. I just really hate all the string noise that comes from playing the way I do with round wounds.
I missed the part about tuning down to C. The traditional Rangemaster eq curve lops off a shit ton of bass. If you go that route I think you'd want to be able to vary the amount of bass rolloff via a switch or rotary control.

You might also look at circuits designed for bass. I've used my Darkglass Vintage Microtubes for guitar a few times, and the clean blend integrates well with the dirt at milder settings. Overall there is a bit of low mid bump though, which I don't much like on guitar (same reason I don't like closed back cabs).

Ah, yeah. I guess I neglected to mention that in my first post.
I haven’t considered looking at bass pedals, but now that I think about it that could open up more options. I think that a klon type thing could also work, as you mentioned. I’m looking into the rockaway archer right now.

bubba899
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bubba899 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:13 am

hillerheilman wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:20 pm

Ah, yeah. I guess I neglected to mention that in my first post.
I haven’t considered looking at bass pedals, but now that I think about it that could open up more options. I think that a klon type thing could also work, as you mentioned. I’m looking into the rockaway archer right now.
The Bass Soul Food is a Klon for Bass with a clean blend. Could be worth a look?