Dark theme???

For troubles with forum features or general questions regarding site moderation/administration.
luau
Admin
Admin

Re: Dark theme???

Post by luau » Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:30 am

I think I've got the server tweaked such that clearing cached data to retrieve the modified stylesheet is no longer required.

DaFuzz
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by DaFuzz » Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:25 am

luau wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:30 am
I think I've got the server tweaked such that clearing cached data to retrieve the modified stylesheet is no longer required.
Tried it with Safari, Chrome & Brave using different wifi networks and mobile data. Doesn't seem to work on the iPhone. Hope someone with a similar phone could chime in...
ART IS RESISTANCE

tammyw
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tammyw » Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:38 pm

I tried an iPhone, but the site didn't do dark mode, it was all the regular light gray. DDG is appearing correctly dark with the phone in dark mode. You can still turn on Smart Invert from Accessibility features, which gives you a sort-of dark mode, but it makes everything on your phone look funny.

Actually on Android also, when I set the Chrome theme to dark mode, this site still came up all in light gray. The only way I can get it to look like this is by enabling chrome://flags > Auto Dark Mode for Web Contents (option not available in iOS).

I just thought I'd give it try, sorry I don't have any other ideas. Personally I can't stand dark mode, it makes me all :jacked: :squint: :jacked: :squint: :jacked:

I noticed I don't get the background image on my laptop anymore either. :D
All pain and troubles melted away like lemon drops beyond the contrails across the sky.

luau
Admin
Admin

Post by luau » Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:55 am

DaFuzz wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:25 am
luau wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:30 am
Tried it with Safari, Chrome & Brave using different wifi networks and mobile data. Doesn't seem to work on the iPhone. Hope someone with a similar phone could chime in...
Thanks for checking. I'm afraid I've taken things as far as I can to make what's on the server behave as well as possible with what various devices are capable of on their own with and without browser extensions. Phones in general are the weak link since they don't do extensions.

I'm not done thinking about it, but there's nowhere else for me to go right now that doesn't involve pretty serious modifications to the current site (database modification to preserve each user's choice, associated reading/writing code to/from the database, some php coding to provide an interface for users to assert their choice, and then a whole set of alternate css to provide a proper dark mode from the server) and that effort would probably be better spent on a migration.

luau
Admin
Admin

Post by luau » Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:57 am

tammyw wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:38 pm
I noticed I don't get the background image on my laptop anymore either. :D
Thanks for lending a hand.

And yeah, if you've got a device that can do greater than 1600 horizontal resolution, you can make the background image appear and disappear just by resizing the browser window.