OSG Rickenbacker (and Rickenfaker) thread?

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
JVG
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: OSG Rickenbacker (and Rickenfaker) thread?

Post by JVG » Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:29 am

Rickenbackers look great, but until they show some respect by making a correctly orientated ‘R’ tailpiece for lefties they can blow goats.

Zeus
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Zeus » Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:36 am

GreenKnee wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:07 am
All of these Ric'se are gorgeous, giving me serious GAS for one again. I've been through this stage a few times where I really want one because I love the looks but when I play one there is something off with the necks. I'm not sure what it is but it feels very narrow, although I just checked the specs and it isn't really that much thinner than Fenders at the nut. Perhaps I should try one again... :shifty:
The unique thing about Ric necks is they don't greatly broaden out as you move towards the body, they stay much narrower than other brands. One of their (IMO) lovable quirks!

This isn't about your comment, more of an observation of a consistent gripe on other gear forums, but I'm always confused by people who want Rics to have unfinished fretboards, wider nuts, wider necks, bigger frets, etc., i.e. make them play like every single other guitar brand.

I love that Ric are a family owned company who stubbornly do their own thing, regardless of modern demands.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:38 am

Zeus wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:36 am
GreenKnee wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:07 am
All of these Ric'se are gorgeous, giving me serious GAS for one again. I've been through this stage a few times where I really want one because I love the looks but when I play one there is something off with the necks. I'm not sure what it is but it feels very narrow, although I just checked the specs and it isn't really that much thinner than Fenders at the nut. Perhaps I should try one again... :shifty:
The unique thing about Ric necks is they don't greatly broaden out as you move towards the body, they stay much narrower than other brands. One of their (IMO) lovable quirks!

This isn't about your comment, more of an observation of a consistent gripe on other gear forums, but I'm always confused by people who want Rics to have unfinished fretboards, wider nuts, wider necks, bigger frets, etc., i.e. make them play like every single other guitar brand.

I love that Ric are a family owned company who stubbornly do their own thing, regardless of modern demands.
I like the neck on mine. I managed to get one that actually has a more standard nut width (41.3mm) instead of their usual 40mm which was annoying but not insurmountable but I like the way it doesn't taper much. I don't really play lead or go up past the 12th fret ever so it's good for me.

The varnished board is a little odd and will take some getting used to. I'd definitely prefer it unfinished but that's likely just a familiarity/comfort thing.
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

GreenKnee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GreenKnee » Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:02 am

JSett wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:38 am
Zeus wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:36 am
Interesting, now I'm more accustomed to A width Fender necks perhaps a Ric wouldn't feel so out of place. I also remember the varnished board feeling strange but, as Johnny states, I'm sure that it can be acclimatised to.

I'll keep my eyes peeled at Richtone for another Ric to come in second-hand and then I can give one another try to see how it feels.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:09 am

If you're fine with A necks then you'll be fine with a Ric. I love A necks but there's not many 25.5" Fenders out there with them.
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

jakeisjake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jakeisjake » Mon Apr 03, 2023 4:05 am

first up a Nelson Socialite.

It was a great guitar and I only sold it to fund another Nelson build. The only thing I didn't like was that this was originally a 12 string that was converted to a six string, so the headstock was wonky.

If I was a byrd, I'd be mighty sore every time they shut the door and I don't think I'd sing...

jakeisjake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jakeisjake » Mon Apr 03, 2023 4:05 am

first up a Nelson Socialite.

It was a great guitar and I only sold it to fund another Nelson build. The only thing I didn't like was that this was originally a 12 string that was converted to a six string, so the headstock was wonky.

If I was a byrd, I'd be mighty sore every time they shut the door and I don't think I'd sing...

jakeisjake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jakeisjake » Mon Apr 03, 2023 4:09 am

2008 Rickenbacker 330 with real toaster tops (Ric re-issues)

THis was a great guitar that I sold because I had GAS...my kids were majorly pissed at me for selling it without telling them; it was mine...but, you know...they were right. I still feel bad about it (and they still remind me of it).

jakeisjake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jakeisjake » Mon Apr 03, 2023 4:21 am

I bought this one from one of those online "vintage guitar" sites. It is made in China. It wasn't too expensive, but was more expensive than buying one of their premade models. It mostly hangs on the wall and looks pretty...but it really sounds great (the toasters in it sound identical to the p/ups in the Ric I had).

jakeisjake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jakeisjake » Mon Apr 03, 2023 4:24 am

I wish I could find more pics of this one. It was an absolutely stunning 620-12 in Amber-Fireglo. It was incredible and I was always so nervous about putting a ding in it. This is one I definitely should have kept. Someday I might get HW to build one like it (or at least the color).

jakeisjake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jakeisjake » Mon Apr 03, 2023 4:33 am

I asked Bobby Nelson (of Nelson Instruments) if he would build me a Capri style Ric. After much discussion, he said he would. I get more compliments on the look and the sound of this guitar than any other I have, or have had. It is a monster.

It is super heavy, tho; and it is difficult to play sitting down.

Everything else about it is awesome. I replaced the original pickups (which Bobby hand wound) for real Ric Hi-Gains. It turns out that his compare very favorably to the Hi Gains.

The neatest feature is the center strip on the body. It is froma piece of floor board from our old farm house.

jakeisjake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jakeisjake » Mon Apr 03, 2023 4:40 am

This is the finest guitar I've ever owned. It "out Rics a Ric". Built by Harry White, it is unfair to call it a "Faker" (but, of course, it is.). As far as fakers go, it was price...altho, (much) less than what a Ric of similar shape/specs would be. This does everything right...looks great, plays great and sounds great. I don't know what he uses for pickups...I only know they aren't Chinese (I asked specifically) and they aren't Creameries...I play this a lot with the church band and it definitely has "THAT" sound. I priced out some new white guards and TRC (I'm not a fan of it saying Rickenbacker)...next time some extra cash comes in, I just might do that.

Tafarel
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Tafarel » Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:45 am

I've had this for about two years. It's been used on our recordings, but deploying it live has proved to be problematic. Plays wonderfully and sounds chimey.

This photo is from the seller's Reverb post. I tend not to take photos of my gear, and his are/were better than anything I could manage.

I've since taken off the sticker on the pickguard.
"I'm nostalgic for conversations I had yesterday. I've begun reminiscing events before they even occur. I'm reminiscing this right now. I can't go to the bar because I've already looked back on it in my memory, and I didn't have a good time."

GreenKnee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GreenKnee » Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:03 am

Tafarel wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:45 am
This is stunning :?

What exact model is this? I'd love a 330/12 with the bound body, bound fretboard and fancy inlays.

Tafarel
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Tafarel » Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:11 am

GreenKnee wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:03 am
Tafarel wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:45 am
This is stunning :?

What exact model is this? I'd love a 330/12 with the bound body, bound fretboard and fancy inlays.
Thank you. It is the 360/12 C63 model.
"I'm nostalgic for conversations I had yesterday. I've begun reminiscing events before they even occur. I'm reminiscing this right now. I can't go to the bar because I've already looked back on it in my memory, and I didn't have a good time."