Shields Blender - Kevin Shields Signature Fender Blender?

Everyone needs a stompbox.
sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Shields Blender - Kevin Shields Signature Fender Blender?

Post by sal paradise » Sun Jun 18, 2023 7:42 am

Embenny wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2023 7:38 am
UlricvonCatalyst wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2023 12:55 am
Fender don't benefit from driving secondary market prices up though (unless they kept back 500 of the 700 and used shills to sell them at inflated secondary prices)?

The main benefit I can see for them was they sold the whole batch in a matter of hours, but it's the scalpers who have got the big pay-day here.
Fender benefits massively, it's just in a more longterm sort of way.

They sold a ton of $500 pedals instantly. They probably made a much higher margin on this than anything else they sell - I wouldn't be surprised if each Shields Blender was as profitable for them as selling three or four $500 amps. By creating a hype/buying frenzy where people are now paying insane prices for the thing that was just released, they're trying to establish a FOMO culture the way Gibson has with their Mod Shop. If people are going nuts buying and selling the pedal on the secondary market, it contributes to the mystique of "limited edition Fender pedals", and they will cash in on that with future releases. Maybe the next one is $600 or $700, and people will think, "I gotta get that, even $700 is a deal after what happened with the Shields Blender!"

Fender will benefit more than any scalper. They just unlocked an entirely new revenue stream, collectible gear, with a higher profit margin than any guitar or amp. Whoever proposed this idea at FMIC is probably getting a big promotion after this.
This. They sold 700 pedals @ $500 with a big margin in a few hours. That’s unbelievable business.

And the hype train for any future limited editions is real.

Yes, they underestimated the market. But that’s not surprising. If you’re paying to build and store them, lower us better than higher. Nothing worse than having 2000 & 1300 are left sitting in a warehouse for two years.
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Sun Jun 18, 2023 8:04 am

sal paradise wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2023 7:42 am
This. They sold 700 pedals @ $500 with a big margin in a few hours. That’s unbelievable business.

And the hype train for any future limited editions is real.

Yes, they underestimated the market. But that’s not surprising. If you’re paying to build and store them, lower us better than higher. Nothing worse than having 2000 & 1300 are left sitting in a warehouse for two years.
Yep, and "underpricing" (relative to demand) is also an incredibly powerful marketing technique. Everyone who is remotely interested in this pedal is watching this and learning a lesson - "people will pay 4 figures for this shit." So even if Fender never jacks up the price on future releases, they're establishing a mindset where people look at a $500 pedal and not only think, "that price is definitely justified," they're actually thinking, "that's a bargain! I'll easily get my money back, probably more, and I only have RIGHT NOW to decide to buy it because these things sell instantly!"

That kind of perception among potential buyers is the holy grail of marketing.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

Pacafeliz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pacafeliz » Sun Jun 18, 2023 9:13 am

UlricvonCatalyst wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2023 12:48 am
Pacafeliz wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:20 pm
qrong
I totally get all the love for Mike Pano's Smiths comment, but for whatever reason this typo really tickled me.
U live u all
i love delay SO much ...that i procrastinate all the time.

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Sun Jun 18, 2023 10:20 am

cpeck wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2023 7:28 am
I got #74 with the USB drive.

One of the more curious things about this package is the claim that most rhythm track distortion on Loveless came from a red knob The Twin…
Wait. What? In the $300 booklet that came with the pedal??

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Sun Jun 18, 2023 10:29 am

OffYourFace wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2023 10:20 am
cpeck wrote:

One of the more curious things about this package is the claim that most rhythm track distortion on Loveless came from a red knob The Twin…
Oh jeez. Does that mean I now have to fill my garage with The Twins ahead of the rush on prices? My back might not take it :D
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Sun Jun 18, 2023 10:47 am

sunburster wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2023 5:28 pm
Apparently the USB drives contain different instrumental songs?!? Would be crazy if it's 100 different instrumentals.

Here are two posted so far:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVNDw5OgLwE
I think Kevin needs to learn to program his drum machine.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

distressed
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by distressed » Sun Jun 18, 2023 10:57 am

JSett wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2023 10:29 am
Oh jeez. Does that mean I now have to fill my garage with The Twins ahead of the rush on prices? My back might not take it :D
That would be cool actually. Reissue of the heaviest possible valve combo, ultra limited run of 300, with a bargain price of $2500-3000 (*resale value up to +56%). Just to check out how far an average guitarist can go.
Roza
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg_imQDC4eUOjuBBRl2mBwA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyQgllCIpqY
https://rozaliftwave.bandcamp.com/

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Sun Jun 18, 2023 11:04 am

JSett wrote:
OffYourFace wrote:
cpeck wrote:

OMG that would be funny. I know he used the Twin for a lot of the IA era live shows so it would make sense that he started tracking with that amp.

In other news, it was pretty much revealed that he used the Roger Mayer Axis fuzz thru a rented vintage Marshall head for a lot of the Loveless basic tracks (according to the Alan Moulder interview) but no one is buying those up like crazy. I guess if Reverb doesn't blast this info in your face with weekly emails, it's not true :D I have an older black one like he used and it sounds like it to me. It's a brighter Fuzz that works great with the rhythm ckt that keeps chord clarity.

But at the same time, from my limited time working as a pro touring guitar tech, I learned that a lot of 90s guitarists still really held onto their 'secrets' or at least wanted to keep the mythology alive. It appears everyone is ready for a payout now in exchange for info but it's probably more about a retirement plan than buying a mansion.

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Sun Jun 18, 2023 11:05 am

Larry Mal wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2023 10:47 am
sunburster wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2023 5:28 pm
Apparently the USB drives contain different instrumental songs?!? Would be crazy if it's 100 different instrumentals.

Here are two posted so far:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVNDw5OgLwE
I think Kevin needs to learn to program his drum machine.
yeah that beat is so bad. the music would've sounded much better with a real drummer.

caples
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by caples » Sun Jun 18, 2023 12:16 pm

I didn't realize how limited edition they were and didn't buy one :fp:
1969 Comp Blue Mustang, 1965 Natural Jaguar

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Sun Jun 18, 2023 12:21 pm

caples wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2023 12:16 pm
a ton more coming in september. If you look at the gut shots, it's a typical mass produced SMT ckt.

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Sun Jun 18, 2023 2:04 pm

OffYourFace wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2023 11:04 am
JSett wrote:
OffYourFace wrote:

OMG that would be funny. I know he used the Twin for a lot of the IA era live shows so it would make sense that he started tracking with that amp.

In other news, it was pretty much revealed that he used the Roger Mayer Axis fuzz thru a rented vintage Marshall head for a lot of the Loveless basic tracks (according to the Alan Moulder interview) but no one is buying those up like crazy. I guess if Reverb doesn't blast this info in your face with weekly emails, it's not true :D I have an older black one like he used and it sounds like it to me. It's a brighter Fuzz that works great with the rhythm ckt that keeps chord clarity.

But at the same time, from my limited time working as a pro touring guitar tech, I learned that a lot of 90s guitarists still really held onto their 'secrets' or at least wanted to keep the mythology alive. It appears everyone is ready for a payout now in exchange for info but it's probably more about a retirement plan than buying a mansion.
Not many shoegazers using marshalls for some reason these days. I've heard a lot of suggestions for AC30s although i don't have a clue where that was from. I've seen him use one, but it was within some live setup of many many amps so i've no idea how the shoegaze/ac30 association started that i have seen.
But a lot of it was recording technique anyway, with the use of a lot of room sound and odd compression..
...so my response to all that is if he has a pedalboard of fifty things and ten plus amps then no piece of gear will be shields-like. Except, the spx90 and floating tremolo which are consistently used.

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Sun Jun 18, 2023 2:26 pm

jorri wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2023 2:04 pm

Not many shoegazers using marshalls for some reason these days. I've heard a lot of suggestions for AC30s although i don't have a clue where that was from. I've seen him use one, but it was within some live setup of many many amps so i've no idea how the shoegaze/ac30 association started that i have seen.
it's well documented that he used two AC30s on Loveless, especially for the 'lead guitar' on Only Shallow. In interviews in the 90s he said the AC30 didn't add much live and thought it would just be another thing for "the sound man to get wrong".

MattK
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MattK » Sun Jun 18, 2023 2:47 pm

I saw mbv play on a super hot day in Melbourne (like 40°) and one of the tech crew had to come out and point a fan directly into the back of an AC30, then had to stand there with a plywood sheet fanning it manually. KS had about six different models of amp stacked on the stage.

BlueMelody
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BlueMelody » Sun Jun 18, 2023 3:53 pm

OffYourFace wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2023 12:21 pm
caples wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2023 12:16 pm
a ton more coming in september. If you look at the gut shots, it's a typical mass produced SMT ckt.
Is this actually confirmed or just a rumor/speculation?