I find it hard to get excited about guitar since switching to Bass - anything I'm missing?

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Dollywitch
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: I find it hard to get excited about guitar since switching to Bass - anything I'm missing?

Post by Dollywitch » Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:08 am

tqi wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:44 am
Larsongs wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:11 am
No reason you can’t play both..
For example, get yourself a Classic Vibe Bass VI and you can play both - AT THE SAME TIME!
Starting to consider this again NGL. Or another Baritone at least.

Maybe I'll end up as an annoying 6 string bassist lol

tqi
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

-

Post by tqi » Wed Dec 13, 2023 3:22 pm

-
Last edited by tqi on Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

andy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: I find it hard to get excited about guitar since switching to Bass - anything I'm missing?

Post by andy » Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:52 pm

Playing bass is great. Go with that! Give guitar a break for a few months and it may grab you more after a good break.
Send me western swing vids

ohm-men
Expat
Expat

Post by ohm-men » Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:36 pm

Get a Bass VI. Really...
I had the same issue some year ago, playing guitar in bands for years, suddenly felt no longer interested and quit all allong.
Switched to bass and joined a band to see how it would feel and never looked back.

got back at guitar, but felt missing something in between, so I made my own Bass VI arround a Squier bronco bass neck.
For me, everything fell kind of together, low bass tones with a guitar like aproach.

Still one of my favorite instruments. Play it now combined with my bass/ and or use it as a bass in the band I'm in.

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:57 pm

I love playing bass too, but I have to say that I'm seldom drawn to playing bass over 6-string guitar outwith the context of arranging a song. I know it's technically possible to play altered tunings on a 4-string bass, but these seem more apt on a 6-string, as well as being more likely to take you to places you might not have arrived at in standard tuning. I guess what I'm saying is don't give up on your 6-string playing, but maybe think about swapping out your least favourite for something else.

If I was in the market for something easily available and not stupidly expensive to rekindle my interest in 6-strings I'd look for a good deal on a Yamaha Revstar. I think these would fit the bill of not being the cliched choice for the genres you're into while fulfilling your stated preference for Les Paulishness but also offering a single coil option in the form of P90s. The bottom of the range ones can be had new for the same kind of price range as higher-end Squiers.

They've been around for long enough for there to be some second-hand options out there, but even brand new they seem to offer pretty good value for money. I'd love one of the P90-equipped ones, but I have way too many guitars already so it'd be hard to justify as I'm supposedly on a mission to trim some of the fat off my collection.

Dollywitch
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Dollywitch » Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:45 am

The Revstars honestly look great I just hate the lack of trem

Synchro
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Synchro » Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:13 pm

I enjoy playing bass, when I have the opportunity. Circa 15 years ago, a friend and I formed a duo. He was a solid rhythm player, and a great singer. I played bass, probably 90% of the time, and occasionally played lead guitar, but the bass led to a fuller sound, so I went with it.

One of the things that I like about bass is that you are basically improvising, most of the time. Bass lines can be simple, or complex, and there’s a lot of room for creativity. Sometimes, just a very simple, straightforward line can lay the perfect foundation, and other times you have a lot of latitude. I’d say go with it.

An earlier comment mentioned making an instrument purchase to rekindle interest, and I’ll second his conclusion. Usually, all that does is use up money.
The artist formerly known as Synchro.

When Surf Guitar is outlawed, only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Thu Dec 21, 2023 6:46 am

I go back & forth from Guitar to Bass all the time. They are two different styles & require different skills. I think playing both makes me a better musician. I like all the things you can do with Guitars. And there’s something really cool about laying down a good Bass line on a song..

I do a lot of Recording.. I also, play some Keyboard & Harp..

I like playing in a Band. I also like being able to lay down all the Tracks in the Studio too..

Synchro
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Synchro » Thu Dec 21, 2023 5:54 pm

Larsongs wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 6:46 am
I go back & forth from Guitar to Bass all the time. They are two different styles & require different skills. I think playing both makes me a better musician. I like all the things you can do with Guitars. And there’s something really cool about laying down a good Bass line on a song..

I like playing in a Band. I also like being able to lay down all the Tracks in the Studio too..
While the fingering chart for the lower four strings and a bass are the same (except for being an octave apart) playing guitar and playing bass are quite different from one another. I find that the thought process is quite different between the two instruments. I’ve also noticed that developing a bass part for a song that I already play on guitar adds more insights into the song.

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:20 am

Synchro wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 5:54 pm
Larsongs wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 6:46 am

While the fingering chart for the lower four strings and a bass are the same (except for being an octave apart) playing guitar and playing bass are quite different from one another. I find that the thought process is quite different between the two instruments. I’ve also noticed that developing a bass part for a song that I already play on guitar adds more insights into the song.
I agree.. Getting a great Bass line & a great Drum Part is the foundation of the song.. The Rhythm Section! From there you build the house…..

Synchro
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Synchro » Fri Dec 22, 2023 12:08 pm

Larsongs wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:20 am
I agree.. Getting a great Bass line & a great Drum Part is the foundation of the song.. The Rhythm Section! From there you build the house…..
I love the sound of the guitar and bass each taking off in their own directions. It reminds me of what Bach was doing with his two part inventions.

tqi
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

-

Post by tqi » Fri Dec 22, 2023 1:21 pm

-
Last edited by tqi on Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Synchro
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Synchro » Fri Dec 22, 2023 1:44 pm

tqi wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 1:21 pm
Synchro wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 12:08 pm
I love the sound of the guitar and bass each taking off in their own directions. It reminds me of what Bach was doing with his two part inventions.
Here's a song I love at the moment where the guitar and bass are quite independent from each other except for a few rare moments, and the guitar is absolutely subsidiary to the bass. Also I love it because the bass is played with a pick bigger than most peoples hands.

ワタシダケユウレイ by SICK HACK

Yeah, Sync. THAT giant pick. Who knew it would come back into conversation?

Side note, turns out I have some Norwegian too. My Uncle did a DNA test. ScottiScandi-bros! :D
That’s amazing. A musical feat which could not have been accomplished before the invention of the electric bass. It really drives that song.

The bassist I work with the most has recently started using a pick, albeit a conventional one. He feels that he can get better speed than is possible, fingerstyle.

The Scottiscandi link is a great thing. Between that and the recent Asian blood on my father’s side of the family, I live in a constant state of identity confusion. :)

tqi
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

-

Post by tqi » Fri Dec 22, 2023 2:54 pm

-
Last edited by tqi on Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Synchro
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Synchro » Fri Dec 22, 2023 8:36 pm

tqi wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 2:54 pm
Synchro wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 1:44 pm

The bassist I work with the most has recently started using a pick, albeit a conventional one. He feels that he can get better speed than is possible, fingerstyle.
Well, you know what I play, and you know fingerstyle doesn't work so great on it, so yeah. Jazz III here. (Plus a Bachi.)
Synchro wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 1:44 pm
The Scottiscandi link is a great thing. Between that and the recent Asian blood on my father’s side of the family, I live in a constant state of identity confusion. :)
But at least the secret is out now! :D
You might like one of these: Dunlop Jazztone 477 205