Classic Offset look......

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.

What kind of pickguard do you like on your offsets?

Tortoise shell
54%
Mint Green
18%
White
9%
Black
7%
Gold Anodized
13%

Total votes: 56

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Re: Classic Offset look......

Post by Maggieo » Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:00 pm

Sonichris wrote:
evoluzione wrote:
slomomarc wrote: Yeah.....pre-CBS tortoise shell is the best on any colour.
Not on LPB surely, it's gotta be a white guard.
Here's my latest re-fin - Its an AV jazzmaster that had a run-in with a pedal board,  so it needed a new paint job.  I thought I'd prefer the mint guard,  but I've gotten to like the tort - even if it isn't vintage.

Chris (only 47 more posts to go.)
That just reinforces my idea that white and mint 'guards should have nothing to do with Jazzmasters.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

DB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DB » Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:06 pm

Sonichris wrote: Here's my latest re-fin - Its an AV jazzmaster that had a run-in with a pedal board,  so it needed a new paint job.  I thought I'd prefer the mint guard,  but I've gotten to like the tort - even if it isn't vintage.
I would have voted for a mint guard with LPB, but this one I think has changed my mind.  Who did the refin, and what paint?  Just awesome!

DB
IV, V, VI, XII...

Sonichris
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Sonichris » Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:16 pm

DB wrote:
Sonichris wrote: Here's my latest re-fin - Its an AV jazzmaster that had a run-in with a pedal board,  so it needed a new paint job.  I thought I'd prefer the mint guard,  but I've gotten to like the tort - even if it isn't vintage.
I would have voted for a mint guard with LPB, but this one I think has changed my mind.  Who did the refin, and what paint?  Just awesome!

DB
Thanks - I did all the work myself - I stripped it down to bare wood,  and repaired the dents.  Then  I primed and painted it using Re-Ranch products.  I used a little tinted clear to give it a little older look,  and then cleared, wet-sanded, and polished.  It looks pretty good I think.  I was originally going to buy a mint guard,  but I never did,  and was excited to finish it,  so I used the original tortoise guard.  I would have thought a mint guard would be the ticket too, but now that the tort is on,  I really like it.
Chris

sonicblue64
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sonicblue64 » Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:17 pm

mint green and gold all the way

DB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DB » Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:38 pm

Sonichris wrote:
Thanks - I did all the work myself - I stripped it down to bare wood,  and repaired the dents.  Then  I primed and painted it using Re-Ranch products.  I used a little tinted clear to give it a little older look,  and then cleared, wet-sanded, and polished.  It looks pretty good I think.  I was originally going to buy a mint guard,  but I never did,  and was excited to finish it,  so I used the original tortoise guard.  I would have thought a mint guard would be the ticket too, but now that the tort is on,  I really like it.
Chris
WOW, all I can say is fantastic job.  The ReRanch LPB looks darker and richer than a lot of the medium blue metallic that passes for LPB these days.  I'd keep the tort guard, as it looks just great.

DB
IV, V, VI, XII...

sookwinder
Mods
Mods

Post by sookwinder » Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:16 pm

I like black especially on the grainy ash bodies they used during that era
I have a late 73/early 74  sunburst Jazz bass which has an original black guard and very strong grain  ...  looks great.

I once considered looking for a correct era tort guard (actually maybe 6 months earlier ... mid 73), but then it would not look as good as the black one... so I shelved that idea.
relaxing alternative to doing actual work ...

DB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DB » Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:11 pm

OK, I think the consensus is Tort guards.  Given that what guard do you think I should use on these:

Jaguar Baritone in Surf Green:

Image Image

Jaguar Bass in Hot Rod Red:

Image Image

Obviously the guard from my baritone doesn't quite fit the bass, but you get the idea.  I'm really starting to like Tort on Red.

DB
IV, V, VI, XII...

Sonichris
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Sonichris » Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:10 pm

I think mint for both - mint looks best on custom color Jaguars i think - Something about the extra chrome.

DB - Are those both yours?  Did you paint the Baritone?  Looks really cool.

Chris

DB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DB » Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:25 pm

Sonichris wrote: I think mint for both - mint looks best on custom color Jaguars i think - Something about the extra chrome.

DB - Are those both yours?  Did you paint the Baritone?  Looks really cool.

Chris
Yes, both are mine.  The baritone is strung B-B, and I had it refin'd by Pat Wilkins of Wilkins Guitars (he does finish work for a ton of guitar firms).  He did a great job, you'd never know it wasn't the original finish.  I am really torn - I like both mint and tort - does that mean I need one of each?  ::)
IV, V, VI, XII...

Sonichris
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Sonichris » Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:36 pm

Yes, both are mine.  The baritone is strung B-B, and I had it refin'd by Pat Wilkins of Wilkins Guitars (he does finish work for a ton of guitar firms).  He did a great job, you'd never know it wasn't the original finish.  I am really torn - I like both mint and tort - does that mean I need one of each?  ::)

Yes -  :)

DB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DB » Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:40 pm

Sonichris wrote: Yes -  :)
Somehow my wife just doesn't understand this.  My 15 year old guitar playing son does... ;D

DB
IV, V, VI, XII...