'59 JM just arrived!!

Bringing your older offset back to life.
momunist
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

'59 JM just arrived!!

Post by momunist » Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:36 pm

so it just showed up from ups and i think i'm in pretty good shape on this one.  i'll post some pics as soon as i get some batteries for my camera.  my cell phone cam won't do it justice.  here's what i can tell so far.  unless i'm wrong, the body is in fact a '59.  it has the correct route on the control cavity (straight, no squiggle for the extra pguard holes).  it only has nine pickguard holes, and as the current finish is tranlucent, you can see that there aren't any extra that have been filled.  the body is penciled with what looks like 7/59 under the bridge pickup shield.  the serial on the neck plate is 36245 which i believe is correct for a '59.  the neck is straight and seems to be in pretty good shape, no twist.  the frets aren't super tall, but they don't have cowboy chords worn into them, and they seem to be original.  as long as the t rod isn't broken or stripped, i think i can get this neck set up to play very well.  i haven't investigated the truss rod, or taken the neck off to check the neck date.  i don't want to do so any more than necessary, so i'll probably wait until i send the body off for a refin and photograph it then.  headstock decal seems to be period correct (floating italicized, pat pending) for a '59 as well. all the body cavity shields are there and intact.  it has the "tall" thimbles like a '59 should.  and it has the correct kluson tuners (at least from what i can tell from the info on shine's website) and they all turn smoothly and seem to work.

i am STOKED!

pics to come soon.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Re: '59 JM just arrived!!

Post by zhivago » Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:43 pm

fantastic news!!!

sounds like a great guitar you got there...can't wait to see the pictures!! :)
Resident Spartan.

momunist
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by momunist » Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:44 pm

i can't wait to get a bridge on it and get it strung up!!

JazzBlaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JazzBlaster » Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:01 pm

congrats! lets see some pix!
It's not about the gear! It's about you, your hands, your imagination, your feelings.

Soiouz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Soiouz » Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:19 pm

That's the one we're talking about here, right?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fender-jazzmaster-1 ... dZViewItem

What electronics and pickguard will you use?  What kind of refin you want for it?

Can't wait to see your pics.

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:50 pm

Sounds like you got the makings of a good one there! Congrats!
Q. Are we not men?

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:22 pm

Soiouz wrote: That's the one we're talking about here, right?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fender-jazzmaster-1 ... dZViewItem
>:( So YOU outbid me by a few seconds!!  ;D Its cool. I only needed the neck with tuners & got them the following week anyway!!  :D

Congratulations. You got a real bargain there!! Look forward to seeing the end results.
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

momunist
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by momunist » Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:05 pm

i also bought both of those black bobbin pickups that were from that '60 that hankeroo was parting out.  btw, can i assume that dude is not someone on the forum?  it's kind of a bummer to see dudes part out fully functional complete guitars like that.  anyway, i think i probably paid too much for the pickups,  but i wasn't sure when i'd be able to find a matching bridge and neck set again.  i'm just gonna build it up with modern pots, caps, and switches at first until i can decide if i like the neck and can get it set up well.  but i've never met a fender yet that i couldn't whip into shape (i make a significant portion of my income as a touring guitar tech).  a member of the forum was also kind enough to offer me a deal on some vintage '59 pots and switches that i'll put into it eventually.  i have a repro bridge and trem that i bought cheap on ebay, i'm keeping a lookout for vintage replacements.  and i bought one of those gold guards that gpr has been selling on the bay.  i also have a torty and a shield plate that i could put on it.  either way i'm not gonna put any extra holes in the body, i'll just leave it without some of the screws.  i'm gonna build it up cheap for now, but once i verify the neck is in good shape, i'll try to find a 9 hole gold guard and have it refin'd.  the seller said the original color was blue, but there's no real way to verify that.  i already talked to lay's, RS Guitarworks, and another shop locally here about having it refin'd.  i'm a big fan of LPB, but maybe even San Marino if anyone could find the dupont/duco color blend for that.  LPB would probably be easier.  either way, i'm a vintage bridge/trem, a 9 hole guard, two strap buttons, and two knobs from having all the original parts.  i just can't see paying through the nose for vintage strap buttons and knobs.  maye i'll bet lucky and find some cheap on the bay.  i'm a bigger fan of putting straplocks on it, because i'm gonna play it, not hang it on the wall.  right now i'm just super excited to get it up and playing.

momunist
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by momunist » Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:10 pm

jazzheadmark wrote:

So YOU outbid me by a few seconds!!
sorry if i sniped anybody out.  no hard feelings i hope, i didn't mean to step on anybody's toes.  i wasn't on the forum then, and  i haven't been on here long enough to know how you all work, but i'd like to hope that  everyone here is supportive and cooperative enough to not get into total bidding wars with each other.

fuzzking
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fuzzking » Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:58 am

momunist wrote:
jazzheadmark wrote:

sorry if i sniped anybody out.  no hard feelings i hope, i didn't mean to step on anybody's toes.  i wasn't on the forum then, and  i haven't been on here long enough to know how you all work, but i'd like to hope that  everyone here is supportive and cooperative enough to not get into total bidding wars with each other.
I don't think there are so many nasty folks around here.  :-*
Nobody exists on purpose.

John Taverna
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by John Taverna » Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:50 am

...we want pics! we want pics!...
...congrats man! ;)

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:44 am

No hard feelings at all. I'm in the same position as you, maybe a few parts further on. We've a saying in england thats normally about girlfriends but it can be about Solid Pre-CBS necks too...

"You wait ages for one & then two come at the same time!!"

The folks on this site seem like gooduns. Great for technical advice, banter, parts verification etc... Like you say, parting a perfectly good guitar is a sin so I'm just glad its fallen into the right hands.
Someone could have just sold what you got on again & clearly profitted from it.
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:56 am

momunist wrote:
jazzheadmark wrote:

it's cool...I was actualy gonna bid on the pups for my project '61....not to worry though....I'll find another vintage pair at some point.
Resident Spartan.

momunist
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by momunist » Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:00 am

yeah, the winning bid wasn't exactly cheap.  i sometimes fall prey to ebay fever. :-[

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:22 am

See it as getting a '59 body almost for free. Those necks & tuners usually go for what you paid. Believe me I've just been there.