1961 Jazzmaster Spotted...

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
fullerplast
Mods
Mods

1961 Jazzmaster Spotted...

Post by fullerplast » Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:05 pm

... on the Lawrence Welk show!

I was visiting my Mom and Dad over in Clearwater this weekend. Saturday night they turned on the TV to an old rerun of The Lawrence Welk Show in black and white. A guy in Old Larry's band was playing a Jazzmaster. They never showed it up close, but the guy was standing up, wearing a suit, and playing the JM through what looked like a blonde Bassman. It had a white guard, but I couldn't tell the color due to the B&W. It was light though, maybe sonic blue? It didn't look like a matching head either but I couldn't be sure. At the end of the show, I found it was filmed in '61.

I know in the later 60s (color) versions of the show there's often a guy playing a VI.
Q. Are we not men?

JazzBlaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: 1961 Jazzmaster Spotted...

Post by JazzBlaster » Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:08 pm

perhaps that's where the Flaming lips got the idea for the cominatioon of the JM and bubble machines  :D
It's not about the gear! It's about you, your hands, your imagination, your feelings.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:10 pm

I love spotting guitars in TV shows or films!

My only offset claim was in a Greek 60s B&W film...I saw what appearred to be a white Jaguar.

oh,

also, in another film...probably very late 60s, I saw a Fender Mustang. :)

in all these old Greek films, if there were young people involved, they'd always have a scene where they'd gone to see a band...most of the time the guitars were crap...I was only lucky these two times :)
Resident Spartan.

JazzBlaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JazzBlaster » Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:45 pm

I love spotting guitars in TV shows or films!
that's usualy why I watch that kind of thing, to drool over the instruments!
It's not about the gear! It's about you, your hands, your imagination, your feelings.

Pumpkin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pumpkin » Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:18 pm

Funniest i ever seen is ELVIS films and his mustangs,he don't even play 'em.
My Mom Loooves elvis,i tell her he sux and couldnt even play properly but she sez  "oh,its his singing i like"
Anyway,that guy had so many mustangs,jazzmasters etc.....be the inequivalent of me owning a hundred microphones.

daydreamdelay
Mods
Mods

Post by daydreamdelay » Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:44 pm

yeah I find myself looking for offsets when I see old videos and movies too.. I was just watching Hollywood Knights the other night which is from 1980 but was set back in the 60's, there's a scene in the school gym for some scholarship presentation and there's gear set up on the stage with a olympic white Fender guitar leaning strings down on a piggyback amp.. I caught it out of the corner of my eye and they never showed it again, if I was at home I would've rewound it to see what it was but because I couldn't it's been driving me nuts ever since.. I want it to be a Jazzmaster or Bass VI so bad and I have no idea why I would care  :-[

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:49 pm

daydreamdelay wrote: yeah I find myself looking for offsets when I see old videos and movies too.. I was just watching Hollywood Knights the other night which is from 1980 but was set back in the 60's, there's a scene in the school gym for some scholarship presentation and there's gear set up on the stage with a olympic white Fender guitar leaning strings down on a piggyback amp.. I caught it out of the corner of my eye and they never showed it again, if I was at home I would've rewound it to see what it was but because I couldn't it's been driving me nuts ever since.. I want it to be a Jazzmaster or Bass VI so bad and I have no idea why I would care  :-[
it could be worse...in my mid-teens, me and a friend took up adidas-old-school-trainers-spotting on tv, films etc.  :o :o :o :o :o  :-[ :-[ :-[

the coolest one we found was....wait for this...

Phil Collins' video "Another Day In Paradise"

in the video, there's a shot of a homeless person sleeping in the streets, in front of a shop...in the shop window, there's a pair of Adidas Gazelles!

;D

I kid you not!

:)
Resident Spartan.

daydreamdelay
Mods
Mods

Post by daydreamdelay » Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:53 pm

haha that would make a great drinking game.. like spot chucks at an indie show and take a shot

you'd get completely derailed doing that  ;D

me love gazelles  :-*

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:59 pm

daydreamdelay wrote: haha that would make a great drinking game.. like spot chucks at an indie show and take a shot

you'd get completely derailed doing that  ;D

me love gazelles  :-*
heheh...totally! ;D

it then moved on to old-school Pumas too!!

it was mad...I went to the second ever Foo Fighters show in London back in the 90s.

the show was then aired on MTV....so when I went back to Athens to visit, I met up with my friend, and somehow we started talking about the Foo Fighters gig.

he was like "I saw the show on MTV...I don't really like the music...but Dave Grohl was wearing a pair of Puma Clydes!"

insane!!!

I was like "well spotted!"

high-fives and everything....god we were sad...thank god we eventualy got steady girlfriends and quit all that trainer-crazyness!!!

heheheheheheeh!

;D
Resident Spartan.

daydreamdelay
Mods
Mods

Post by daydreamdelay » Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:06 pm

that's funny  :D

speaking of the Foo Fighters and being on tv.. I took my wife to see them a few years back in Toronto, Dave mentioned during the show that it would be released on dvd so I'd guess we're on there somewhere. I could barely make it through the show in person so I'm not sure I'd make it through the whole dvd, it was at a huge airplane hanger and the sound was absolutely horrible.. worst sounding show I've been to, hopefully it translated better for the film going straight through the board  ???

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:09 pm

is it this one?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0391159/

I have it...it sounds great!!!  ???  :) :)

2am...need to get some sleep...need to be up at 9am...

speak in a few hours :)
Resident Spartan.

daydreamdelay
Mods
Mods

Post by daydreamdelay » Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:15 pm

yeah I think so.. I'll have to watch it sometime, see if I can spot myself  :D

Gill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Gill » Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:19 pm

The Lawrence Welk Show is a goldmine for spotting great vintage gear!!!

A couple of months ago I was watching and the bass player had a custom color Sonic Blue Bass VI!  :? :? :? :?

I don't know when the show first went color, but it the bass had Jag pickups and a pre '64 headstock logo.  I've seen some great amps on that show as well...

Gill