Stringing Kluson tuners....

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Stringing Kluson tuners....

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:11 pm

God, it shows how long its been since I handled an electric guitar!!!  :-[

Whats the best way to string Klusons. They've got a split-shaft & I'm used to acoustic tuners!!  ???
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

Jay
Admin
Admin

Re: Stringing Kluson tuners....

Post by Jay » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:19 pm

I trim a little more then two tuners past the one I'm stringing, insert the end into the hole, bend, wrap once, then tune to pitch.  Easy as pie.  And I much prefer this type of tuner for ease of stringing.

Superfuzz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Superfuzz » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:36 pm

Jay wrote: I trim a little more then two tuners past the one I'm stringing, insert the end into the hole, bend, wrap once, then tune to pitch.   Easy as pie.  And I much prefer this type of tuner for ease of stringing.
Yeah! if I had a Gibson style guitar I'll put them on anyway!!
Architecture students are like virgins with an itch they cannot scratch,  never build a building 'till are fifty, what kind of life is that?

FireAarro
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by FireAarro » Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:28 pm

Jay wrote: I trim a little more then two tuners past the one I'm stringing, insert the end into the hole, bend, wrap once, then tune to pitch.  Easy as pie.  And I much prefer this type of tuner for ease of stringing.
Agreed... no stabbed fingers like with the tuners with the hole through them. So much easier- I wonder why Fender prefers the other sort now?
Times change.  Remember when dog Jimmy used to go white and chalky?  Now it grows hair!  We got used to it. We'll get used to poly. -blueavenger

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:42 pm

I gave up trying to understand why Fender does anything years ago :(
Resident Spartan.

chrisjedijane
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by chrisjedijane » Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:00 pm

FireAarro wrote: I wonder why Fender prefers the other sort now?
probably because loads of people freak out when they see the split-post tuners, and don't know what to do. If i had a pound for evey time i saw a split-post strung up like a gibson tuner....
"we lack the motion to move to the new beat"

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:09 pm

Jay wrote: I trim a little more then two tuners past the one I'm stringing, insert the end into the hole, bend, wrap once, then tune to pitch.   Easy as pie.  And I much prefer this type of tuner for ease of stringing.
Absolutely .. dead simple and very neat. I hate seeing a headstock with string ends poking out everywhere.
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:45 pm

What do you mean by the hole? Do you mean you slot the string through/acros  the split shaft & then tune to pitch. Or do you actually thread it down the hole in the shaft, bend & tune.

I feel real plebby asking this but on all the photos I've found of JM headstocks they look so fucking neat & tidy. Like they've been strung as you would an acoustic & then trimmed down to the bone.

Also now would be a good time to ask.....how do you play an electric guitar?  :D Only Joking!!
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:48 pm

yeah, you stick the string down the hole, and then bend, and tune up....very tidy indeed.

they are my fave tuners as well.
Resident Spartan.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:56 pm

:D God. That just wouldn't have occurred to me but now that I'm looking at it it makes perfect sense!!  :D

Onwards & upwards!!!

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:19 pm

All strung (even the broken low E which wouldn't string the way I normally do it). Looks fab!!

BUT.....this is so typical. You sort one problem out & another comes-a-knockin'.

The back screw-in strap holder (dunno the name for it) has just fallen out!!  >:( I remember when I first got it back from being refinned it didn't tighten properly. Unfortunately my suspicions are correct & the wood has perished around the thread. Do you think wood glue would do the trick??. I won't be taking the screw out again so it seems like an alright plan. Or wood filler??

Jay
Admin
Admin

Post by Jay » Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:47 pm

Take a toothpick and break it into a few slivers.  Slather some wood glue on the bits and jam them in the hole.  Clean up any excess and let it dry for an hour or two.  Screw the button back in and you should be golden.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:05 pm

Sounds like a great idea!!! Shopping for wood glue & toothpicks first thing tomorrow!!

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Tue May 31, 2022 12:18 pm

I'm gonna come in here like a fucking ultimate necromancer and raise this thread from it's deep and dusty grave because it seems a good enough spot for me to put this question...

Anyone know of any decent 3x3 split post tuners available to fit a Gibson? I can't abide not having that little hole to pop the string down :D Trying to navigate the Kluson website is a bit of a pain and my knowledge of other tuners is limited as I've been using that brand for longer than I can remember. Bonus points for Klusons and Parchment/butterbean buttons, not scared to ream out or drill new screw holes if needed.
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

Flurko
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Flurko » Tue May 31, 2022 2:07 pm

johnnysomersett wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 12:18 pm
I'm gonna come in here like a fucking ultimate necromancer and raise this thread from it's deep and dusty grave because it seems a good enough spot for me to put this question...

Anyone know of any decent 3x3 split post tuners available to fit a Gibson? I can't abide not having that little hole to pop the string down :D Trying to navigate the Kluson website is a bit of a pain and my knowledge of other tuners is limited as I've been using that brand for longer than I can remember. Bonus points for Klusons and Parchment/butterbean buttons, not scared to ream out or drill new screw holes if needed.
I share your pain, I've looked at this before and most split post 3x3 tuners seem to be sold as "mosrite tuners", if it helps !