AVRI Surf Green = Brown Shell pickguard?

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
gutter rock
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

AVRI Surf Green = Brown Shell pickguard?

Post by gutter rock » Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:04 am

I am new here so.......... HELLO EVERYBODY!

Anyway, I have decided to get a new AVRI Jaguar to save wear and tear on my vintage '66 Jaguar.
I am certain I want Surf Green, however I MUST have the brown shell pickguard.  NO WHITE! 

Musicians Friend lists them as having brown shell, but several other sites say white.  Did MF make a mistake?  I will be real disappointed if I pull it out of the box and see the white guard. 

It also seems that no one has the surf green in stock, Music. Friend claims to be getting some in April !  I am about a month away cash wise, so this may be okay.  But, it does strike some fear in me that maybe the color is being discontinued on Jaguars or maybe that Musicians friend has no true idea of when they will be getting them and they are guess-stimating.  Anyone know of some other online USA retailers that keep a pretty good Jag stock?  I have tried MF, Samash, Music123, and Zzounds (they claim they have one, but show surf green having a white guard in the specs).  I know I could probably buy a brown shell and do it myself (which I will do if necessary).  However, when you spend 1400 on a guitar, you kind of want it perfect and not have to "mod" it immediately!

Thanks for any help !  If anyone owns a AVRI like I am lusting over, I would love to see some real world pics!  (tired of seeing the stock fender photos!)

Thank again and I am very glad I found this site!!!!

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Re: AVRI Surf Green = Brown Shell pickguard?

Post by zhivago » Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:06 am

hey, welcome to the forum :)

I'm pretty sure that Jags of that colour come with mint green guards....the only colours with tortoiseshell are Black, Olympic White and Sunburst....

but, it's not too difficult to swap the guard over to a brown tortoiseshell though.

actually, for the extra-cool factor, I'd pick up a real vintage guard off ebay and put it on the AVRI Jag...then it'll look amazing :)
Resident Spartan.

chrisjedijane
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by chrisjedijane » Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:39 am

I've only ever seen one surf green AVRI jag in a shop, and it had a mint green guard. I think you only get tort on the OLY white, Black and Sunburst colours in the AVRI range.
"we lack the motion to move to the new beat"

pullover
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pullover » Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:17 am

When you are ready to buy call MF's 1-800 number and have them check if it has the right guard. If it doesn't, ask them to throw it in with the purchase. They also match prices so if you find it somewhere else for cheaper.
Why should we buy postage stamps? We can make our own.

NickH
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by NickH » Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:03 am

Not mine, but one in a shop near me. But this has the standard mint guard. Tort would look so good :? :?

n.

gutter rock
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by gutter rock » Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:45 am

Thanks everyone for the help.  It would be typical Fender to put the white on there - they seem obsessed with white pickguards!  One thing I can appreciate about Gibson - very few white pickguards!  HA! 

Anyway, here is a link to musicians friend page showing the surf with the tort.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=510482
When you are ready to buy call MF's 1-800 number and have them check if it has the right guard. If it doesn't, ask them to throw it in with the purchase
Great idea Pullover, I will see if I can get a free guard out of them!  I just hope they actually get some in again, Fender probably doesn't sale too many surf green.  I fear a discontinuation !

RumorsOFsurF
Mods
Mods

Post by RumorsOFsurF » Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:04 am

NickH wrote: Not mine, but one in a shop near me. But this has the standard mint guard. Tort would look so good :? :?

n.

The tort would look good, but the mint is great too! :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :?
Damn kids, get off my lawn!

manwith2brains25
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by manwith2brains25 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:19 am

i just asked someone from the store and they said that it will come with the brown shell pickguard. but they have been wrong before.
still havent thought of a signature

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:26 am

It would be typical Fender to put the white on there - they seem obsessed with white pickguards!

They use the white/green guard because the guitar is a reissue. Chris nailed it below. Originally the tort guard was used on black, white, sunburst, and blonde. All other colors got the white guard. Now, I know all the "never say never" rules when it comes to Fender, and I'm sure there were exceptions. But that was the general rule when it came to body colors and pickguards. So it stands to reason that Fender would use the white guard on the custom color reissues.

Funny, five-ten years ago everyone wanted to score a green guard. People wanting to refinish their stripped JMs in custom colors wanted the green guard for accuracy's sake. Being as they were originally used onlyon custom colors, they were naturally alot less common than the tortoise guards. Thus, the price of a vintage green guard has always been fairly high, and the supply very low. Some people were deterred from refinishing in a custom color because they couldn't score the proper guard. But some people went ahead anyway... and guess what? IT LOOKS GOOD! Now we see all types of custom colors with tort guards... and it's become both acceptable and desirable. I even see vintage refins being sold as the original color and all original parts... with a tort guard. Well.... maybe. But probably not.

Bottom line is, use what looks better to you. If it looks good, then it looks good... even if historically wrong. Being somewhat of a traditionalist, I prefer the green guards on custom colors... but I will admit the tort looks great on some of them.

:)
Q. Are we not men?

Stereordinary
Expat
Expat

Post by Stereordinary » Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:53 pm

fullerplast wrote:Originally the tort guard was used on black, white, sunburst, and blonde.
Does that mean that all blonde (or Oly White if you'll humour me) offsets were shipped with 'tort guards or were mint guards a fairly common thing on that color specifically?

Oh, and to stay on topic; Surf Green with mint guard  :?...Surf Green with 'tort, not for me but yeah, call around and Musician's Friend or American Musical Supply oughtta be able to do it.
Rhoney Guitars, 2010-2017, 2024

FireAarro
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by FireAarro » Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:28 pm

RumorsOFsurF wrote:
NickH wrote: Not mine, but one in a shop near me. But this has the standard mint guard. Tort would look so good :? :?

n.

The tort would look good, but the mint is great too! :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :?
UBERDROOL
Times change.  Remember when dog Jimmy used to go white and chalky?  Now it grows hair!  We got used to it. We'll get used to poly. -blueavenger

gutter rock
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by gutter rock » Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:48 pm

Thanks everyone for the info!  I am aware that these are reissues and that the mint guards are the standard.  However, the confusion comes from the fact that different places seem to be getting different guards.  I called Fender and got some decent help actually!  The fender rep looked it up and apparently Fender lists the surf green as being available with either the mint OR the tortoise guard.  So, it would be whatever the store orders I guess.  Doesn't really matter too much to me, now that I think about it.  If it comes with mint, it will be changed to tortoise.

Fender is showing no stock available for surf green at this time and the rep couldn't tell me when there would be another run.  So, I will probably have to do some real searching to find one in the pipeline somewhere.  There is always hope that Musicians Friend will indeed get some in april as well.

FireAarro
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by FireAarro » Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:01 pm

Cool. I hope Fender never discontinues Surf Green on the AVRI offsets. I really like the AVRI surf green. It's much more subtle than some other surf greens (i.e. Fender Japan surf green)
Times change.  Remember when dog Jimmy used to go white and chalky?  Now it grows hair!  We got used to it. We'll get used to poly. -blueavenger

Felix
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Felix » Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:15 pm

FireAarro wrote: Cool. I hope Fender never discontinues Surf Green on the AVRI offsets. I really like the AVRI surf green. It's much more subtle than some other surf greens (i.e. Fender Japan surf green)
Isn't that the truth.  :(

They discontinued the IBM option. It makes me think that it is time to buy the OTM before it is discontinued as well.
"That's just Dorian"
- Dr. Cox

Who Ran The Iron Horse?
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Who Ran The Iron Horse? » Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:19 am

I think my Squier Telecaster is in Surf Green, and it has an aged white guard. I only really appreciated it recently, it was just "the nasty duck egg blue one". Now I quite like it, especially once it got set up and restrung, and cleaned.

By the way, if I take OTM to be Ocean Turquoise, what's the M? Metallic?
Don't you know that's sinful boy?