Gibson, Worst Place to Work??

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
kalipigeon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Gibson, Worst Place to Work??

Post by kalipigeon » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:11 pm

It also only comes in bowling ball finishes, and has knobs that are jeweltone finished in colors that don't match the finish colors (i.e. every color but the finish color).
And a few more abominations:

noisepunk
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by noisepunk » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:39 pm

Take back the zoot suit SG's; those looked bad ass.

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:20 am

Despite the bagging everyone gives Gibson, the people designing those limited run models must have been having fun.

Much more inventive and ridiculous than what Fender has put out :)

SirTrevor96
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SirTrevor96 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:03 am

WTF are those V's and Explorer's w. the holes in them? Was this to reduce weight?

emanon313
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by emanon313 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:06 pm

I doubt Gibson could be any worse than working @ GC!
And if I'm not in a band, don't mean I'm square...and if I am, well then I don't care..

SirTrevor96
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SirTrevor96 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:20 pm

emanon313 wrote:I doubt Gibson could be any worse than working @ GC!
What are your experiences working there??

austang
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by austang » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:10 am

Wow - those Firebirds and others really are ugly guitars!! (IMHO) How did a 13 year old's school project get accepted by the design team???

Lupercal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Lupercal » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:41 am

austang wrote:Wow - those Firebirds and others really are ugly guitars!! (IMHO) How did a 13 year old's school project get accepted by the design team???
Complete lack of anything? Say the right things in a boardroom and anything sounds good on paper...unfortunately this gets put into the finished model which they still think is good.

emanon313
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by emanon313 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:20 pm

SirTrevor96 wrote:

Forget whatever I posted before, this will piss off folks here more than anything: When I worked @ GC a guy walked in w/a CAR Coronado in EX cond, said he was looking to trade it for something new. The sales manager who handled him told him to find something he liked & they would talk about it. The guy grabbed a Squier Bullet & without blinking they did an EVEN TRADE!!! Not even sure if the poor guy got a case out of the deal. BTW, he was not a kid--prolly in his 50's at least. GC sold the Coronado to a local dealer a few hours later, likely for whatever the Blue Book was on it in '97, minus a dollar or two. How would you like to witness something like that & have to keep your mouth shut?
Thank god I got fired--a few weeks later I got a real job & I've been there ever since.
And if I'm not in a band, don't mean I'm square...and if I am, well then I don't care..

pjennings
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Location: Cleveland, Ohio "Rock 'n' Roll Capital of the World"

Post by pjennings » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:54 pm

emanon313 wrote:
SirTrevor96 wrote:

Forget whatever I posted before, this will piss off folks here more than anything: When I worked @ GC a guy walked in w/a CAR Coronado in EX cond, said he was looking to trade it for something new. The sales manager who handled him told him to find something he liked & they would talk about it. The guy grabbed a Squier Bullet & without blinking they did an EVEN TRADE!!! Not even sure if the poor guy got a case out of the deal. BTW, he was not a kid--prolly in his 50's at least. GC sold the Coronado to a local dealer a few hours later, likely for whatever the Blue Book was on it in '97, minus a dollar or two. How would you like to witness something like that & have to keep your mouth shut?
Thank god I got fired--a few weeks later I got a real job & I've been there ever since.

That's heart breaking to read! I remember bringing in my lefty 1975 Rickenbacker 4001 bass (with an original case) to CG to try out amps back in the late-90's. I was a naive looking teenager back then, but I knew exactly what that bass was worth. One of the sales guys enthusiastically offered me a whole $200 for it. Needless to say, I knew exactly what he was doing and walked away.

emanon313
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by emanon313 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:22 am

emanon313 wrote:
SirTrevor96 wrote:
emanon313 wrote:

That's heart breaking to read! I remember bringing in my lefty 1975 Rickenbacker 4001 bass (with an original case) to CG to try out amps back in the late-90's. I was a naive looking teenager back then, but I knew exactly what that bass was worth. One of the sales guys enthusiastically offered me a whole $200 for it. Needless to say, I knew exactly what he was doing and walked away.

I have long thought it would be funny to walk into a GC w/a nice vintage axe & play dumb, to see if they are sleazy enough to do a ridiculous trade (like vintage Fender for new Squier). Once they start writing up the deal, flatly back out & see what they do when I give 'em "blue balls". Deseperate salesholes are hilarious when they're not so annoying.

BTW, back in my GC days, though we were encouraged to be shysters whenever possible (umm, I mean good capitolists...buisness is buisness, folks) our store tended to err on the generous side when it came to vintage stuff, at least when the owner knew what they had. The same a-hole that did the deal I described also paid high retail (don't remember how much, but we all thought he was nuts) for a pretty lame '69 Strat (bad refin, broken headstock, didn't hold tune at all). But the seller was a regular, bought about a guitar a month.