What are the stock pickups in 90s MIM Duo-Sonics?

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
iggysnob
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

What are the stock pickups in 90s MIM Duo-Sonics?

Post by iggysnob » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:58 am

I got a 90s Mexican Duo-Sonic a couple of days ago, of which the previous owner replaced the bridge pickup with a Wilkinson WVS. He also provided me with the original bridge pickup. The neck pickup is noticeably louder than the Wilkinson replacement of the bridge, so I'll be matching it with the stock bridge pickup and see how I like them. All of which got me wondering what kind of pickups these guitars came with originally. Google didn't come up with any conclusive answers, so I thought I'd ask the knowledgeable people on here.

zip73
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: What are the stock pickups in 90s MIM Duo-Sonics?

Post by zip73 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:29 pm

Had one of these for a while. The PU's were very strong in it. As for the kind of PU, I'd guess some kind of MiM Strat variety.

loveinathens
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by loveinathens » Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:48 am

Don't quote me on this, but I remember reading about them being precursors to the Texas Special.

Subgenius
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Subgenius » Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:18 pm

Pretty sure they are Texas Specials.

Johnny Burrito
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Johnny Burrito » Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:05 pm

I've always wanted to put lipsticks in one of these.

PixMix
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PixMix » Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:05 pm

iggysnob wrote:I got a 90s Mexican Duo-Sonic a couple of days ago, of which the previous owner replaced the bridge pickup with a Wilkinson WVS. He also provided me with the original bridge pickup. The neck pickup is noticeably louder than the Wilkinson replacement of the bridge, so I'll be matching it with the stock bridge pickup and see how I like them. All of which got me wondering what kind of pickups these guitars came with originally. Google didn't come up with any conclusive answers, so I thought I'd ask the knowledgeable people on here.
Did you get the vintage white one off the Detroit CL? HNGD either way.

iggysnob
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by iggysnob » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:04 am

PixMix wrote:
iggysnob wrote:I got a 90s Mexican Duo-Sonic a couple of days ago, of which the previous owner replaced the bridge pickup with a Wilkinson WVS. He also provided me with the original bridge pickup. The neck pickup is noticeably louder than the Wilkinson replacement of the bridge, so I'll be matching it with the stock bridge pickup and see how I like them. All of which got me wondering what kind of pickups these guitars came with originally. Google didn't come up with any conclusive answers, so I thought I'd ask the knowledgeable people on here.
Did you get the vintage white one off the Detroit CL? HNGD either way.
Thanks! No I didn't get that one as I'm in the Netherlands. Mine's black and I am currently waiting for a new pick guard and tuners to be delivered.

So far my impressions are that some very interesting choices were made considering the quality of the individual components. I can confirm that the tuners and scratch plate are crap. The tuners are wonky and have a lot of plastic parts that are painted silver. The plastic of the pick guard is very brittle and mine has cracked like a lot I have seen online. There is no electrical shielding and the paint job under the pick guard is pretty half-assed.
I'm guessing that these choices were made to compensate for the costs of the woods used, as they're pretty fancy. It's got a slab maple fret board with some nice figuring on it. The stuff that 80's power strat people would adore. The neck plays nice and doesn't have the thick and sticky poly finish that my Squier CV Duo has. The body is also a lot more resonant than my Squier.
All in all it's a pretty nice guitar but expect to make some upgrades. If you're inclined to short scales like I am and can get a good deal on one go for it!

iggysnob
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by iggysnob » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:35 am

So general consensus is that these pickups are similar/precursors to the Texas Specials? Can we put this in the books?