Epiphone Coronet Elitist Japan Only Model

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
cosmitron67
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Epiphone Coronet Elitist Japan Only Model

Post by cosmitron67 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:53 pm

Hey Guys long time no talk.
I've been in Japan for the past 2 weeks (what an AMAZING TRIP) and guess what I brought back with me?
Long tenon shot:
Quick (jetlagged) video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uq4bjfA8wTA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(Egnater 15w)

I used to own an original 1964 Coronet I had to part with. So seeing this beauty in some of the Tokyo guitar shops was very good surprise! I had an Orville by Gibson made by Terada and have a Gretsch Duo Jet also from the same factory. The finish on these is out of this world. So I was pretty confident about this particular aspect of the guitar. But I've never been so thrilled about Japanese mahogany guitars that could sound very dull despite their beauty sometimes, and I also had a Wilshire 62 reissue MIUSA and wanted to get rid of it as soon as I could, so needless to say I tried it with caution.

The Coronet has a one piece African mahogany neck and a one piece body with the same wood (so the Japanese mahogany issue is out), beautiful grain! The fretboard is made of Brazilian Rosewood. Nickel hardware, US pickups, switches and pots, wraped in a beautiful thin glossy Nitro. For that price (180000 Y, equals 1350€) there's nothing that beats it.
Tried one at Ishibashi Shibuya shop with a Hugues & Kettner amp. It was 4pm something, I was jetlagged, the shop was full of youngsters playing very loud open chords. I couldn't keep the guitar in tune, and the amp sounded just bad but I gave it another shot the next morning, at Ikebe, in perfect conditions. Japanese guitar shops employees are all SO nice, respectful, calm and very patient. I loved the model I played, but decided to wait until the end of my journey in Japan to decide. Finally came back two weeks later firmly convinced, managed to spare enough cash without holding myself on food, toys, clothes and artbooks, after going in all the shops I stumbled upon in Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka. BTW, I had many chances to play some CREWS gibson replicas. These guitars are really awesome!
It was 5 minutes before the shop closing, once again, IKEBE people were all very welcoming, patient and calm. The guy I spoke to even offered me to try the guitar again in 2 different amps! They took a very professional time to check the guitar again, each pot, each pickup, gently cleaned the guitar and put it back in its case, just as if they were taking care of some precious Katana or something (western guy pov, sorry). It took like 15 min! Wonderful experience!
Anyway, unplugged, it's not as loud as my ex Coronet, but it's still very generous, it sounds great, tight and defined. The Gibson P90 are just great imho and after a few tweaks I got the grit I want. The neck is larger and somewhat chunkier than the vintage Epiphone solidbodies I had (Coronet, Wilshire and Olympic) it makes it set for more modern playground and it's also easier to play for an adult.
I also swapped the 10/49 strings with a heavier gauge (10/52) and I have NO tuning issues. The Tremotone adds plenty of tone and sustain and does its Bigsby-esque job brilliantly.
Never heard a single note from Tamio Okuda, but I really appreciate his tastes. I can only wish this will bring Epiphone Elitist proper Reissues and I'd go right back in Tokyo if they ever produce a Crestwood Deluxe.
Last edited by cosmitron67 on Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HorseyBoy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HorseyBoy » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:45 am

^ Lovely photos, man! Sounds great in the video, too.
And I know what you mean about the Japanese guitar shopping experience. I love how the employees in the bigger chains have little aprons and uniforms and care so much about doing a good job.

øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by øøøøøøø » Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:08 pm

repoman wrote:
PorkyPrimeCut wrote:Aah, I didn't look, no.

Did the original Crestwoods come in that colour though? It's gorgeous!!
Yes, the finish is called Green Silver Fox which is silver pore filler covered in translucent paint

Epiphone Coronets/Wilshires/Crestwoods always seem to have pretty ridiculous asking prices on ebay for some reason (more so than other vintage guitars like SGs, Firebirds- which I think would be a lot more desirable?).
hey, that's MY coronet! and my rug. and my house.

Coronets didn't have neck pickups, so if this one does (as it appears to), it's not a "reissue" but more of an "interpretation."

"Silver Fox" isn't green at all. It looks that way because the nitro lacquer yellows, and over the black it appears green (in conjunction with the white pore filler).

cosmitron67
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cosmitron67 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:23 pm

øøøøøøø wrote: Coronets didn't have neck pickups, so if this one does (as it appears to), it's not a "reissue" but more of an "interpretation."

"Silver Fox" isn't green at all. It looks that way because the nitro lacquer yellows, and over the black it appears green (in conjunction with the white pore filler).
Yup. This one is a sig from Tamio Okuda, a pretty famous musician in Japan, by no means a reissue. Asymmetric Coronets had batwing headstocks and there was no Tremotone on them from factory but some had a Maestro Vibrola.