Couldn’t find an MJT-specificities thread: POST PICS PLZ

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Couldn’t find an MJT-specificities thread: POST PICS PLZ

Post by Embenny » Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:06 pm

This is funny, I also looked at those AV65 necks and I also recently talked to MJT about finishing the headstock and I also recently embarked on a quest to find someone who could do a JMJM or AV65 profile. I guess birds of a feather flock together here on OSG.

FYI when I spoke to them they were willing to spray the headstock of a Fender neck and reapply a decal but wanted $200 to do so.

What's this about musikraft and incorrect blocks? I thought they were the only ones who could do them right?
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:41 pm

mbene085 wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:06 pm
This is funny, I also looked at those AV65 necks and I also recently talked to MJT about finishing the headstock and I also recently embarked on a quest to find someone who could do a JMJM or AV65 profile. I guess birds of a feather flock together here on OSG.

FYI when I spoke to them they were willing to spray the headstock of a Fender neck and reapply a decal but wanted $200 to do so.

What's this about musikraft and incorrect blocks? I thought they were the only ones who could do them right?
They’re definitely the closest, but not correct for us vintage snobs. It irks me to see the incorrect amount of rosewood between the gaps. A lot of people also do not realize that fret size plays a role in our this looks.

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:47 pm

Mechanical Birds wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:51 pm
Unicorn Warrior wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:53 pm
Mechanical Birds wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:08 am
I’ve made enough money to where I can do this I guess but am anxious about having all my details right. Do we have any posters anymore who make necks for hire? The only couple guys I can think of are both out of commission, and if possible I’d like to give one of our guys business over anyone anywhere else.
I sympathize with you. I’ve basically given up on the correct block and binding specs. Musikraft is unwilling to go with the specific measurements of CBS fender.

I opted to do a project with the next best thing which was a pre-cbs aged clay dot look.
Oh no way so finally (!!!) it’s confirmed that it isn’t just me! And that’s a thing, like they straight up just refuse to do it the right way? That sucks so bad! There are AV65 necks from Stratosphere for like $500 and I’m kinda leaning toward maybe just doing that to get it over with, but I think MJT guys are weird and won’t just spray over the headstock for me so even that still isn’t gonna cut it, and I’m still without the block inlays.

I can’t believe how hard of a time I’m having with this. Like, you’d think any of the 3/5 places that make custom necks would have what I want as a readily available template... really stupid that that isn’t a thing!

So yeah, nobody picked up the slack from ADH or Paul Rhoney? I’ll even forget about trying to apply specific measurements, like if I can just get the blocks and binding right I’ll be content with that. Dying for suggestions if anybody’s got any
I’ve bought an AO neck for my last project and it mildly scratched the itch. I’ve also go an incoming clay dot FSR neck commissioned by Dave’s. Both bought from stratosphere. It’s expensive, but also I think it’s a good move because those necks will retain value more than whatever custom neck you build.

With that said, the vintage B and B itch still persists. If a maker can make one, I’ll eventually have to grab one. Probably for a Jaguar project next as I’ll have 2 JMs after these projects. Then again, the MIJ necks I believe are fairly close but never pop up for sale.

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:27 pm

Also on all the MIJ ones I’ve seen the material they use looks like shit. Almost like a picture of pearloid or something, just always kinda hated it. Having said that if I could find one I’d probably settle for one of the LPB 66 reissues but in all the time I’ve known about them I’ve only seen 4 for sale, and 3 of them were ones that had already sold :/

It’s annoying to me that it’s not an option for whatever reissue/reissue adjacent line they’re doing. Like how there are ~4/5 Strat or Tele variants - they could have done an AV66 that was exactly the same as the AV65 in every way only it’d have block inlays instead of dots. I know nothing about the finer points of guitar production/retail but that seems like a pretty painless way to make the line appear more expansive with such a minimal difference in cost/labor.

It seems like something that inevitably they’re just gonna have to do, like there’s only so many things they could possibly reissue and in terms of their big attractions, a 66 Jaguar and Jazzmaster are like the only things they’ve yet to really go for. I guess maybe a proper AV/AO Mustang or the other Student Models, but that sounds way less likely/necessary to me.

I bought a Rhoney Starcaster neck from Tyler as one of my first transactions on here and sadly I never got to use it. I sent it to Rowyco and got the headstock done in black with the swoosh in gold intending to use it on a CP Jazzmaster with an anodized gold guard but the more I got into guitars the less I was excited to compromise on what I really wanted. The neck sat for like two years before I ended up selling it on reverb and that’s become a sore spot for me. Paul told me it was one of his earliest attempts, and it had its share of kinks but still felt great and would have looked awesome with LPB/white, or pearloid as I’d been discussing with him, but it’s not coming back.

I didn’t find out about ADH until years after he’d stopped making guitars but his approach, to me, was the coolest thing in the world. Weird mishmash partscasters and replicas and his own thing. I really wish he was still doing stuff, especially because as far as I know, nobody really picked up the torch after he bowed out.

TL;DR why is this so stupidly hard

garyptaszek
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by garyptaszek » Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:13 am

Hands down THE best Telemaster I’ve ever seen :? :-*
fever606 wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:59 am

Got the Fiesta Red body from an MJT eBay auction, built this up as a “1st Christmas” present for my daughter a few years ago…

Roasted maple neck (Musikraft IIRC), AVRI vibrato, Mastery bridge, Glendale control bits, Novak wide range in the neck. I have an aged guard for it, just never put it on... I kinda like it like this.

fever606
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fever606 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:19 am

garyptaszek wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:13 am
You're too kind, sir...

Side note: I’ve got a year to put together a... companion guitar to this one. :ph34r:

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:48 pm

Does anyone on OSG do custom necks anymore?

Really leaning into just getting an AV65 and I think it’d make me happy but I’d be so much more excited if it had block inlays

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:56 pm

Mechanical Birds wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:48 pm
Does anyone on OSG do custom necks anymore?

Really leaning into just getting an AV65 and I think it’d make me happy but I’d be so much more excited if it had block inlays
It may make you temporarily happy. But, you’ll always want those blocks, baby!

garyptaszek
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by garyptaszek » Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:54 am

fever606 wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:19 am
garyptaszek wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:13 am
You're too kind, sir...

Side note: I’ve got a year to put together a... companion guitar to this one. :ph34r:
For me I hope! :P

jakeisjake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jakeisjake » Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:52 pm

jakeisjake wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:49 am
A couple of pics:

with a Spitfire Tort:
Stock Tort (All Parts):

It's halfway through winter in Vermont and the checking has begun...

If I was a byrd, I'd be mighty sore every time they shut the door and I don't think I'd sing...

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:52 pm

jakeisjake wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:52 pm
jakeisjake wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:49 am
A couple of pics:

with a Spitfire Tort:
Stock Tort (All Parts):

It's halfway through winter in Vermont and the checking has begun...

Was yours closet clean with no checking prior?

jakeisjake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jakeisjake » Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:42 am

Yes, it was. it had no dings and no checking. Just a matte finish. I wanted it to check, but I didn't want them to go overboard. lol

It turns out Vermont went overboard on it.

Also, I am not a "careful" guy with guitars, and it's not uncommon for me to ding them. But this finish is especially soft.
If I was a byrd, I'd be mighty sore every time they shut the door and I don't think I'd sing...

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:46 am

jakeisjake wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:42 am
Yes, it was. it had no dings and no checking. Just a matte finish. I wanted it to check, but I didn't want them to go overboard. lol

It turns out Vermont went overboard on it.

Also, I am not a "careful" guy with guitars, and it's not uncommon for me to ding them. But this finish is especially soft.
I’ve asked for checking on my finish that I’m getting completed right now. But I’m like you, not sure I want them to go overboard with it. Yours looks great, but it’s also natural opposed to them doing it.

Are you satisfied with the finish?

jakeisjake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jakeisjake » Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:56 am

Unicorn Warrior wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:46 am

I’ve asked for checking on my finish that I’m getting completed right now. But I’m like you, not sure I want them to go overboard with it. Yours looks great, but it’s also natural opposed to them doing it.

Are you satisfied with the finish?

Overall, yes. Like I said, it is soft. I said "I'm not a careful guy"...but I'm not a cave man, either. The amount of dinging surprises me. So...I wish it was a little tougher. But the checking is pretty cool and the overall quality is excellent. I love the matte finish and the color is great. The finish on my Thin Skin Jaguar is much tougher...it doesn't ding at all (except for where I wanted the dings). But maybe the matte finish vs the satin (gloss?) finish of the Jag has something to with that...I don't know.

From what I can tell, they do a good job of keeping it as the buyer wants it. Their relic'ing can go way overboard (but that's what some people want)...I just wanted something that didn't look brand new and shiny, and they definitely achieved that. Their examples of "light checking" look pretty good.

I don't think this finish is for someone who wants to keep their guitar looking perfect, tho.

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:17 pm

The only thing keeping the AV65 finishes from being perfect to me is the lack of the normal white layer under my Ocean Turquoise thing

I wouldn’t be into a matte finish like I’d want the top coat on. I wonder if they’re weird about asking for a couple extra coats of clear?

I’ve owned like 6/7 AVRI guitars and surprisingly the most fragile modern Fender finish I’ve come across was a Marr Jaguar. You could dent that thing with yr fingernails