*UPDATED* Routing Classic Vibe Jazzmaster for Bridge Humbucker

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
mikeehairdo
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

*UPDATED* Routing Classic Vibe Jazzmaster for Bridge Humbucker

Post by mikeehairdo » Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:32 am

Hey all,

First real post here. I tried the search function, but couldn't find the info I'm hoping to find here.

I purchased a Squier Classic Vibe Jazzmaster a few years back. Excellent guitar, one of my absolute favourites that I've come across over the years. The stock pickups worked pretty great for me for a long time, but, seeing as I'm predominantly playing louder, overdriven punky stuff these days, I figure it's time for a mod. I'd like to change the bridge pickup to a Dimarzio Tone Zone, but I understand that the route is likely too shallow to accommodate the legs of the humbucker. I'm going to be keeping this guitar, so I'm not concerned with resale value or any of that, and I'm fine with it mostly being a mod platform at this point.

I guess this leads me to two questions:

1/ Routing: Has anyone got any advice on routing? Like the depth of the routing I'd have to do, positioning, etc.

2/ Mounting: My vanity takes over at this point. I'd prefer to use a hollowed out JM cover to mount the pickup than get a new pickup. I've got a few spare covers kicking around, does anyone have any advice on turning one into a mounting ring for the humbucker?

Thanks in advance pals.
Last edited by mikeehairdo on Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

DrQuasar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Routing Classic Vibe Jazzmaster for Bridge Humbucker

Post by DrQuasar » Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:51 am

Mounting humbuckers to a jazzmaster

Here is a thread that might help you

mikeehairdo
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Routing Classic Vibe Jazzmaster for Bridge Humbucker

Post by mikeehairdo » Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:39 am

DrQuasar wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:51 am
Mounting humbuckers to a jazzmaster

Here is a thread that might help you
Thanks a million pal. I did eventually figure out a work around, but the suggestions in that thread will no doubt be more elegant/effective.

mikeehairdo
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: *UPDATED* Routing Classic Vibe Jazzmaster for Bridge Humbucker

Post by mikeehairdo » Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:48 am

So, for anyone interested;

As a rather inelegant and shoddy work around, I ended up just routing out a spare JM cover to accommodate the Lil 59:

I didn't angle it the way it would be in a Strat, didn't think it'd make much of a difference. I ended up drilling some pilot holes into the pickup cavity to allow clearance for the long, standard pickup mounting screws I have. First one fit fine, the second one... let's just save my Jazzmaster has one extra speed hole now.

Here's the finished product:

Don't know that the stock 1megs will agree with the Lil 59, but we'll see how it goes with some jam/giggable volume levels. I think I will be revisiting the idea with a full sized humbucker eventually, and ultimately I'll most likely just try to get Vineham out of NFLD to wind me some custom pickups.

Ah, the joys of not leaving well enough alone.

PS. My guitar sounds like shit now.

GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GilmourD » Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:11 am

mikeehairdo wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:48 am
In what ways are you not down with why it sounds brown?

Also, it's stuff like this that furthers my desire to get a 3D printer.

mikeehairdo
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by mikeehairdo » Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:25 am

GilmourD wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:11 am
mikeehairdo wrote:
In what ways are you not down with why it sounds brown?

Also, it's stuff like this that furthers my desire to get a 3D printer.
I think I'm just not a fan of the Lil 59; It really reminded me why I took it out of my Strat, I think. I find that the L 59 is a bit nasal sounding, especially in comparison to the neck pickup. I think I just always expect that particular pickup to be something that it isn't and that's on me. It's all entirely subjective, obviously, and my flippant remark was just my effort to inject a bit of humour into the post. I think it's probably got some good sounds in it if I futz about with a bit.

A 3D printer certainly would've saved me some time and a few close calls with the exacto knife. It sounds like a wise investment.

ARAMP1
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ARAMP1 » Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:36 am

I did full size humbuckers but used the jazzmaster pickup covers as mounting points. It works pretty well.

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:58 am

mikeehairdo wrote:
Is it a lot shittier? or just a Lil?
:D

I have a guitar with one of those Duncan Lil pickups in it, and it sounds like complete ass.
Doug
@dpcannafax

Steadyriot.
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Steadyriot. » Thu Dec 21, 2023 1:31 am

ThePearDream wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:58 am
mikeehairdo wrote:

I have a guitar with one of those Duncan Lil pickups in it, and it sounds like complete ass.
+1 it SUCKS
"If someone duetted with a Bald Eagle, they could rule the Country charts from here to eternity." ~shadowplay

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:25 am

Steadyriot. wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 1:31 am
ThePearDream wrote:
mikeehairdo wrote:

+1 it SUCKS
I never understood the appeal of those little Humbuckers in the first place… I mean, they already look like shit…
but glad there is some consensus about them.

mikeehairdo
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by mikeehairdo » Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:30 am

ARAMP1 wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:36 am
I did full size humbuckers but used the jazzmaster pickup covers as mounting points. It works pretty well.

This was more in line with what I was I was hoping to achieve. I think at some point I'm going to try and get something along the lines of what you've got there. Rad looking set up by the way. And big fan of that colour. Outta curiousity, what pickups is your JM loaded with?

mikeehairdo
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by mikeehairdo » Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:32 am

ThePearDream wrote:
mikeehairdo wrote:

Compared to the stock pickups, a lot shittier haha. I have a weird relationship with these little buckers. I think they a sound. But it's not necessarily a sound that good for much outside copping a good Maiden impression, and even then it's a bit touch and go. This one is just not the vibe.

GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GilmourD » Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:53 am

mikeehairdo wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:32 am
ThePearDream wrote:
mikeehairdo wrote:

Compared to the stock pickups, a lot shittier haha. I have a weird relationship with these little buckers. I think they a sound. But it's not necessarily a sound that good for much outside copping a good Maiden impression, and even then it's a bit touch and go. This one is just not the vibe.
I think it depends on your setup and your genre. They're also super-sensitive to height adjustment. On top of that, they're a whole different thing than a Jazzmaster pickup. The geometry on them basically works opposite from what a JM pickup does.

ARAMP1
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ARAMP1 » Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:05 pm

mikeehairdo wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:30 am
This was more in line with what I was I was hoping to achieve. I think at some point I'm going to try and get something along the lines of what you've got there. Rad looking set up by the way. And big fan of that colour. Outta curiousity, what pickups is your JM loaded with?
Thanks! It's a Duncan JB in the bridge and an overwound PAF in the neck to channel my inner Nirvana. ;D

mikeehairdo
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by mikeehairdo » Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:13 am

GilmourD wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:53 am
mikeehairdo wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:32 am
ThePearDream wrote:

I think it depends on your setup and your genre. They're also super-sensitive to height adjustment. On top of that, they're a whole different thing than a Jazzmaster pickup. The geometry on them basically works opposite from what a JM pickup does.
You're super right about all of that, which is why I think it's mostly a "me" thing; trying to/hoping this pickup might be something it's not.